Topic: Canceling a trade after it is accepted

Was in a trade   
It was a big one for a tarmogoyf on my end.
Basically we made a deal, He threw out a proposal and said take it or leave it.
I mulled it over and agreed to the trade.
He agreed to send pictures of his cards and asked for my email, which I gave him.
I waited 24 hours for pictures which he never sent.
He then cancelled the trade because he sold his snapcasters
He then proceeded to offer his snapcasters in other trades.

My question is, is this allowed?  I thought when a trade was accepted there was a certain expectation of honoring the trade. He's the one that made the take it or leave it proposal. So i agree then he tells me he sold his cards. Then after that he said i can offer him another trade with different cards.

This seems extremely shady, is this standard practice?

any feedback would be appreciated

Last edited by BigChip (2013-10-16 20:03:07)

Re: Canceling a trade after it is accepted

So the Deckbox rules specifically forbid the cancellation of an agreed trade.  However, in order for a trade to be "agreed" requires that addresses be exchanged.  Specifically, the rules state:

"2.1 After the trade is accepted and addresses exchanged, there is no backing out. The transaction is considered confirmed. If a user needs to back out because he cannot complete (for objective reasons, like missing cards) the trade, he must be willing to negotiate a compensatory trade with the other party."

So there are several questions to ask here.  First, was the agreement something in the chat box or did each of you formally agree to the trade by clicking the "agree to this trade" button that comes up with trade proposals?  Second, were addresses ever exchanged?

If the answer to the first question is that it was just a verbal agreement, well, it's not cool to back out, but nothing says you're bound to anything until you've actually clicked that you agree to the proposed trade.  If yes, then it might warrant speaking to Catinca regarding whether this warrants filing a bad trader report.

If the answer to the second question is no, by the rules as they're written nobody had completely agreed, and again, it sucks, but nothing to really do about it.  If the answer is yes, then you need to file a bad trader report by following the stickied guidelines in the bad traders forum.

I hope that clarifies things.

Only when addresses are exchanged is the trade consider accepted and the both people are then responsible for getting the cards sent out. Unfortunately it just sounds like the other person in your deal decided to change his mind and do something else with the Snaps.

You could leave 0 or negative feedback in the cancelled trade but that doesnt do anything to a person overall feedback.

EDIT: Dam, TyWoo, Your fast. You beat me to the punch lol smile

Last edited by Helios52 (2013-10-16 20:15:11)

Yeah no addresses were exchanged in the last few days I have noticed that traders with large feedback seem to use this to their advantage. They accept a trade then leave it in the address section, make new stipulations and can cancel it without it being on their permanent trades as a broken trade.

We verbally agreed and left it at

BigChip    Well i thought about it bud, I think this is a good deal for both of us. I'm willing to do this trade, but I would really like to get pics of all the cards on your end. If you want me to unwrap the tarm and send you pics i can do that as well. Just know that the card as it stands is absolutely mint with no imperfections, so i don't really want to take it out of it's sleeve. I am also only comfortable with a simultaneous send. I hope this all works for you. cheers

canceller: Ok. Provide me an email address and I will send you pictures front/back/side of each card you have requested

canceller:  I will do so before I confirm my address so if you don't like what you see you can just cancel

As you can see, the trade was made, he didn't confirm his address because "I will do so before I confirm my address so if you don't like what you see you can just cancel"

This kinda leaves it like, you accept a trade, you just don't swap addresses for a little bit of time and make a mad push for a better deal. This seems like a really dishonest practice.

I've also had another user use this same tactic of not confirming address, then canceling the trade because he didn't have a card in our agreement, then after that he offered me less value and said take it or leave it. Again didn't confirm address, when i did he cancelled and yet again lowered the value of the trade. I then just cancelled it and wouldn't deal with him further.

The intention of the Deckbox rules is to ensure that both parties follow through with the trade once cards have been sent. This is to ensure that each party is responsible for their cards reaching their destination. The reason why the rules are open to interpretation by the Deckbox Team is because it can be misinterpreted by traders. Below, I've provided a quote from Sebi from a past BTR: http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13399

It seems there are issues with this 'no cancelling after accepting' rule... people are taking that way too ad literam and seriously, we will at least have to rephrase it. I will address this in a future post in announcements.

Hope this helps.

It's shady if people use it as a bargaining tool, but it helps prevent issues from arising if someone accidentally clicks accept trade.  All I can say is if they accept the trade and don't immediately provide a mailing address, I would consider the deal unlikely to go through, as I can't say in nearly 50 trades on here I've ever seen someone take more than 10 minutes to input their address after the trade is finalized.

well i personally think that once you agree to the trade it should stay in your completed trades even if it's broken, then you can see who the abusers and time wasters are and you can at least know not to expect a trade with them, as i'm sure this happens quite frequently with the same users.

there should be some accountability once you hit the agree to trade button

TyWooOneTime wrote:

It's shady if people use it as a bargaining tool, but it helps prevent issues from arising if someone accidentally clicks accept trade.  All I can say is if they accept the trade and don't immediately provide a mailing address, I would consider the deal unlikely to go through, as I can't say in nearly 50 trades on here I've ever seen someone take more than 10 minutes to input their address after the trade is finalized.

I agree.  I've never had problems in my nearly 300 trades on here where someone accepted, waited a long time, then canceled before addresses were exchanged.  I have, however, accidentally clicked "Accept Trade" and had to cancel the trade and reopen before addresses were exchanged.  I do think that feature is useful since there is no confirmation box of "Are you sure you want to accept this trade?" or something. If you accidentally click, you accidentally clicked. :[

Actinide wrote:
TyWooOneTime wrote:

I agree.  I've never had problems in my nearly 300 trades on here where someone accepted, waited a long time, then canceled before addresses were exchanged.  I have, however, accidentally clicked "Accept Trade" and had to cancel the trade and reopen before addresses were exchanged.  I do think that feature is useful since there is no confirmation box of "Are you sure you want to accept this trade?" or something. If you accidentally click, you accidentally clicked. :[

well there should be a confirm button, but as you can clearly see in my instances, the other party accepts, then makes a lame excuse to back out after agreeing to the trade.