Re: Release 3.0: Deckbox Market

gumgodMTG wrote:

Question, when you mark something as shipped, is there a place to put in a tracking number, or a chat? I'd rather have this saved with the order for easy reference if I'm selling things that are worth enough to need tracking.

Yep, when you click on Mark Sent, you have an input to paste the tracking number.

Chat is not enabled on sales yet, I'm on the fence about that. In the mean time you can always send the user an email through deckbox. The link to send email is not on the order yet, but I'll put it in.

The update seems to have compressed the address boxes in trades to a single line.  That's fine shipping to countries I'm accustomed to, but it makes international shipping harder because I don't know where the address line breaks should be.  Any chance that gets changed back?

jambarama wrote:

The update seems to have compressed the address boxes in trades to a single line.  That's fine shipping to countries I'm accustomed to, but it makes international shipping harder because I don't know where the address line breaks should be.  Any chance that gets changed back?

Should be fixed now, thanks for reporting.

Sorry if I missed it sebi, but I still can't find anywhere to clarify if non-system based, forum sales are prohibited from now on.  I love the new system, but I also like to provide the cheapest cards possible, which is harder when there is a 11% fee tacked on (deckbox+paypal).  I would like to use both systems still, but am not sure if that is allowed.  I don't want to break any rules.

Can deckbox exist without the tcgplayer api?  I would be concerned that tcgplayer might cut off your access if they view it as too much competition.

Actinide wrote:

Sorry if I missed it sebi, but I still can't find anywhere to clarify if non-system based, forum sales are prohibited from now on.  I love the new system, but I also like to provide the cheapest cards possible, which is harder when there is a 11% fee tacked on (deckbox+paypal).  I would like to use both systems still, but am not sure if that is allowed.  I don't want to break any rules.

This issue should have been addressed in the rules, and I should have already have a solid answer for it, but... smile. We discussed this a couple of times, did not reach a solid decision and somehow forgot about it. But we will discuss and I will post my thoughts on this tomorrow.

bactgudz wrote:

Can deckbox exist without the tcgplayer api?  I would be concerned that tcgplayer might cut off your access if they view it as too much competition.

We will have Deckbox Prices, much cooler than Tcgplayer prices. cool

sebi wrote:
Actinide wrote:

This issue should have been addressed in the rules, and I should have already have a solid answer for it, but... smile. We discussed this a couple of times, did not reach a solid decision and somehow forgot about it. But we will discuss and I will post my thoughts on this tomorrow.

Cool, thank you sebi for the clarification.   Let me just say, I really appreciate the work you guys put into the new system and I do look forward to using it.  Having both options would be nice though! big_smile

Interesting concept. Currently Deckbox does not always update pricing as fast as TCG and some cards (foils mainly) sometimes show no prices whatsoever.

I for one would not want to be forced to sell X card for X price when the card spikes and TCG/DB pricing has not adjusted to represent said new price.

USea is 249.49 on DB and 251.97 on TCG, this is a miniscule amount but used to illustrate a point.

Tropical Island is 119.34 on DB and TCG has it at 125.97

Bitterblossom DCI is 99.99 but DB has it for the same price as a regular BB....55 bucks or so.

Until things like this are fixed, it would appear this is a dangerous endeavor to engage in

You guys are amazing! Thanks for making a great site even better!

TechnicolorMage wrote:

Interesting concept. Currently Deckbox does not always update pricing as fast as TCG and some cards (foils mainly) sometimes show no prices whatsoever.

I for one would not want to be forced to sell X card for X price when the card spikes and TCG/DB pricing has not adjusted to represent said new price.

USea is 249.49 on DB and 251.97 on TCG, this is a miniscule amount but used to illustrate a point.

Tropical Island is 119.34 on DB and TCG has it at 125.97

Bitterblossom DCI is 99.99 but DB has it for the same price as a regular BB....55 bucks or so.

Until things like this are fixed, it would appear this is a dangerous endeavor to engage in

You set the prices for your cards. The prices that tcg shows (min, mid, max) have nothing to do with the price at which your cards get set. You can use the prices on tcg as a guideline and I highly recommend you do so. Also, your point about promo BB having the wrong price is being addressed by Sebi and the DB team. The addition of pricing for promo and other non-set cards is on their to-do list.

To the point of the topic: Thank you so much to Sebi and everyone else that went into the production of this great release! Now I just have to manage my selling inventory on tcg as well as here. tongue

First off, thanks so much for this site. Without it I would never have started trading and would just have a bunch of little pieces of cardboard filling up shelves and not realizing their true potential. wink I'm sure this new update and the Selling options will be a good thing for the site and help it grow.

On a user page you have User Info/Bio, Seller Profile, Trading Opportunities. On a page for a specific card, however, you have Card Image/Info, USERS SELLING, Inventory/Tradelist, In Your Decks, Wishlist, Trading Opportunities. Personally, I would rather not have to see/scroll past a list of people selling the card. Now I would never request that it be removed or be able to be turned off because that's where you're trying to go with this site by adding the Buying/Selling and if you can make this place profitable then it can only lead to improvements for us users. My suggestion, however, would be to move the Selling information farther down the page order: Card Image/Info, Inventory/Tradelist, In Your Decks, Wishlist, USERS SELLING, Trading Opportunities. This way users wouldn't have to scroll past a list of people selling the card just to get to the fields used to update their inventories.

"Please note that we also collect deckbox market fees on canceled orderes that have been paid. (Fees are collected on every succesful payment)."

Why does Deckbox do this? Is this a measure to penalize dishonest sellers? Why would anyone accept returns given this rule?

I hate to be "that guy", but why not allow for BTC payments as an alternative to Paypal?

In general, I worry about the changes here not giving users the sort of wiggle-room in terms of communication and negotiation that Deckbox trading normally allows. Namely, I'd like to sell cards but I worry that it could create problems if my inventory is out of date or there's a pricing error or some other sort of hangup that is resolvable through the normal trade process. It'd be nice if I had the option of having to approve orders or something, just as a precaution. If these kinds of features aren't implemented I think there's going to be an extremely rocky period where buyers will be placing unreasonable service expectations on sellers because they figure that once they place the order everything should work perfectly. I think sellers need some sorts of options to review orders before having to fulfill them.

grossoggodeckbox wrote:

"Please note that we also collect deckbox market fees on canceled orderes that have been paid. (Fees are collected on every succesful payment)."

Why does Deckbox do this? Is this a measure to penalize dishonest sellers? Why would anyone accept returns given this rule?

We are not 100% set on this rule (i.e. we're willing to listen to feedback), but we wanted to have a strong stand at the beginning.

The general reason for that is that we want to discourage useless returns in general.

Returns are hard to deal with, they are always expensive for someone (buyer, seller or marketplace), they make everything take a lot more time to solve and to clarify (when cards go back, are they sent with tracking or not, if they are lost on the way back who is responsible, etc etc), and they make the system look brittle for sellers. By that I mean if sellers were encouraged to accept easy returns then all sales would be "maybe a sale, but maybe he changes his mind and I have to give him the money back".

9700377 wrote:

I hate to be "that guy", but why not allow for BTC payments as an alternative to Paypal?

We might in the future. We just started with the most popular option and the easiest to integrate in the trading process for all sides (us, sellers, etc)

In general, I worry about the changes here not giving users the sort of wiggle-room in terms of communication and negotiation that Deckbox trading normally allows. Namely, I'd like to sell cards but I worry that it could create problems if my inventory is out of date or there's a pricing error or some other sort of hangup that is resolvable through the normal trade process. It'd be nice if I had the option of having to approve orders or something, just as a precaution. If these kinds of features aren't implemented I think there's going to be an extremely rocky period where buyers will be placing unreasonable service expectations on sellers because they figure that once they place the order everything should work perfectly. I think sellers need some sorts of options to review orders before having to fulfill them.

I definitely understand this concern. But (as with my previous post on returns), it would make everything less solid. We want a system where sellers can trust that once the money is received, it is theirs. Also we want the buyers to trust that once they paid for something, they will get it on their doorstep in a few days.

In short, we want a smooth and efficient system. This sadly has the downside that it requires everyone to tolerate less wiggle room. It requires sellers to accept they have to be quick with price changes and shipping cards , and buyers to accept that they can't just change their mind about buying something out of the blue.

That said, we want to provide tools that help with this. As I mentioned in a comment earlier, we are thinking of an Analysis view for a sellers tradelist, where he could quickly see which of his prices are way below market value or way above market value. Still designing this, but it will come.

Last edited by sebi (2014-03-25 11:26:31)

it shows me a list of sellers and says they're in my country (Netherlands) but every single one of them is in the US.

I've noticed now that when I confirm my address for a trade that my state and zip code are reversed.  State should come before zipcode, but it shows after it.  I don't think this is an issue for most people that live in the US to figure out, but it's a bit awkward looking.

sebi wrote:
grossoggodeckbox wrote:

We are not 100% set on this rule (i.e. we're willing to listen to feedback), but we wanted to have a strong stand at the beginning.

The general reason for that is that we want to discourage useless returns in general.

Returns are hard to deal with, they are always expensive for someone (buyer, seller or marketplace), they make everything take a lot more time to solve and to clarify (when cards go back, are they sent with tracking or not, if they are lost on the way back who is responsible, etc etc), and they make the system look brittle for sellers. By that I mean if sellers were encouraged to accept easy returns then all sales would be "maybe a sale, but maybe he changes his mind and I have to give him the money back".

Thanks for your reply, but I have to say this rule will discourage people from selling expensive cards here. A very simple solution to the returns problem is to make the buyer responsible for them. Buyer must pay shipping and provide proof of delivery, refund will only be given when cards are returned,  no fees taken. Making buyers responsible for returns will discourage frivolous returns.These rules would also be in line with every other mtg site, trading, vending, etc out there.

One more question: what will the deckbox marketplace do that no other site does? How will it be better for sellers than Motl, mtgsalvation, facebook, eBay, tcgplayer? I'm still paying 10% fees, is there any incentive to selling here other than saving 3%?

Last edited by grossoggodeckbox (2014-03-25 13:12:56)

grossoggodeckbox wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I have to say this rule will discourage people from selling expensive cards here. A very simple solution to the returns problem is to make the buyer responsible for them. Buyer must pay shipping and provide proof of delivery, refund will only be given when cards are returned,  no fees taken. Making buyers responsible for returns will discourage frivolous returns.These rules would also be in line with every other mtg site, trading, vending, etc out there.

One more question: what will the deckbox marketplace do that no other site does? How will it be better for sellers than Motl, mtgsalvation, facebook, eBay, tcgplayer? I'm still paying 10% fees, is there any incentive to selling here other than saving 3%?

To be fair, your last question will be one that only time and actual involvement will tell. Sure, if you compare this selling feature to  those other sites that are already established in that front, its going to be hard to argue to pick the new when you have the old.

Also all those sites you listed (aside from TCG) do not have the interface that deckbox does nor the complete functionality of being able to manage your entire collection, build decks, trade and now sell all in one place. I understand your question was in regards to selling but my point is for some this will complete the package of having everything and doing everything on one site opposed to many.

Last edited by Helios52 (2014-03-25 14:39:23)

Helios52 wrote:
grossoggodeckbox wrote:

Also all those sites you listed (aside from TCG) do not have the interface that deckbox does nor the complete functionality of being to manage your entire collection, build decks, trade and now sell all in one place. I understand your question was in regards to selling but my point is for some this will complete the package of having everything and doing everything on site opposed to many.

As Helios said. It is the ability to have your entire inventory tracked in one location. I used to track it on paper (only for the most important cards), then it went to spreadsheets. Deckbox is much more convenient as an inventory management system. It just makes sense to sell from the place that already has all your cards listed.

It also gives people a chance to see what you have that isn't on your sell list. I can't even guess at how many times I've looked around my small town for a card and not found it on a tradelist, but found it in an inventory. Sometimes what you aren't willing to sell/trade today, you can be convinced to sell or trade tomorrow (maybe for a higher price than you anticipated). On any other site I know of, if you don't list it, I won't know you have it.

Speaking of, hey Sebi. Is there a way to block contact from other users? For instance, if somebody is bugging me, or I have a sale go bad with someone, can I block them and ensure they can't buy from me again (or contact me in any way)? I'm not talking about blocking feedback, just blocking contact not related to previous sales/trades.

Xan wrote:

Speaking of, hey Sebi. Is there a way to block contact from other users? For instance, if somebody is bugging me, or I have a sale go bad with someone, can I block them and ensure they can't buy from me again (or contact me in any way)? I'm not talking about blocking feedback, just blocking contact not related to previous sales/trades.

Nope, not yet. But I've added it on the list. smile

We have started to compile a list of frequently asked questions, you can see it here: http://deckbox.org/help/market_faq.

Keep em' coming smile

sebi wrote:
Xan wrote:

Nope, not yet. But I've added it on the list. smile

In addition, as part of the "controls" others have mentioned that they hope sellers will have, it would be nice to auto-block anyone with a bad reputation. This is particularly valuable as sellers do not get the option to approve of a sale. Make it a setting sellers can change-- how bad is "bad," or disable the auto-block entirely, or make an exception for this one dude, etc.

Man. That sounds like a lot of coding for just one little thing. The initial ability to block probably wouldn't be so bad, but having white lists and auto-blocking filters could be more time consuming to code and test. Glad you're doing it and not me. tongue

I haven't looked, but are there options for different shipping rates? Two-day vs standard, or a bulk discount?

Last edited by Xan (2014-03-25 14:52:57)

When viewing a user profile there previously was the ability to switch from comparing our wishlist and inventory.  It looks like since the upgrade the ability to compare inventories is gone (now all I see is the strict matching option.)  Will this feature come back?  I found it really helpful to identify cards that I may be willing to trade for a specific item, but don't actually have it added to my wishlist.

Also, when viewing a card's page, such as http://deckbox.org/mtg/Blood%20Scrivener , I don't see the link and table to the card's tcgplayer page -  was this an intentional change or an anomaly?

Love the new feature, thanks for all your hard work!!

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist