Topic: How do you get a price value of a deck?

I have a deck list, such as the commander 2013 deck, and I'm trying to find out the total value for it.

1 Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Barren Moor
1 Command Tower
1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Esper Panorama
1 Evolving Wilds
6 Island
1 Jwar Isle Refuge
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Opal Palace
1 Orzhov Basilica
1 Orzhov Guildgate
9 Plains
1 Rupture Spire
1 Springjack Pasture
9 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Transguild Promenade
1 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Augury Adept
1 Azorius Herald
1 Disciple of Griselbrand
1 Diviner Spirit
1 Divinity of Pride
1 Filigree Angel
1 Hooded Horror
1 Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon"
1 Marrow Bats
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Phyrexian Delver
1 Phyrexian Gargantua
1 Raven Familiar
1 Razor Hippogriff
1 Serene Master
1 Serra Avatar
1 Sharding Sphinx
1 Sharuum the Hegemon
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Stormscape Battlemage
1 Sydri, Galvanic Genius
1 Tidal Force
1 Tidehollow Strix
1 Tower Gargoyle
1 Vizkopa Guildmage
1 Wall of Reverence
1 Act of Authority
1 Brilliant Plan
1 Cradle of Vitality
1 Crawlspace
1 Curse of Inertia
1 Curse of Shallow Graves
1 Curse of the Forsaken
1 Darksteel Mutation
1 Death Grasp
1 Deep Analysis
1 Dromar's Charm
1 Famine
1 Greed
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Obelisk of Esper
1 Order of Succession
1 Phyrexian Reclamation
1 Pristine Talisman
1 Reckless Spite
1 Sanguine Bond
1 Sol Ring
1 Spinal Embrace
1 Sun Droplet
1 Survival Cache
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Tempt with Immortality
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Well of Lost Dreams
1 Lim-Dul's Vault

When I add it as a deck in deckbox.org, I don't see the option to select the cards from a particular set, such as commander 2013. The set a card is in greatly affects the value, so is there an easy way for me to make a deck list with specific cards so I can see the total price of the deck?

Re: How do you get a price value of a deck?

I personally would like to see this as a feature of deckbox, since I like to run older cards when I can. Currently though the best way if you want to know the current value is probably to turn that into an excel spreadsheet and then look up the cards manually.

gumgodMTG wrote:

I personally would like to see this as a feature of deckbox, since I like to run older cards when I can. Currently though the best way if you want to know the current value is probably to turn that into an excel spreadsheet and then look up the cards manually.

All hundred cards? Ouch. That sounds lame.

I was thinking that I could add all the cards to my inventory and then open a trade with someone and offer to trade one of each card in the deck. That way I could both select the right version of the card, and have a tally of them all. But that's a pretty ass-backwards way of doing things. And it would mess with my online collection. Surely, there has got to be a better way. If deckbox can't do this, is there another site that does it?

TrevorAgnitti wrote:
gumgodMTG wrote:

All hundred cards? Ouch. That sounds lame.

I was thinking that I could add all the cards to my inventory and then open a trade with someone and offer to trade one of each card in the deck. That way I could both select the right version of the card, and have a tally of them all. But that's a pretty ass-backwards way of doing things. And it would mess with my online collection. Surely, there has got to be a better way. If deckbox can't do this, is there another site that does it?

That's just my way of doing it with a 60 card deck.  There are only a few decks that I'm curious enough to do that with though.  Sebi mentioned in 'upcoming features' that there have been requests for adding subsets to your own inventory.  Maybe that is the solution we need?

I think the simplest solution would be to allow people to specify the exact version of the card they want in deck lists.

TrevorAgnitti wrote:

I think the simplest solution would be to allow people to specify the exact version of the card they want in deck lists.

I think that would be awesome.

The best solution I can think of that's currently available is to make a new account and use the inventory/wishlist to detail specific editions. You'd only be able to list 2 decks per account this way, (1 in inventory, 1 in wishlist) and it's a little bit of a hassle to login for just that, but it works. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to specify edition in decklists.

BetweenWalls wrote:

The best solution I can think of that's currently available is to make a new account and use the inventory/wishlist to detail specific editions. You'd only be able to list 2 decks per account this way, (1 in inventory, 1 in wishlist) and it's a little bit of a hassle to login for just that, but it works. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to specify edition in decklists.

This violates the rules:

http://deckbox.org/help/trade_rules

1.2 Do NOT create more than one account on deckbox. (If you have problems logging in, reactivating, or other similar issues, please email support@deckbox.org)

*shrug*

It's not as if that rule is enforceable. I certainly wouldn't advocate using extra account(s) for trading, however. As I understand it, the intent of rule 1.2 is to prevent scamming, as implied by the next rule:

1.3 Even in case the Deckbox staff give permission for a person to have multiple accounts, you are only allowed to use one of them for trading.

Specifying card versions within each decklist would be a more ideal method for this, but that doesn't help in the here-and-now. I was just offering a workable solution... no offense meant! smile

BetweenWalls wrote:

*shrug*

It's not as if that rule is enforceable. I certainly wouldn't advocate using extra account(s) for trading, however. As I understand it, the intent of rule 1.2 is to prevent scamming, as implied by the next rule:

1.3 Even in case the Deckbox staff give permission for a person to have multiple accounts, you are only allowed to use one of them for trading.

Specifying card versions within each decklist would be a more ideal method for this, but that doesn't help in the here-and-now. I was just offering a workable solution... no offense meant! smile

No offense taken, and I have no idea of if it is tracked or not.  But it could throw up red flags to have multiple accounts logging in from the same IP.  Getting admin permission seems like an unnecessary pain for something that is just a work around for something that could be a deck list feature.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-11-21 19:17:09)