Topic: Extra Turns in EDH

Honestly, extra turn cards in EDH bug me far too much. My group at my local card shop LOVE to abuse extra turn cards and try to combo out while everyone else just sits there bored. I play EDH because I am not a hardcore player and I like the casual format. Unfortunately, my local card shop is limited on players so I do get stuck playing against them often.

So what is your opinion of Extra Turn cards in EDH? I think they should all be banned. I have been on the wrong end of them too many times.

(Also, at what point does EDH become ruined when someone comes in with a $1000-$2000 deck while everyone else is sitting with $100-$300 decks. And yes, I know, value isn't everything but it does make a huge difference.)

Last edited by Mowza2k2 (2013-09-19 09:46:10)

I collect Requiem Angel and am always willing to take one in a trade.

Profile | Tradelist | Wishlist

Re: Extra Turns in EDH

Make a deck that forces them to answer you instead of the other way around.  Make something hyper aggressive, or something that hates on their strategy.   Let them be on the receiving end of it.  If nothing else you'll force more interaction, and the interactions are what make the game fun.  You don't want to sit there and play a solo game just as much as you don't want to watch them do it.  Run cards like Red Elemental Blast and Stranglehold main deck, or run something with blue and SpellJack their extra turns or Memory Lapse/Lapse of Certainty them.  Better yet, put Memory Lapse or Abeyance on an Isochron Scepter and Time Walk them for a while.

edit:

You can force them into only one spell per tun (they can still gain tempo but much less) Arcane laboratory and rule of law do this. 
You can play aggro that hates on control Gaddock Teeg and Dosan the Falling Leaf come to mind
You can answer extra turn spells directly (see above stranglehold suggestion)
You can play control/tempo
You can play winter orb/stax

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-09-21 19:48:28)

Hey I didn't actually know stranglehold existed, that is a brilliant card for my playgroup and it fits my Zedruu deck. See my main EDH deck is Mono-white. Against most players it is fine and holds its own well, but I can't really control instants and sorceries.
I think I am just going to try the Isochron Scepter+Random card combo. I think I will try Silence on my Isochron Scepter.....

I collect Requiem Angel and am always willing to take one in a trade.

Profile | Tradelist | Wishlist

Mowza2k2 wrote:

Hey I didn't actually know stranglehold existed, that is a brilliant card for my playgroup and it fits my Zedruu deck. See my main EDH deck is Mono-white. Against most players it is fine and holds its own well, but I can't really control instants and sorceries.
I think I am just going to try the Isochron Scepter+Random card combo. I think I will try Silence on my Isochron Scepter.....

Orim's Chant is the white Time Walk.  wink  Put that on a scepter.  Note that you can kick it when casting from the scepter as well.   Abeyance and Silence are also good cheap options.

Also Stranglehold is a great card for turning off fetch lands, so it's never a dead draw.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-09-22 13:28:24)

dont forget to add in Grand Abolisher!

I know this post is kind of old but here are some cards That I always found useful for when My friends take extra turns.
Bitter Ordeal, Curse of Echoes, Echo Mage, Fork, Mischievous Quanar, Reverberate, , Spelltwine, Twincast, Wild Ricochet
Might not be the best choices but when you are taking extra turns when they are they will pretty much stop

In any other format, the response to being repeatedly beaten by a strategy or a card is, generally speaking, not to call for its banning, but to build your deck and formulate your strategy and execute your plays with that card in mind. A lot of good cards that translate to exactly that have been listed here.

Overall though, I think the message is, instead of calling a strategy or card(s) abusive/ought-to-be-banned, cowboy up and get creative.