Topic: how much are japanese scalding tarns worth

I recently acquired a playset and can't find the value anywhere.. can someone give me an idea

Re: how much are japanese scalding tarns worth

from what i know (and take this with a grain of salt because im no expert) they are valued about the same as normal due to japan printing just as much mtg cards as america

There's usually a slight premium on the japanese version for people trading in the states. That's true of all foreign language cards.

elpablo wrote:

There's usually a slight premium on the japanese version for people trading in the states. That's true of all foreign language cards.

That word "Premium" has always rubbed me the wrong way.   why is t common ractice to jack up he price of your card based on the language if the card is no more rare than the original? (at least it would be if you knew where to get it)  I have found that any trader (here or anywhere else) will find any excuse to jack up the price of any card that is "worth playing" i.e. premiums from language and cross format trading.

It's not a matter of "jacking stuff" up it's a matter of supply / demand.  Some people like the foreign ones and there just aren't many here.  I have seen people clamor over foreign cards, and even trading battles to get a foil Korean rare.  It's also about knowing your area, if there are a lot of eastern Europe immigrants in your area, there might be a premium on German or Russian cards.  I don't buy into the hype, I avoid trading for them but to each their own. *shrug*

I'm not sure what you mean by cross format trading?  If you mean cards that are standard legal or modern etc.. then if they don't play standard or they're trading cards that are played in eternal formats then there is an intrinsic value to those.  They will hold value over a card like say Thragtusk.  I traded for it at 14 it's now 4 after rotation.  That's part of the game.  Someone might value a Thoughtseize a little higher right now than the retail price because they know it will hold its value over time.  Thoughtseize is played in modern and legacy, it'll never go out of style.

The market is in flux right now too, since rotation just happened, card prices will stabilize in a month or so.

Also, you really can't be mad at people for valuing something they own.  (have you seen pawn stars? tongue)  You can try to negotiate with them but in the end if they value something higher than you do, what can you do? All you can do is thank them for their time and move on.

As far as the value of languages on cards it is entirely up to the consumer to dictate the value of the cards. And not all foreign cards automatically derive more value then others. Like in the case with Legends cards that are in Italian, they are actually worth less then their English counterparts.

Japanese cards tend to fetch more in trade just based off the flair value, cash value not so much since it is the same card. But once again it comes down to how the cards were printed and which "meta" is more prevalent.

As far as cross format trading goes. If you put no value into cross format trading I will gladly trade with you. The reason why standard cards tend to get devalued as much as Legacy and Modern is that those cards in Standard have a lifespan of usefullness what is good in Standard will die out, and its hard to find cards that will remain useful for the long haul, which is why Legacy and Modern retain such high costs, the cards stop being just a card, and become more like an investment, which is strange to think of since its just a game.

Jesse_Custer wrote:

its hard to find cards that will remain useful for the long haul, which is why Legacy and Modern retain such high costs, the cards stop being just a card, and become more like an investment, which is strange to think of since its just a game.

To this point, people probably said the same thing about sports memorabilia or Star Wars actions figures.  As long as people play magic and "value" the cards there will be investment potential and you really have to consider that aspect.  If you came across a signed Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth would you throw it away?  I don't play sports, don't follow it, don't really care, but I know someone does.

Relevant
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mickey-mantle-signed-card

elpablo wrote:
Jesse_Custer wrote:

its hard to find cards that will remain useful for the long haul, which is why Legacy and Modern retain such high costs, the cards stop being just a card, and become more like an investment, which is strange to think of since its just a game.

To this point, people probably said the same thing about sports memorabilia or Star Wars actions figures.  As long as people play magic and "value" the cards there will be investment potential and you really have to consider that aspect.  If you came across a signed Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth would you throw it away?  I don't play sports, don't follow it, don't really care, but I know someone does.

Relevant
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mickey-mantle-signed-card

Alright i can see your point in that.  I guess it was the attitude of those people who ask the premium even on cards that DO see Eternal play I.E. wanting to get more money when trading lets say a fetchland for deathrite shaman.  both see lots of play (of course the land sees more) but yet ask for more value then what its "Worth" in the trade simply because it's a fetch land. i guess i wont ever get that.

Well, DRS is an eternal card... sounds like in your case they were just trying to haggle aggressively over the value of the cards.  DRS doesn't see much standard play it's price is souly based on Modern/legacy.

Yeah, aggressive traders are just assholes with too much stock in themselves. I personally don't deal with people who are like that though in the case of some shops on here I am willing to negotiate for something I really need. I've been asked to trade with so many assholes on here I had to take a break just based off of how manipulative they would try to be.

Your best bet with aggressive traders is to cancel them and move on. Just look at the BTR's and the chat logs a lot of people trade very aggressively and then complain afterwards it'd be so much simpler just to cancel and move on.