Re: Site-wide card pricing changes

We should just let the community price the cards, IMO.

Otherwise, remove the seller options and go back to TCG Player integrated pricing if they will allow for such things.

kebertxela86 wrote:

Otherwise, remove the seller options and go back to TCG Player integrated pricing if they will allow for such things.

They won't. That's part of the problem.

Last edited by Kammikaze (2014-04-04 19:10:32)

Kammikaze wrote:
kebertxela86 wrote:

Just to be very clear. TCGplayer (My Company) did not say that we would be unwilling to work with Deckbox again. I even wished Sebi good luck in his endeavor. I was never asked the question: "if the Marketplace was removed, would you allow us direct access to the API?"

I am always open to discussion as Decbox was a tremendous partner with TCGplayer for many years. The launch of the Marketplace was a surprise to me just as it was to many of you.

Chedy Hampson
President, TCGplayer.com

Last edited by TCGplayerCom (2014-04-04 20:01:51)

TCGplayerCom wrote:
Kammikaze wrote:
kebertxela86 wrote:

Just to be very clear. TCGplayer (My Company) did not say that we wouldn't work with Deckbox again. I even wished Sebi good luck in his endeavor. I was never asked the question: "if the Marketplace was removed, would you allow us direct access to the API?"

I am always open to discussion as Decbox was a tremendous partner with TCGplayer with many year. The launch of the Marketplace was a surprise to me just as it was to many of you.

Chedy Hampson
President, TCGplayer.com

That is very good to know. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It appears we were misled by one (or more) of the other people that posted in this thread.

TCGplayerCom wrote:
Kammikaze wrote:
kebertxela86 wrote:

Just to be very clear. TCGplayer (My Company) did not say that we would be unwilling to work with Deckbox again. I even wished Sebi good luck in his endeavor. I was never asked the question: "if the Marketplace was removed, would you allow us direct access to the API?"

I am always open to discussion as Decbox was a tremendous partner with TCGplayer for many years. The launch of the Marketplace was a surprise to me just as it was to many of you.

Chedy Hampson
President, TCGplayer.com

Please, please work with us here (I'm not in any way affiliated with the leadership of this board, just a happy user). I trade like crazy on here, and I buy cards through TCG. That was a great situation for me for a couple years. Wish we could go back to that!

Thanks for speaking up in this thread.

Sorry for not saying anything new here, but I want to publicly voice my support for the Deckbox team. 

True, this could be a very difficult transition.  It is possible that Deckbox won't survive this (I certainly hope it does).  But consider what we have been told: Deckbox was not going to survive the status quo, either.  This is true of all businesses; you must change or die.  And Deckbox is a business now.  It took far too much work to continue being a hobby, or an avocation.  While I have hoped for a different business model, I recognize that the Deckbox team is in possession of more information than I.  More importantly, it is their choice to make. 

Clearly, the makers and owners of Deckbox aspire to something greater.  Not content with merely being the premiere trading and inventorying site, they want to be a marketplace with enough activity to establish valid price information.  That is, a very large marketplace.  They are taking a risk, but sometimes the greatest things come from the greatest risks.

To the Deckbox team: I applaud your courage and thank you for everything you have given us thus far.  I wish you the best of luck.  May you be successful in your endeavor!

To everyone else: if you love Deckbox, consider making it your first choice the next time you want to buy or sell a card.  You will not find another site whose leadership will be more responsive to your concerns and wishes.  The faster Deckbox can accumulate meaningful price data, the faster it will become the ultimate one-stop shop for your trading card needs.

Thank you,
-Tom

just my two cents..
i assumed that since the marketplace was launched therefore taking business from tcg they would drop not sure if this is the situation but it fits smile

anywho i was introduced to deckbox and loved it i love trading and this site is amazing at both trading and selling
as far as pricing it'd be a long process but with members helping pricing if those that are trusted to do so and work is double checked it would greatly increase the process
otherwise we have 1-4 ppl not sure how many admins are here but theyd be doing card after card set after set after awhile im sure it get mindnumbing ask tcg tongue
but if we have 50 people we trust to price appropriately settle on a set, give a few faster ppl aka people w/o work or outside commitments distracting them take on 2 sets or a set and a duel deck
point being deckbox admins aren't alone here im willing to help im sure more would step up and offer sometime to help if it keeps the site moving forward, once prices are set do a monthly or weekly audit to see if their are any significant changes or price fluctuations
merely a suggestion
but if deckbox doesn't get a pricing system in place soon i think we'll lose alot of people

ill check in later see what u think,
cya soon smile

TCGplayerCom wrote:

Just to be very clear. TCGplayer (My Company) did not say that we would be unwilling to work with Deckbox again.

No... your company "did not say" anything actually. Your company only made legal threats.

Let's not start a public dicussion here, I'm not fond of needless drama. I am available via email for discussion, as always.

These prices must be wrong.  I have about 55 "Revised" Island mana cards worth $275/per.  Just those cards alone are worth $15,125!!  I'd sell all those cards for even a fraction of the price.

sebi wrote:
TCGplayerCom wrote:

Just to be very clear. TCGplayer (My Company) did not say that we would be unwilling to work with Deckbox again.

No... your company "did not say" anything actually. Your company only made legal threats.

Let's not start a public dicussion here, I'm not fond of needless drama. I am available via email for discussion, as always.

Probably time to lock the thread Sebi.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by Timber (2014-04-06 01:40:49)

Well, prices are already much more stable. It is not a matter of "if" but "when" reasonably high percent of cards prices will achieve stability. It is nice that this is happening quite quickly. Prices are still not as precise as those from tcg but tcg aggregates data from multiple big stores. OTOH if people will be allowed to set prices by themselves pricing will be less prone to speculation that some stores attempts to pull.

As for the volatility of prices atm, I've played since summer of 1994, and I've never seen this much craziness in the market. I think we're in some sort of magic bubble right now.

I don't think we need a price guide. Traders/sellers can find their own means of price look-up. If you are selling a card, you better make sure that it is cheaper than what is out there. I think it forces to the seller to not mass list their cards, but instead look through each card which will actually sell.

I didn't see the response yet from Chedy until just now.

I believe he gave a reasonable response, and even though he didn't have to he read and paid attention to these forums. Perhaps we should give it another chance to work it out with him.

Thank you.

Last edited by P9CO (2014-04-06 04:36:12)

> http://deckbox.org/users/P9CO

H: Tradelist | W: Standard cards on my wishlist
- The higher number on my want list the more I want it!

This is my first post on the forums since becoming a member of this community.  I think Deckbox.org is a fantastic site- from cataloging, to offering trade options, from allowing us to browse the decks of others, to now adding a marketplace feature, this site is great.  I also do a lot of business with TCGPlayer.com, between purchases for myself and for my son.  There are many places to buy cards on the Internet, but only one site such as Deckbox.org based on everything it offers.  As such, I certainly hope that TCGPlayer.com and Deckbox.org can work out the issues and work together in a manner that is beneficial to both sites.  If not, I certainly don't mind changing where I spend my money.  As for the pricing based on amazon.com, I don't like it at all. I understand you are working on this issue. Keep up the good work. -Lon-

I created my account for the SOLE purpose of having a place that would keep track of my collection value while maybe doing a little trading on the side. Without accurate pricing, I am not sure how much use I will get from here. Also not sure why you took TCG's legal threats seriously. There is nothing they can actually do since the prices are public.

Nitelite wrote:

I created my account for the SOLE purpose of having a place that would keep track of my collection value while maybe doing a little trading on the side. Without accurate pricing, I am not sure how much use I will get from here. Also not sure why you took TCG's legal threats seriously. There is nothing they can actually do since the prices are public.

yes thy can do something. thy can start a lawsuit that takes years and cost deckbox more money than thy have, resulting in a bankrupt for deckbox for a judge has spoken.

I expect the prices to be stable soon Enoch, and even then it is still a useful inventory manager and deck-builder. ( what I mainly use it for )
Pricing was off ( manly on the higher priced cards ) with local prices any way for me.
Useful site will keep using it even without pricing.

sebi wrote:
TCGplayerCom wrote:

Let's not start a public discussion here, I'm not fond of needless drama. I am available via email for discussion, as always.

I'm hopeful you two will be able to work out a compromise; there is surely a middle ground here.

I'm not sure if this was answered yet or not, but why can't the site just use the MTGstocks.com prices instead for the time being? It tends to be pretty accurate.

This sucks..  It's showing me the Shock card being 80+$ and although I'd love to sell that card for that price, it's a complete joke..
This new setup just making me look for Deckbox alternatives, unfortunately.  I used this place for it's pricing and I loved how I was able to keep a complete inventory of my deck but now it's just..... very bad.

Mirage08 wrote:

I'm not sure if this was answered yet or not, but why can't the site just use the MTGstocks.com prices instead for the time being? It tends to be pretty accurate.

That site uses TCG prices too and I don't believe they have an API,

> http://deckbox.org/users/P9CO

H: Tradelist | W: Standard cards on my wishlist
- The higher number on my want list the more I want it!

Personally, and I may be reposting someone elses opinion (as I did not read through 8 pages of replies) but the marketplace addition was always kind of meh to me, and to make matters worse, there were some subtractions that happened around the same time that has turned me off of trading here.

If we can do away with the marketplace side of things to get our TCGPlayer pricing back for trading, then I would be so happy. Personally, I don't look to buy anything here as opposed to TCGPlayer, since TCGPlayer has competitive prices and multiple sellers competing for my buisness, and noone here could possibly hope to beat that really. Also, I dislike giving PayPal money for nothing.

Until these issues are resolved, I'm just not trading.

Thank you all for the feedback, closing this topic for now, as much has been said already smile

I'm preparing a release for the prices, and another 'update' annoucement. Should be coming tomorrow.