Topic: MtG: Dark Ascension, WoW: Dungeons, WH:I Karaz. Set completion view.

Database updates

A lot of new editions for all card games this January. smile

Magic the Gathering players get the second expansion in the Innistrad block: Dark Ascension. Prices will start updating shortly.

World of Warcraft gets some new cards in the Class Starter decks and the Dungeon Decks. Thanks to Crimson for bringing it to our attention.

Warhammer Invasion players get the new Karaz a Karak set, and images for The Iron Rock cards. Big thanks to Entropy, kotuo and Crux for the all the data!

Wordpress plugin update

Our Wordpress Magic the Gathering tooltips plugin has been bumped to version 3.0.1. A new deck visualization mode is available - embed view. More details can be found on the plugin readme page.

A huge thank you to Tawnos for all the help!

http://deckbox.org/system/images/forum/wordpress.png

Edition completion visualization tips

There has been some discussion on the Site Feedback forum about the need to see how many cards from a specific edition a user has (or is missing).

There is right now no nice way to set the inventory display to show this information, but perhaps until we do have that, you guys could use a workaround wink. If you go to the card database page, you will see inventory / tradelist and wishlist counts for all the cards. So if you want to see what is missing from M12 for example, you would filter it like this http://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards?f=5396, and look at all the cards that have 0 set in the inventory column.

You can even click on the column header to sort by the inventory count, this way you will see the cards you have first, followed by the ones you do not have (or viceversa if you sort descending of course).

Then a quick way to adjust your wishlist for the cards you are missing would be to click the wishlist column, and quickly set the count to 1 (or 4) and press enter.

I hope this trick will temporarily help. As always, we're grateful for any feedback you might have, and encourage you to post it in the comment thread.

Happy deckbuilding!

Last edited by sebi (2012-01-29 19:11:27)

Re: MtG: Dark Ascension, WoW: Dungeons, WH:I Karaz. Set completion view.

Cheers Sebi!

Here's another work around for sets, albeit way more complex:

1. Go to magic.tcgplayer.com and use the "Cards" dropdown menu. Click on the set you wish to import. You'll get a price list that is alphabetized.
2. Click on the link for a Printable Price Guide.
3. Highlight all of the cards in the grid. Copy and paste that into an Excel spreadsheet. I used Excel, but other programs that have decent functions will work.
4. After you get your spreadsheet populated, insert a column before column A.
5. In the first cell, put a "4". Using the drag-to-fill, pull down the entire column to the last card. This will get you a "4" for each column.
6. In the first empty column after the cards (for me this was column J), use the following formula: "=CONCATENATE(A2, " ", B2)". You don't want the quotes around the function name. Also note that the middle quotes have a space between them. This is necessary.
7. As in step 5, use the drag-to-fill all the way down column J. This will get you a list of cards that can be imported into deckbox. An example of what each column should look like: "4  Afflicted Deserter".
8. Select all of column J (or the column with your cards and the 4 in front). Paste that into a new deck in your inventory through the add cards interface.
9. Voila! You now have a deck that serves as the entire set you selected!

I did this for all of current Standard (SOM, MBS, NPH, M12, ISD and DKA as of the time of this post). As I enter and remove cards from my inventory, I can see what I need if I'm looking to complete playsets of anything from a particular set.

I haven't seen a good way to export a deck as CSV which would allow me to filter in Excel the cards that I need. Instead, I just add missing cards to my wishlist, then export that to CSV and filter in Excel. Makes it really easy when you go to a card shop to dig for commons or uncommons. Another way is to take the exported wishlist, use that CONCATENATE function in Excel, then paste that column into TCGPlayer's Mass Card Entry. Optimize the cart for few retailers to pay shipping on!

Hope this helps a few people out there.

Sorting by the column headers (inventory) when viewing a full set seems to be broken; it just takes you to the inventory. Is there a workaround for this to have the set completion workaround function as intended?

The Card Tooltips plugin looks great! Does anyone know if it would be hard making it for Squarespace pages?

dnoate wrote:

The Card Tooltips plugin looks great! Does anyone know if it would be hard making it for Squarespace pages?

Should be possible, did not yet look at Squarespace, but I just wrote it down.