Topic: Card editions and foilness

Hi,

These comments are for Magic the Gathering in particular, as that is what I use deckbox for.

I'd like to use deckbox to keep track of the cards in my cube (a collection of cards used for drafting) - in particular I want to be able to select the edition & foilness of each card. I can track the cards in decks (I have to make one deck per colour, but that's fine), but then I can't select which edition these cards are from.

Also, it'd be really useful to have a way of setting the edition for multiple cards as they are added. In fact, it would be very useful if there was a default option, such as always add cards as the most recent edition and English (or a default language). Particularly when alot of cards are only in one set, it is a waste of time to have to select which set they are from.

Thanks,

Simon

Re: Card editions and foilness

Hi,

It is possible to do what you want, please have a look at this thread: http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=309 . As for setting the default edition for cards, it has been suggested before and we'll definitely think about it wink In the beginning we just assumed that the majority of the users will just want to build decks and won't care about the actual edition of each card (the collecting part of the game), but it seems we were wrong big_smile

Simon and I were talking about this the other night... he's not quite asked what I think he actually wants lol.

You can keep track of all the cards in the inventory and see which edition each is from. But they're obviously mixed in with all the rest of your cards so you don't know which is in the cube.
The obvious answer is, "make a deck called 'cube'". Unfortunately, you can't define in a deck which set or edition you'd like the card in that deck to come from. So in order to keep track of the cube, Simon must jump back and forth between inventory and 'deck'. He still won't be able to declare which set the Giant Growth (for example) being used in his cube is from.

I believe what he would like, is either a special deck type for cubes where you can assign specific sets for each card ...or... add this capability for all decks.

/translation smile

Both Laura and I read that wrong, your are right. Re-reading it now, I think Simon expressed himself correctly, we just did not pay attention enough smile

Fixing this would take a bit of effort though sad. The thing is... this "card details" feature is complex to solve, ui-wise, and even the solution I have come up with for the tradelist is sort of a compromise (that you have to check the 'for trade' box in the details window). Extending this for decks can prove to be a bit of challenge.

But I understand the requirement, and have taken note of it. Will think.

I, too, would love to see this feature as often I use the only foil version of a card in the deck I built that best utilizes the card.  It would be nice to track which edition/foil/etc is used in each deck.

- Apparatus

Agree with the comments above that these would be super-useful features.

I've really just gotten into MTG recently.  This is the first site I've tried, since it seemed to meet most of the things I was looking for in a tracker/organizer.  I love the fact that it's a website (not a desktop app), so it's available anywhere: home, work, friend's house, even a tourney.  However, I feel like I'm sort of compromising on how I'm using the site.

I have mostly M2011 cards, along with a few hundred each of M2010, Zendikar, and RoE.  Since there isn't an easy way to indicate edition when entering cards, I've only entered the M2011 cards for now.  I could go into each of the >200 unique cards I have, select the >1000 total cards, and update the edition and "foilness" for each one.  After doing that, I could go and enter the cards from the other editions, update their editions and foilness, etc.  But that seems like a lot of work, so I've been holding out for a new feature to make this easier. 

Like I said, I absolutely love this site, and want to see it become huge.  The interface is awesome, the portability is a huge plus, little things like the auto-complete make a big difference, and the database offers everything I need.  I just hope that the little missing features get ironed out soon smile

Thanks to the devs who make this site for all of their work; I think it's awesome that you guys/gals have made something this great for free that people can use.  I really think you're on to something here.