Topic: Lands Preference

Hey guys

So a buddy of mine and I were talking while at FNM last week, and we came to an interesting conversation. So the situation is you are playing a deck that is entirely colorless. There are no colored mana requirements in any costs or abilities of any card in your main or side board. The question is; What lands do you choose to play, and why?

He had suggested that you just play any random assortment of basic lands, and gave the argument that that would be a huge move in the mind game for your opponent. My stance was to play all lands that tap for colorless mana, even if their secondary ability gives you no forseeable benefit, because you at least have options that are outside of spells in your deck. For the sake of the argument, this deck is not being played in any highly competitive scene, but just something that you might take to an FNM for funzies. What lands would you use? All the same art basics? A variety? or something else? And why are you using those lands?

I had just thought that this was an interesting question, and figured that some decent conversation would come up here.

-=Profile=-
Buying cards for store inventory, check my profile!

Re: Lands Preference

It's going to depend on the format honestly, as one could easily argue that some colorless producing lands are better than others, i.e. the Urza lands (aka Tron lands).

More generally speaking, I don't know that a smattering of basics will really throw the opponent unless they're REALLY overthinking things.  They'll pick up pretty quickly that every card you've played is colorless.

That being said, I'd go R/G, just because those aren't exactly the colors you associate with artifacts and such.... but it's really just a preference thing I'd guess.

Assuming it's Legacy, you have access to the posts:
Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Vesuva, Thespian's Stage
You could also use the Sol lands
Ancient Tomb & City of Traitors

In Modern you have:
Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower

If you're playing Vintage:
Mishra's Workshop, Library of Alexandria

In EDH you can't use lands that have mana symbols outside of your general's color identity, so you'll see some creative lands there.
Of course there's always Desert, High Market, Phyrexia's Core and all sorts of utility lands. 

or in a budget situation perhaps Crystal Vein?

Just watch out for Price of Progress.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-11-06 02:08:09)

Very format dependant.  There are several modern and legacy decks that don't play (or very few) colored cards.  Affinity for instance.  It plays the artifact lands and the Inkmoth/Blinkmoth Nexus.  It only plays 1 basic to combat Path of Exile.