Topic: Fleecemane lion VS Savage summoning

So fleeceman lion the card says If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.

So Savage summoning means it can't be countered and it puts a +1/+1 counter on the creature. Does that mean it would come into play monstrous because it has a counter on it?

Just trying to wrap my mind around how monstrous works.....any help would be cool beans

Re: Fleecemane lion VS Savage summoning

You're misunderstanding what it means to make a creature monstrous.  Monstrous is an activated ability that you pay for once the creature is already in play, which, if allowed to resolve, will result in the counters being placed on the creature and whatever other ability set off.

So for your scenario, you cast Savage Summoning to make the Fleecemane Lion uncounterable.  It will enter play with a +1/+1 counter.  Then AFTER the lion is in play, you can pay the five to make it monstrous, giving it another counter, making it a 5/5, hexproof, indestructible.

Keep in mind that activating a monstrous ability does NOT preclude a creature from getting other counters, or vice versa.  If a creature has counters, it can still be made monstrous if you pay the ability.  However, monstrous can only be activated once, meaning the biggest you can pump the Fleecemane without help from any other cards is a 4/4.

Does that clarify things?

Fully does. I knew it was an ability that needed to be activated after it was in play. i was just wondering if there was a bad ass loop hole to skip paying 5. thank you for the help. smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it actually adds an additional "type" to the monster so for fleecemane it would actually be a Monstrous Creature - Cat, in the type area of the card.

elpablo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it actually adds an additional "type" to the monster so for fleecemane it would actually be a Monstrous Creature - Cat, in the type area of the card.

Negative, no modification to the creature type. 

The official rules for monstrosity are as follows:

701.28. Monstrosity

701.28a "Monstrosity N" means "If this permanent isn't monstrous, put N +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous." Monstrous is a condition of that permanent that can be referred to by other abilities.

701.28b If a permanent's ability instructs a player to "monstrosity X," other abilities of that permanent may also refer to X. The value of X in those abilities is equal to the value of X as that permanent became monstrous.

Once a creature becomes monstrous, it can't become monstrous again. If the creature is already monstrous when the monstrosity ability resolves, nothing happens.

Monstrous isn't an ability that a creature has. It's just something true about that creature. If the creature stops being a creature or loses its abilities, it will continue to be monstrous.

An ability that triggers when a creature becomes monstrous won't trigger if that creature isn't on the battlefield when its monstrosity ability resolves.

(Note this was copied and pasted from the rules addendum that was sent out prior to Theros pre-releases.)

right right... more like a keyword ability, flying or unblockable than a type. 

probably won't come up much anyway.  Not a lot of monsterous creatures seeing play at the moment.  Fleecemane and emberswallower is all I can think of.

Don't forget Arbor Colossus, Polukranos, or Stormbreath Dragon.

I really wish they would have printed a monstrous marker as one of the tokens. Idk, i just think it would be cool. I also think it's awkward that they didn't build in some sort of representation into the rules. As per my understanding its just a thing after it's activated which is wierd. considering they spend so mcuh time making it easier to remember things.