Topic: Downtime on the 16th of February

Hello everyone,

As some of you might have noticed we had a bit of unannounced downtime today.

What happened was that yesterday at around 18:00 GMT both the hard drives in our production server have crashed. They were in RAID1, which means usually when one crashes the data on it will be entirely recovered from the other one, then the broken one is replaced, and the system's back up.  In our case, since they both crashed (what are the odds of that?!?), it was not as easy smile.

We did however manage to get all data up to the exact moment when it crashed, so nothing was lost (except a night of sleep haha).

We're considering getting a second server in the future for redundancy so that recovery in case of hardware failure will be seamless and faster for you guys (unless 4 harddrives all decide to crash at the same time, big_smile).

Our hosters, hetzner.de were top-notch during the whole thing, answered our support requests almost instantly, diagnosed the problem and replaced the faulty drives with german efficiency smile. My highest recommendations!

In cases like this, we try to keep people up to date by posting information on our facebook page(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deckbox/141206785897194). So in case the website is temporarily down in the future (for planned maintenance, or accidents like this), you can find more information there. Or, as always, drop us an email at support@deckbox.org.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Re: Downtime on the 16th of February

The downtime today made me realize how often I log onto deckbox...  Probably too often...:/. Thanks for getting it up and running again!

madoli wrote:

The downtime today made me realize how often I log onto deckbox...  Probably too often...:/. Thanks for getting it up and running again!

In the same boat.......sigh

Nice to see were back up and running tho... :thumbsup:

I think we should blame the meteorite big_smile

i blame the pope...goddammit!

madoli wrote:

I know right, me too.  I didn't know what to do with myself while and after I was watching the pro tour.  I needed check if I had copies of the cards that were doing well, but couldn't!

I don't do web hosting servers directly, but the guys down the hall in my office do. They had a similar issue with multiple drive failures on a larger array. It was the hard drive array controller firmware and/or driver that was causing the crash. might be something to double-check.