Topic: Trading Widget on deckbox

I no longer have a widget, or box, that lists potential trading opportunities despite having cards in my wishlist, inventory, and trading section.  How do I get that box back on my front page that lists potential trading partners?

Re: Trading Widget on deckbox

Sebi is the process of a trading interface overhaul.  I'm not sure on the timetable for the update, but it shouldn't be too far off as he provided a preview of how the next interface will operate here in the forums.

That being said, it will still show up if you load another user's profile, showing you the overlap between your respective trade and wishlists.  It's a bit tedious for the time being, but it's easy enough to find a card you're after, load it's page, and start looking through the people with it in their tradelists.

Do we know why the old one was taken down in the mean time?  I can't remember seeing an explanation for that.

elpablo wrote:

Do we know why the old one was taken down in the mean time?  I can't remember seeing an explanation for that.

A widget that cross references you with all of the users in a given group, looking for matching haves and wants, might work fine in a group with 10-20 people in it. But the Reddit group has almost 3000 people in it and causes huge performance issues, especially since the widget is right on the home page.

I am not a developer or an admin, however.

To me the advantage provided by the tool was the main reason to visit the site.   I can't imagine what kind of performance issues would have been bad enough to take down one of the most popular features.

Not trying to be a jerk.  I really don't understand how slower performance impacts the way the site works.  I never saw anyone complain that it ran slowly or caused any issues.

elpablo wrote:

To me the advantage provided by the tool was the main reason to visit the site.   I can't imagine what kind of performance issues would have been bad enough to take down one of the most popular features.

Not trying to be a jerk.  I really don't understand how slower performance impacts the way the site works.  I never saw anyone complain that it ran slowly or caused any issues.

You don't understand because you aren't a developer or an admin. If you were, you may understand. Funny how that works. It isn't like they took down a useful feature because they don't want people using their site, right? There was a problem, it had to be turned off, it'll come back in some form or another later when they fix it.

elpablo wrote:

Without going too deep into the technical aspect of it, sites are often charged for server usage and bandwidth. Every feature has to be looked at through the lens of "is this feature's cost worth the benefit it will provide?". Without knowing the cost to sebi and the rest of the dev team, we can't say whether the benefit was worth it. I'd rather they devote energy to the new Trading Opportunities page than try to speed up a bit of obsolete code.

I agree, I wouldn't want them to spend time fixing the old tool, but removing it before the new one was ready doesn't sound good either. 

I don't know about the financials associated with this site.  It's a fantastic tool for the MTG community.  So I don't want to speak for them if they can't afford the bandwidth required by the old tool okay... sure. *shrug* I just don't remember reading the why of it and people keep asking where the tool went. Seems like there's a bit of popular demand for it.

Last edited by elpablo (2013-10-10 16:57:12)