Topic: [Standard] [Red/Black Aggro] What do you think?

http://deckbox.org/sets/292646

I bought a couple of the Rakdos Raid event decks and really liked some of the things that came in there.  I knew that Rakdos, Lord of Riots and Cryptborn Horrorcould be fun.

However, I am also thinking that I could drop all three Cryptborn Horror in favor of another Thundermaw Hellkite ( I have 3 total) and then my one and only Balefire Dragon.  Thus potentially taking advantage of Rakdos, Lord of Riots in a very powerful way.

Another route could be to drop the three Cryptborn Horror in favor of another Thundermaw Hellkite and two Thunderous Wrath.

Essentially I am asking for a way to improve upon the idea I have here.

Edit/Update: Holy shit batman! Yeah I was getting ready to go to bed and made a few mistakes on this post, should have slept on it and then posted it tonight.

Last edited by albonation (2013-01-22 00:14:21)

Re: [Standard] [Red/Black Aggro] What do you think?

First off, don't forget to link to the deck you're referencing.  For any interested parties, I believe this is it:  http://deckbox.org/sets/292646.

That aside, I've been trying to figure out how to make Rakdos aggro work in the current meta and have quite a few thoughts, so please excuse my long-windedness, as hopefully some of this will help.

1) Drop the Cryptborn Horrors.  I know you had been thinking this already, but they're really just not likely to come in as anything sizable, and even then, they're vulnerable to even simple stuff like Unsummon which can reduce them to a much smaller size.

2) This is a matter of personal preference, but I normally don't see much sense in having more than 2x of any legendary creature in a deck unless you expect (or benefit from) them leaving the field.  Think about it, having 2x Rakdos in your hand would likely result in you just sitting on a dead card.  Sure, the first one could be killed and then you have a backup, but for the rest of the time, that's just a dead card.  Further, you really don't want to clog up the four-drop spot, which, conveniently can fit things like Desecration Demon or Olivia Voldaren without straying beyond your colors.  The Demon would also help ensure you hit morbid triggers quite a bit.

3) If you have a third Thundermaw, definitely put it in.

4) Burn is good, but I'd put the Pillar of Flames in the sideboard and possibly even 1-2 Searing Spears.  The most useful of the burn spells are the Brimstone Volleys because of their added damage from morbid triggers.  But perhaps more importantly, use the black spells that are more hard forms of removal, i.e., Murder, Tribute to Hunger, Ultimate Price, etc.

5) I'd make sure you have a guaranteed source of damage to your opponent so you don't end up missing playing Rakdos because they have a solid defense - a few options here, Tormented Soul or just Rogue's Passage.  Neither would disrupt you a ton as a 2x of, but potentially guaranteeing you can play Rakdos is important.

6) Slaughter Games and Rolling Temblor are HUGE pieces to fit into your sideboard.  Both offer ways to deal with threats that, on average, a B/R aggro build would struggle with.  More pointedly I'm referring to Geist of Saint Traft and Invisible Stalker for the Temblors and Sphinx's Revelation and Sigarda, Host of Herons for the Games.  Those four cards are essentially immune to what you're doing and, in many cases, will totally wreck your plans so having these options in the SB can go a long way.

7) If you're going to run Mark of Mutiny in the SB, you should probably toss in a sack engine in the SB as well.  It's no good to take their Tusk only to give it back even stronger.  If you can take it, then sack it, you get the damage AND get rid of the creature.

8) You need some sort of a draw engine to help once you get to top-deck mode.  Sign in Blood is a great option.  Alternately, with Rakdos helping out, Griselbrand becomes much more affordable to cast and offers an option to draw cards.

9) Flying defense is HUGE as Restoration Angel is a hair out of range for pretty much every burn spell out there.  Vampire Nighthawks are great for this as they offer both flying defense and lifelink, which conveniently can erase the cost of Sign in Blood or even help outpace your opponent.

10) I'd consider looking at creatures with higher colorless mana costs to really capitalize off Rakdos' ability.  I know the card's designer actually stated he was put together with EDH artifacts in mind, but there are some options available in standard.  Balefire Dragon is definitely a good option and one I doubt most would be expecting - although one that would likely need Lightning Maulers to make effective.

11) I don't have a good answer for you on this one, but you need to think about how you will alter your play style or cards you might want to add to deal with Supreme Verdict, as it's never any good to be laying into the opponent aggro style only to have a wipe happen and be left with an empty board and an empty hand.

12) This is the last one, I swear.  If you're going this route, you should definitely pre-order 4x Skullcracks from Gatecrash as the current issue for aggro builds is to get enough damage in before their tusks and revelations start hitting the field.

*Phew* that was a lot to go through... take or leave what you like and best luck with it.

Hey TyWoo, definitely some awesome feedback.  I am beginning to look forward to your posts.  So Rakdos, Lord of Riots really isn't  being played much?  I sort of gathered that because he is not priced very highly at all.  Then I say it is time to put our heads together and try to work out a decent standard deck around this guy.

That being said today we now know everything to come in the Gatecrash expansion, and there are some amazing cards on the way.  So all of this is pretty much just smoke in the wind, but here goes anyway.

When it comes to guaranteed damage I think the Tormented Soul is a great idea, and another one I had was Stab Wound, but there just doesn't seem to be room for this.  It could help trigger morbid abilities by decreasing the toughness of my enemies creatures.

Ok I think the Mark of Mutiny is out for 2 copies each of Slaughter Games and Rolling Temblor.  I may even take out Flames of the Firebrand all together and add 2 more copies each of Games and Temblor.

I really like Griselbrand. That is a serious dude to be able to get out onto the field for 4 mana.  Sadly I had to opt for Harvester of Souls because Griselbrand is $10+ per card and out of stock at card kingdom.

Ok this is quite a lot to read already, but I would like to explain what I am doing.  The idea behind this deck is Rakdos, Lord of Riots.  Rakdos embodies the spirit of the best defense is a great offense.  He is an amazing creature to summon in Magic. 4 mana for a flying/trample 6/6 is crazy.  At present the 8 one drop creatures can easily deal me some damage to ensure a turn 4 Rakdos.

The 6 two drops are solid as well.  The Ash Zealot coming in with first strike and haste at a 2/2 is a great turn two play, as well as making flash back a hard decision.  So with that card I have a few different ways to ensure damage to be dealt for a Rakdos cast.  The other two drop, Lightning Mauler, is actually in this deck to make things happen after Rakdos has been cast.  The idea is to be able to cast a Balefire for two mana and swing immediately, or a Harvester for 2 and kill a creature on the spot triggering morbid and hopefully taking out another with tragic slip.

The Pyreheart Wolf is resilient to board wipes with its undying mechanic, but also serves as a way to limit my opponents choices when it comes to blocking.  If I can keep their creature count low then I can essentially walk right in ensuring a Rakdos cast, or better yet a bigger creature.

Now the fun part, the heavy hitters.  The Thundermaw is really the highlight because it could potentially be hard casted in this deck and will most definitely fly right in for 5 on a good day.  The Harvester is slightly out of reach in this deck because by the time I have 6 mana and rushing offense so hastily things are going to either be looking great or grim.  But! If things go well and Rakdos lets him in on the cheap and the Lightning Mauler gets him swining quickly I can hopefully do some damage.  Then we have the Balefire whom would greatly benefit from the Mauler!

Now for spells.  I took your advice on the card draw and threw in some Sign in Blood.  I like this card for a couple of reasons. One it could help me speed through my deck, two it could deal some much needed damage to my opponent.  Tragic slip can ensure their creatures do not survive the turn if they block and kill one of mine, nuff said.  Brimstone Volley, is well, Brimstone Volley.  Now Tribute to Hunger is a little on the fence here.  It can bypass a lot of shenanigans out there like hexproof and indesctructible and net me some life at the same time!

Well just something I was thinking about.  I would like for a Rakdos deck to get some love, and I think there may be better options out there within Gatecrash.

A few quick points:

albonation wrote:

When it comes to guaranteed damage I think the Tormented Soul is a great idea, and another one I had was Stab Wound, but there just doesn't seem to be room for this.  It could help trigger morbid abilities by decreasing the toughness of my enemies creatures.

I had thought this too for a little while, but Stab Wound does the damage during their turn, not yours - so that's a no go for getting Rakdos out.

albonation wrote:

I would like for a Rakdos deck to get some love, and I think there may be better options out there within Gatecrash.

This depends.  Do you mean a Rakdos deck as in R/B aggro? Or do you mean Rakdos, Lord of Riots himself?  The former is already a pretty established deck that's making noise on the pro-tour - although you would need to drop a LOT more cash to pick up the 4x Falkenrath Aristocrats and whatnot to pull that build off (and I don't like using other peoples' builds anyway). 

The demon himself, well, the real issue is that any deck build around him would need to ensure he hits the field first and stays put long enough to make your stuff cheaper.  My first thought would be to take the deck to B/R/G (aka Jund) to then bring in some other options.  That offers the opportunity for more mana-fixing via Farseek and Ranger's Path some tutor effects to ensure Rakdos makes it into play via Jarad's Orders and some BIG creatures with high colorless mana costs via Giant Adaphage, Thragtusk, Worldspine Wurm and even Borborgymos Enraged.  Lastly, the green would help ensure that you can survive board wipes as Golgari Charm could slide into the sideboard - the catch is, the deck we're discussing now is by no means aggro, rather, some sort of a Jund mid-range.  It's worth a go though...

Well too bad about the stab wounds. Crippling Blight may pair well with Pyreheart Wolf, if I am correct in thinking pyreheart forces your opponent to block each attacking creature with two or more, or not at all.

Yeah I mean Rakdos, Lord of Riots. I just want to drop this 6/6 flyer on turn 4!

I am going to fiddle with this deck until I save up for a couple gatecrash booster boxes and build a red/white battalion with Aurelia, the War leader making an appearance.

Last edited by albonation (2013-01-22 03:45:45)