Topic: Trading opportunities issue

The trading opportunities widget on peoples' profile page was getting a bit slow in case you had a very large tradelist and wishlist, so as a temporary solution I have changed the "Worldwide" trading opportunities to "In your country". I have to think about how to make it faster before adding it back.

But while thinking about how to optimize that report I realized I'm not really sure that we do want it in its current form. So here I am asking you guys about it.  smile

I'm mostly interested in opinions from people who have traded on deckbox. Do you use the "Trading Opportunities" widget on your profile, and then look at other people's profiles to see more details? Or are you starting from a specific card you need, and look on that card's page for people who have it? Is there any information that would help you to easier find people to trade with?

If you guys have used other online trading tools (even forums count), are there things that you thought can be solved in an automated fashion to help you find what you need?

Any ideas are welcome.

Re: Trading opportunities issue

sebi wrote:

The trading opportunities widget on peoples' profile page was getting a bit slow in case you had a very large tradelist and wishlist, so as a temporary solution I have changed the "Worldwide" trading opportunities to "In your country". I have to think about how to make it faster before adding it back.

But while thinking about how to optimize that report I realized I'm not really sure that we do want it in its current form. So here I am asking you guys about it.  smile

I'm mostly interested in opinions from people who have traded on deckbox. Do you use the "Trading Opportunities" widget on your profile, and then look at other people's profiles to see more details? Or are you starting from a specific card you need, and look on that card's page for people who have it? Is there any information that would help you to easier find people to trade with?

I have done both, but usually I am either looking for a specific card or looking to get rid of a specific card that I know has some value. The list of users on my profile page was of limited use. It should automatically filter out all users where one side of the can get/can give table contains no cards at all.

Even when there is some overlap, it should automatically filter out users whose trade location settings don't overlap nicely with my own, e.g. all folks who are not in my area but who are set to only be interested in local trades.

Another item that would be incredibly useful is when viewing the page that lists the overlap in tradelist/wishlist to show the card prices in addition to name and quantity. It is a lot of work to open new tabs for every single card one is thinking of including in a trade. The lists should be sorted by price too, instead of the unknown sorting order that is currently used.

The trade chat panel should also send email notifications. It's too easy to not notice a new post there right now.

I've used it to great effect, and since I prefer not to do smaller trades via mail, I look for people with whom I can trade lots of cards back and forth at once. I prefer the original list of people who have things I'm looking for or vice versa, but my first instinct to reduce the load times is to exclude entries where the trade is one sided. If I have cards that someone wants and they have nothing I want, I don't think that should be on the list, and same goes for people who have cards I want but don't want anything I have.

I'd love to see a different interface on the trade window that includes the cards we had in common, too. As it is now, I have to have the person's profile in one page and the trade in another, and then swap back and forth to figure out what to add from each of us. I don't know the official name for it, but there's a form input that involves two columns and buttons that let you move items back and forth between the columns to represent which items are selected, and that might work better. Maybe even a set of checkboxes on our mutual lists with an updating total? That would make it a lot faster to figure out the fairest deal quickly.

I've been using it too (the trading opportunities), and it is of great help. I'm not sure about filtering out the one-sided trades, as it often happened that I asked the person if he needs anything from my inventory or tradelist, and he did. Maybe if you cuold make it so that the default behavior is filtered (no one-sided trades), and as an option the user can tick a chekbox or something to load one-sided trades too.

Oh, and a +1 to LootPinata's suggestion (the second one). If I click trade, then two lists would show next to each other, and I simply would check the cards until a fair deal is reached, then click propose trade, and the cards checked will be included in the trade.

Last edited by fistyke (2011-09-30 06:46:27)

http://pwp.wizards.com/8213665292/Scorecards/Landscape.png

is it possible to add, european-wide and other continental areas.

i'm tried using it for the first time a few days ago, and liked it, though i must agree with the others that its annoying to look at all the people where only one of us gets a something.

isn't it possible to make it a search function separate from our front profile page, like a link in the sidebar, so it isn't activated every time someone goes to their front page? that should take some of the pressure of the servers, and still make it possible to ad the extra functions people are talking about without making it all look cluttered.

as for restricting it to a single country, cant we make a search function for specific countries? i only have 3 people to trade with here in Denmark on this site, and none of them has anything from my tradelist.

I found the opportunities widget very handy, I admit there were improvements to be made, like showing how many cards they needed from you as well.  I understand the reasoning that it was quite slow for those with over large trade/wishlists, and so slowed down loading the main profile page, and so it was inconvenient.  I also understand that there is work being done on an entirely new version, but perhaps, for those of us with shorter lists, could you not put it in a page of its own, or perhaps make it disable-able.  I really miss it as a handy tool to find people to trade with.