Topic: Rules Summary (with all official rulings)

The rules of WHI can be a little complicated, and the FAQ doesn't address every issue that anyone has a question about, so we (Entropy and Mallumo) maintain this Rules Summary to help new (and old) players keep track of how the cards work.  Deckbox has great card mouseover abilities and we think rules are easier to learn when you can see the cards in question.
If you have a specific question, please create a thread, rather than posting in this one.

Last updated: 1/3/2013 - Updated Q/A on Rip Dere 'Eads Off!
10/21/2012 - Updated ruling on attacking legends, when attacking a legend the zone that it is attacked through is considered to be attacked.  Updated links to FAQ 1.9
10/3/2012 - Updated links for Condensed Rulebook and FAQs
8/13/2012 - Expanded Outpost of Tiranoc. Added Valley of Many Eyes. Expanded Quests Q&A. Added "Just played" and Leaving Play Q&A.
6/30/2012 - Added Legends questions.
6/9/2012 - Added Arkayne Vampire and Lore Seeker. Expanded Card Ownership/Control and Branded by Khorne.
5/10/2012 - Added Tunnel Fighter and The Unending Horde. Fixed Chillwind entry. Added Corruption, Unit damage and Quests questions. Added Deck, Hand and Discard Pile Q&As.

Entropy has created an updated, printer-friendly version of the rulebook that incorporates the base rules, all rulebook errata, and all information from the FAQ into a single document.  Individual sections can be quickly navigated to using the "Bookmarks" feature of your PDF reader:
Unofficial Printer Friendly Condensed Rulebook & FAQ v1.9.
It is a compilation of the:
Official Rulebook
Official v1.9 Printer-Friendly FAQ.
It also now (1.9) contains some additional information about timing in the battlefield phase.

General rules

Burning Zones
Q. Can I still use units abilities/draw cards/get resources if the relevant zone is burning?
A. Yes. A zone that is burning still functions normally except that it cannot be assigned damage (including indirect damage) (official FAQ).

Q. Can I attack an already burning zone?
A. Yes (official FAQ).

Q. If a zone has developments destroyed so that it would have enough damage on it to burn it, does it burn?
A. Yes (rulebook, p12).

Q. If a attack a burning zone with a unit that has the Scout keyword (i.e. Dwarf Ranger, Free Company), can I still activate the Scout ability after combat?
A. Yes. James' Ruling

Beginning of Turn
Q. Do effects that occur "at the beginning of the turn" occur before the Kingdom phase?
A. Yes.  They occur in the action window before the Kingdom phase.

Q. If I have multiple Action: that trigger "at the beginning of turn", do I put them all in the same stack, or different stacks?
A. They all must go onto the same stack after triggered forced/constants are resolved. (v1.4 Flowchart)

Q. If I have multiple Constant, Forced, and Action effects occuring at once, what resolves first?
A. All effects exist independently of their source once they are triggered.  Constant Effects are always resolved first, then Forced Effects. They do not stack, each resolves completely on its own.  Triggered Actions are resolved in the next available Action window.  See the Flowchart in the FAQ for more details.
A2. Whenever multiple effects of the same type occur at the same time (i.e. multiple Forced effects), the player whose turn it is resolves his in the order of his choice, then the next player resolves his in the order of his choice. (FAQ v1.1 - Simultaneous Effects)

Q. If a card enters play during the action window in Phase 0 (or a development is flipped over) and that card has a Forced effect that triggers at the beginning of the turn (like Bloodthirster), does the forced effect trigger.
A. No. Forced actions all trigger before player actions, so the window for triggering forced abilities that turn has already passed.

Counterstrike
Q. Can I respond to my unit taking counterstrike damage, e.g. by sacrificing a unit to Grudge Thrower?
A. No, you cannot respond to counterstrike damage with an Action because it is a triggered constant effect (rulebook).

Q. Can I cancel counterstrike damage, e.g. via toughness?
A. No, counterstrike damage is uncancellable (rulebook, p16).

Q. Can I redirect counterstrike damage, e.g. via Warrior Priests' ability?
A. Yes. Redirection of damage is not cancellation.  However, note that if the redirection happens via an action (e.g. Blessing of Valaya) then that action must be played before declaration of defenders, since you cannot respond to counterstrike damage.

Feared
Q. Can a unit with a blank text box be the target of a text-box clearing effect, like Feared?
A. Yes.

Q. If a unit is granted text by another effect, such as Tyrion, is that text also removed by Feared?
A. Yes.  Any text that is gained will be blanked by effects like Feared.

Quests
Q. Can I have 2 units questing on the same quest card?
A. No, but you may have them quest on 2 copies of the same quest (rulebook, p11).

Q. Can I add a unit already in play to a quest when I play the quest?
A. No (rulebook, p11).

Q. What happens if a unit on a quest is destroyed, moves zone or leaves play?
A. All resource counters on the quest are removed (rulebook, p11). Nate's ruling

Q. Can I use a quest action, like Extending the Wastes, when there is no unit on the quest?
A. No.  In order to use any ability on a quest, there must be a unit questing on it. (James Ruling)

Q. What happens to a unit when the quest it is questing on is removed from play?
A. The unit stays in the play.

Q. Can I use a quest action that requires the removal of tokens from the quest if there are no tokens on it, but a unit is questing?
A: Yes. You can for example remove 0 tokens from Return to Glory to put a 0-cost unit from your discard pile into play, if a unit is questing on it but there are no tokens on it.

Q. What happens to a unit when the quest it is questing on is moved to another zone?
A. The unit stays in its zone.

Corruption
Q. If my unit is corrupted, can I still use its special abilities? And does it contribute power if in the Quest zone or Kingdom zone?
A. Yes, and yes. A corrupted unit may not be chosen as an attacker or defender but is otherwise unaffected (rulebook, p17).

Q. If my unit is already attacking or defending and becomes corrupted, what happens?
A. Nothing, it was already chosen as an attacker or defender (rulebook, p17).

Q. If a unit enters play corrupted (Warpstone Excavation, Seeking New Slaves, etc), does it trigger "when a unit is corrupted" effects, like Tainted Well.
A. No. (FAQ v1.3, FAQs)

Q. Can I attach Daemonsword or Warp Lightning Cannon to a corrupted unit?
A. Yes. In these cases, the corruption is neither a cost nor a requirement, merely part of the effect.

Unit damage
Q. If a unit has 0 hit points, is it destroyed?
A. Yes, it is destroyed immediately (official FAQ & rulebook, p7 - the number of damage tokens on it is equal to its hit points ).

Q. If a unit has reduced hit points and damage on it so that the damage equals its hit points, is it destroyed?
A. Yes, it is destroyed immediately (rulebook, p7).

Q. When I am assigning indirect damage, can I assign more damage to a unit than would be needed to destroy it?
A. No (official FAQ).

Q: Can you move more damage on to a unit than it takes to destroy that unit? i.e. can Orc Shaman move 5 damage to a unit that has 1 HP?
A: You cannot move more damage to a unit than it takes to destroy that unit. So Orc Shaman could only move 1 damage to a unit with 1 HP.

Q. Can I redirect more damage to a unit than it takes to destroy that unit?
A. Yes.

Q. If I move damage onto a target with toughness, does it prevent the damage?
A. No. Moving damage is not considered dealing or assigning damage (it is considered moving), and damage moved from one unit to another does bypass toughness. Nate's ruling

Q: Do units, like Wood Elves, lose any damage and resource tokens on them when they become a development?
A: Yes. However, if the card is also a unit then unit rules take precedence and it can have damage/tokens on it for as long as it is a unit.  Whenever you see the word "becomes," then you know that the card is considered to have changed states for as long as the effect applies, but it does not physically change states. So withJudgement of Loec, the unit it is attached to stays face-up and is considered to be a development for as long as Judgement remains attached. The unit is normally no longer considered to be a unit, has no power or HP, and cannot defend.

Q. Is a unit without damage tokens on it a legal target for a healing effect like Tear of Isha?
A. Yes. However, if no damage tokens are removed, no healing takes place, and you won't be able to trigger effects like The Glittering Tower's.

Q. When a unit is the source of the damage it is dealt, its text says "takes damage". Does taking damage trigger "when a unit is dealt damage" effects?
A. Yes. Taking damage merely means the unit itself is the source of the damage it is dealt. Therefore, a unit that takes damage has been dealt damage.

Actions
Q. If I have a card with an optional action (e.g. Runesmith, Nurgle Sorceror), can I use it more than once?
A. Yes, as long as you can pay the cost, there is not a limit to the number of times you can play the action unless specified on the card.

Q. Do loyalty icons on tactics reduce the cost of tactics played in response?
A. No. The tactic is not in play and only race symbols in play count towards loyalty costs (rulebook, p11 & official FAQ).  Nate's ruling

Q. Can I respond to myself or my opponent playing units, support cards or developments with an action?
A. Yes (rulebook, p11).  However, you may not play units, support cards or developments in response to other actions.

Q. Do I choose what zone to put a unit into when I play the action, or when the unit enters play?
A. When you play the action. James' ruling

Q. If I have a card with a triggered action, like  Dwarf Ranger and multiple triggers occur at once, do I get to use the action multiple times?
A. Yes.  "Each response action can be triggered once per copy of the response action"  (FAQ v1.1 "FAQ")

Q. If I have multiple copies in play of a card with a triggered action like Mining Tunnels or Dwarf Ranger, does the action trigger multiple times each time the trigger event occurs?
A. Yes, similar to the above question.  For example, if you have 2 Dwarf Rangers in play, and 2 other dwarf units are destroyed, each Ranger will trigger twice, allowing you to deal 4 individual damage to targets of your choice. (FAQ v1.1 "FAQ")

"Just played"
Q. Since card effects that cancel another card "just played" don't say "target", can I wait with determining which card I want to cancel until the cancellation effect resolves?
A. No. For example, if there are already two tactics on the chain, and you play High Elf's Disdain, you have to choose which of the two tactics Disdain is meant to cancel, and you cannot change your mind later. (Caleb)

Leaving play
Q. When a unit is sent to the discard pile from play, do "leaves play" effects trigger before "enters discard pile" effects?
A. No. There is no timing difference between leaving play and entering the discard pile. All effects with either trigger are triggered simultaneously, and resolved in the usual order. (Caleb)

Combat
Q. If a unit in combat moves out of the attacking zone (normally the battlefield) or defending zone, what happens?
A. Unless specified on the card that it can attack or defend from other zones, the unit is removed from combat. Note that if it already had damage assigned to it and it remains in play, it will still take the damage. Nate's ruling

Q. If I defend with a unit with toughness or other damage cancellation abilities, does the attacker have to assign damage equal to the current hitpoints remaining of the unit or the total damage required to destroy it?
A. The total damage required to destroy it at the point where damage is assigned (including cancellation effects, but not other effects, such as redirection).  For example, if you defend with a unit with toughness 1 and 2 hitpoints, at least 3 damage must be assigned to that unit before further damage can be assigned to the capital.  (FAQ v1.1 "Core Set Rulebook Errata" and "Redirecting Damage") 

Q. If I play a card like Waaagh! or use an action like Grudge Thrower before combat, do I get the bonus?
A. Yes, that kind of action creates a continuous effect that waits for the appropriate time to give the bonus.   James's ruling

Limited cards
Q. If I put a Limited card into play via a card effect (e.g. Dwarf Cannon Crew), can I still play a Limited card from my hand?
A. No.  See Dwarf Cannon Crew below.

Destruction/Order Only
Q. Is Destruction/Order Only just a deck building restriction, not a control restriction?  i.e. you can take them with Seeking New Slaves, etc.
A. Deckbuilding restriction only. (Lukas)

Attachments
Q. Can I play attachments, such as Warp Lightning Cannon or hexes, onto my opponents units?
A. Yes.  This is the exception to the rule that states you may only play Support, Quest, and Unit cards into your own 3 zones. (FAQ v1.1 "Attachments")

Card Ownership/Control
Q. When a card specifies "your units", does that mean units I currently control, or units I own?
A. Units you currently control. (FFG Europe)

Q. Which cards do I control?
A. You control all cards you own, whether they are in or out of play, unless a card effect specifically changes who controls the card. However, card effects can only target cards in play, and only reference cards in play, again unless an effect specifically targets or references cards out of play. So you for example won't get loyalty from the cards in your hand even though you control them.

Detailed Combat Damage Steps
Declared attacking units power is totaled =>
Assign said damage =>
Declared defending units power is totaled =>
Assign said damage =>
Active player gets first chance to take an action =>
Next player gets opportunity to take an action =>
Continue until both players pass consecutively =>
Apply Damage step starts =>
Cancel/Redirect damage and resolve any "next X damage that would be dealt" effects =>
move all assigned damage to units and zones =>
remove all units whose HP is equal to or less than the number of damage tokens on them and place a burn counter on any zone whose HP is equal to or less than the number of damage tokens on it =>
Trigger any "has been dealt damage" effects on surviving units and any "has dealt damage" effects on attacking units (provided 1+ damage was dealt)

Detailed Non-Combat Damage Steps
Player triggers an effect, paying all costs, that would cause damage =>
opposing player has an opportunity to trigger an Action: in response =>
each player can continue to trigger actions until both players pass consecutively =>
Resolve the Action Chain in reverse order (Last card played is the first resolved)with no opportunity to trigger any additional actions =>
Damage is Assigned (assuming that the resolution has not invalidated the target or canceled the playing of the card outright) =>
Apply Damage step starts =>
Cancel/Redirect damage and resolve any "next X damage that would be dealt" effects =>
move all assigned damage to units and zones =>
remove all units whose HP is equal to or less than the number of damage tokens on them and place a burn counter on any zone whose HP is equal to or less than the number of damage tokens on it =>
Trigger any "has been dealt damage" effects on surviving units

Legends
Q. Can a Legend be attacked through a burning zone?
A. Yes. Lukas

Q. If a Legend is attacked and killed, what happens to any extra damage?
A. Nothing, it is not applied to the capital.

Q. Can indirect damage be applied to Legends?
A. Yes.

Q. How does my legend participate in combat?
A. During the battlefield phase, a legend may use its battlefield power to attack as though it were a unit located in the battlefield zone.  During the opponent's battlefield phase, he may choose to attack your legend instead of your capital. After your opponent declares which zone he is attacking, he must declare whether he is attacking that zone of the capital or a legend through this zone.  If the legend is attacked, it contributes the power it has in that zone (as damage) to the battle.  If a zone is attacked, the legend cannot participate in the attack.

Q. When I attack a legend through a zone, is that zone considered to be attacked?
A. Yes.

Q. When I attack a legend through a zone, is that zone considered to be the "defending zone"?
A. Yes.

Q. What are the exact consequences of a legend being corrupted in relation to combat?
A. A corrupted legend cannot be declared as attacker. It cannot be declared as the defender of a zone (if it has the ability to defend a zone from a card effect like Descendant of Gods). A corrupted legend can be attacked. A corrupted legend that is being attacked can be dealt combat damage, but does not contribute any combat damage itself, and it not considered to be participating in combat.

Developments
Q: If I have a development that is also a unit (by some other card effect, such as Kairos Fateweaver), and that development-unit is destroyed, does it trigger "unit enters discard" effects such as Offering to Hekarti?
A: The "unit enters discard" effect will only trigger if the development was a unit card itself. When cards hit the discard pile, they do so as whatever type they truly are, and not what type they may have been while in play.  Cards which trigger off of a unit being destroyed, such as Garden of Morr or Doomsayer of Morr, will still trigger from the development-unit being destroyed, regardless of the development's true type. 
See Judgement of Loec below for additional unit/development questions.

Q: If my opponent knows what card one development of mine is, am I allowed to rearrange/shuffle all my developments in that zone so that he can't tell anymore? In case he wants to make a distinction which development he returns to my hand with Long Winter, for example.
A: Yes, you can re-arrange or shuffle your developments before one is destroyed/returned to hand.

Deck

Q. Do I have to let my opponent know how many cards remain in my deck?
A. Yes. Any time your opponent asks you how many cards are left in your deck, you have to count the total and answer.

Hand

Q. Do I have to tell my opponent how many cards I have in my hand?
A: Yes. If your opponent asks you, you must count the total and answer.

Q. Can I reveal my hand if I have no cards in it?
A. Yes. If you have no cards in hand, you can still reveal a hand of 0 cards to a card effect

Q. Can I target my opponent with an effect that would make him discard from his hand, like Bladewind, if he has no cards in hand?
A. Yes. If he doesn't actually discard a card though, he is not considered to have discarded one. In the case of Bladewind, you would therefore not get to draw a card.

Discard Pile

Q. Can my opponent examine my discard pile?
A. Yes. You do not have to tell your opponent what is in your discard pile, but your opponent may examine its contents at any time.?
A. Yes.

Last edited by Entropy (2013-01-03 18:03:47)

Re: Rules Summary (with all official rulings)

Specific card rulings

Abandoned Mine
Q. If i have three copies of Abandoned Mine in play, at the beginning of my turn can i trigger each Abandoned Mine to take a total of 3 developments back into my hand?
A. Yes (official FAQ, Errata: Actions).

Q. If I have one Abandoned Mine can I trigger its action multiple times to draw multiple cards back into my hand?
A. No(official FAQ, Errata: Actions).

Alluring Daemonettes
Q. Can I use their ability more than once per turn?
A. Only if they somehow attack more than once per turn - their ability is a Triggered Action.  James's ruling

Altar of Khaine
Q. When do I need to trigger this Action in order to save my units which are being destroyed?
A. This card has received errata, and is no long an Action.  The effect is now a Triggered Constant that occurs "when the unit would be destroyed." (FAQ v1.1)

Q. If I use this on a unit that is owned by another player, do I return their unit to my hand?
A. No.  You cannot have cards owned by another player in your hand, deck, or discard. (FAQ v1.3)

Arkayne Vampire
Q. Can this unit be destroyed with damage?
A. Its hit points increase with every damage that is applied to it. So it is impossible to destroy this unit with damage, unless you blank its text box.

Q. When Arkayne Vampire is defending, how much damage do I need to assign to it before I can assign any to the zone?
A. When applying combat damage to defending units before damage can be applied to the zone, it is not necessary to take into account abilities other than damage cancellation. That means the attacking player need only assign damage equal to the Arkayne Vampire's remaining hit points before assigning damage to the zone it defends.

Q. How much indirect damage from a single effect can I assign to my Arkayne Vampire?
A. You cannot assign more indirect damage to a unit than it takes to destroy it. So like above, you can only assign indirect damage equal to the Arkayne Vampire's remaining hit points.

Arrer Boyz
Q. Why does it say "takes damage" on Arrer Boyz instead of "is dealt damage"?
A. Because the source of the effect is itself.  James's ruling

Banna of da Red Sunz
Q. Can the damage from Banna be cancelled or redirected?
A. Yes, "Damage token" is equivalent to "damage" and can be cancelled or redirected. The card should read "...assign one of those resources as 1 damage to a target unit of your choice." Lukas

Q. Is the effect of Banna of da Red Sunz affected by Church of Sigmar?
A. Yes.  Church of Sigmar would affect it, since you would be the one targeting the unit (it is your choice). You would also have to choose one of your own units, if that was the only option.

Bathe in Blood
Q. Can you play this on an opponent's unit?  If so, is it sacrificed.
A. Yes, you can, but you can only sacrifice your own units, so the "at the end of the turn" effect will have no effect.

Beastman Incursion
Q. If I have two or three Incursions with units questing on them, can I get rid of all of them by skipping 1 battlefield phase?
A. Yes. By triggering the Action, you skip your battlefield phase as a cost; you can skip it as many times as you want, since the phase still exists even when skipped. (Lukas)

Blessing of Valaya
Q. If the unit takes less than 2 damage before the end of turn, does the Blessing effect wear off?
A. Yes, Blessing of Valaya creates a conditional effect.  Conditional effects last until their condition is met, or until end of turn, whichever occurs first.  (FAQ v1.1)
A. See also, Fiery Dawn.

Bloodletter
Q. How is Bloodletter's effect taken into consideration when assigning damage to defenders and the capital?  For example, a 4 power unit attacking 2 defenders with 2 HP each, with 1 Bloodletter in play.
A. You take multipliers into account provided it multiplies the damage when it is assigned. Since the Bloodletter doubles the damage as you assign it, you can assign one damage to one unit and have it double into two damage (thereby fulfilling the requirement of assigning enough damage to destroy it), assign another damage to the second unit and have it double into two damage, and then assign the last two damage to the capital. Lukas

Q. How are the effects of multiple Bloodletters calculated?
A. The Bloodletter automatically doubles the damage being assigned as it is assigned, so once you assign a single damage to a unit then it is immediately doubled. This does work on non-combat damage, since you still assign it before applying it. (FAQ v1.5)

Bloodthirster
Q. Does the Bloodthirster sacrifice itself if it is the only unit in its zone at the beginning of the turn?
A. Yes.

Q. Is it only the damage that the Bloodthirster deals that can't be cancelled, or all damage?
A. While the Bloodthirster is in play, all damage cannot be cancelled.

Boar Attack
Q. When Boar Attack is played by my opponent and I have one burning zone and no developments in any zone, do I have to deal damage to another zone of mine?
A. Yes.  Damage cannot be assigned/dealt to a burning zone. (FAQ v1) James Ruling

Branded by Khorne
Q. If I play this on a unit which is already damaged, is the unit destroyed?
A. No. This card will be clarified in a future FAQ to indicate it only works with damage dealt after the card is attached.

Q. When a unit with more than 1 HP and Branded by Khorne attached to it is defending, how much damage do I have to assign to it before I can assign any to the zone?
A. You do not take Branded by Khorne into consideration in this situation. You still have to assign as much damage as is needed to destroy the unit based on its remaining HP and any known cancellation effects.

Caught the Scent
Q. During my turn, if an opponent is playing a unit that can be played any time you can play an action, such as Gryphon Legionnaire, can I respond with Caught the Scent to remove the card from their hand?
A. No. The Legionnaire is no longer considered to be part of your hand. (Lukas)

Chillwind
Q. If I have only one unit in play, which is already corrupted, could i choose this one to corrupt it again and to restore it afterwards?
A. You cannot corrupt an already corrupted unit. If there are only corrupted units in play, you can play Chillwind, but nothing will happen since you cannot corrupt one and therefore won't get to restore one. (Lukas)

Church of Sigmar
Q. Does Church of Sigmar affects units in my discard pile or hand?
A. Yes.  While constant effects only apply to cards in play, unless otherwise stated, Churchs of Sigmar's effect acts on your opponent and will cause him to pay extra resources to target a card in play or out of play.  (FAQ v1.4)

Dark Blessing
Q. Does this effect expire at the end of the turn.
A. Yes.  Effects that do not alter the game state (moving a card, or damage, or changing ownership, etc) expire at the end of the turn by default, though most of these effects also state "until the end of the turn". James (and additional clarification from Lukas regarding game state changes)

Deathmaster Sniktch
Q. If I have 1 other Skaven in play and my opponent has a 2 HP creature with 1 damage on it, can I use the Deathmaster's ability to destroy it?
A. No.  The Deathmaster's ability only cares about HP, not damage.  The card has received errata to reflect this.  The word "remaining" was a typo.  (FAQ v1.1)

Q. If the number of Skaven cards in play changes after I play the Deathmaster's ability (due to other actions being played in response), can that stop the Deathmaster destroying his target?
A. Yes.  If the number of Skaven cards in play would be equal to or greater than the hitpoints of the units when the ability resolves, then the Deathmaster's ability will fizzle.  James's ruling

Defend the Border
Q. If I have 2 copies of Defend the Border with 3 resource tokens on each and my capital takes 2 damage, what happens?
A. The same thing as if you only had 1 copy of Defend the Border with 3 resource tokens on it. The first point of damage (and only the first point) is redirected and the second point is dealt normally.

Dragonmage
Q. If I have Gromril Armour on a Dragonmage, does it still take damage?
A. No.  James's ruling

Drain Magic
Q. Can I use Drain Magic to cancel an Epic Spell?
A. Drain Magic does not apply to an Epic Spell. Epic Spell is its own trait, separate from the Spell trait. Any time a card refers to a trait it refers to the entire trait. (Lukas)

Duregan Thorgrimson
Q. Using his ability, if Duregan kills a unit, does that unit still deal his power in damage back to Duregan?
A. Yes, this ability was intended to work like Lure Them Out.  The units deal their damage to each other equal to their power.  (FAQ v1.3, errata)

Dwarf Cannon Crew
Q. Do loyalty symbols matter for the cost of the support card in the top 5 cards?
A. No (FAQ v1.4 - Cost).

Q. If the Cannon Crew put a Limited card into play, can I still play a Limited card from my hand as normal?
A. No. Cards put into play follow the same restrictions as cards played. (Rulebook - "Put Into Play")

Q. If I find a support card but don't want to put it into play, can I choose not to?
A. Yes.  You reshuffle the deck afterwards.  (FAQ v1.1 - "Card Errata")

Q. If I do not find a support card, do I reshuffle the deck?
A. Yes.  James's ruling

Dwarf Ranger
Q. If multiple Rangers are destroyed by the same effect (e.g. Troll Vomit, Judgement of Verena, combat damage), do they trigger their damage on destruction?
A. No, they must be in play for their trigger to activate.

Q. If I choose to deal damage to a capital, who chooses which section is damaged?
A. The player controlling the Dwarf Ranger. (see Sadistic Mutation)

Q. Does a Dwarf Ranger trigger when a unit that is face down as a development leaves play?
A. No. This is because it is a development leaving play not a unit. (James' Ruling)

Easy Pickin's
Q. If a unit is created with Bolt of Change, what is its cost for cards like Easy Pickin's?
A. Easy Pickin's only applies to units with a printed cost. The unit created via Bolt of Change does not have a printed cost, and therefore is not a valid target of the tactic. (Lukas)

Eatine Harbour
Q. What constitutes a "triggered ability"?
A: Triggered abilities are Actions and Forced Effects, as well as any Constant Effects or Keywords that contain a trigger condition. (Lukas)  However, this card has received errata and no longer references "triggered abilities".  (FAQ v1.4)

Garden of Morr
Q. When do I need to activate Garden of Morr?
A. This has been errata'd to be a Forced ability, and now triggers as soon as the unit leaves play. (FAQ 1.3) See FAQ Flowchart for detailed timing info.

Grimgor Ironhide
Q. If I turn Grimgor face up with Rip Dere 'Eads Off!, does Grimgor destroy the support cards and developments in the corresponding zones?
A. No. The development containing Grimgor is already in play, so Grimgor does not enter play directly and his ability is not triggered (official FAQ).

Grimgor's Spike
Q. Are all attacking units destroyed as long as some units take damage, or are only the units that were specifically damaged destroyed?
A. Grimgor's Spike will only destroy each attacking unit that has combat damage assigned to it. (Lukas)

Grudge Thrower
Q. If I sacrifice a unit to Grudge Thrower before combat, do I still get the attacking or defending bonus?
A. Yes.  James's ruling

Har Ganeth
Q. If I target a unit with Har Ganeth's ability and some other action happens in response to raise its hitpoints above 1, does the unit still return to its owners hand?
A. No, the ability will fizzle.  James's ruling

Q. Can I reduce the hitpoints of a unit (e.g. Vile Sorceress's ability, We Need Your Blood, etc) and then return it to owners hand with Har Ganeth?
A. Yes.  See the FAQ flowchart for detailed information on "at the beginning of the turn" timing.

Harpies
Q. If I use the Harpies' ability and then uncorrupt them via Chillwind or other restoration effect, can I use it again in the same turn?
A. No.  It is a Triggered Action like beginning-of-the-turn actions and you can only use it once per turn.  James's ruling

Hate
Q. Can I steal resource tokens from a quest or unit that has resource tokens on it?
A. No.  You can only take a resource from the opponent's resource pool. James' Ruling

Helbane's Raiders
Q. Do cards like Caught the Scent trigger Helbane's Raiders, even though you choose the card to discard?
A. Yes.  Anytime a card is discarded from a player's hand the owner is considered to be the one discarding it. (Lukas)

Hellcannon Reserves
Q. Does the extra damage from Hellcannon Reserves apply to non-targeted damage dealt from Nurgle's Pestilence?
A. No, the Reserves only add damage to effects that specifically say "target", e.g. Flames of Tzeentch. James's ruling

Horrific Mutation
Q. A unit with Counterstrike is assigned to defend against an attacker with Horrific Mutation. If the Mutation would reduce its hitpoints to 0 or to the damage on it, does it deal Counterstrike damage?
A. Yes.  This is a correction of a previous ruling.  Once triggered, both effects exist independent of their source. (FAQ v1.4 - Flowchart)

Iron Discipline
Q. If my opponent plays an attachment on a unit, can I use Iron Discipline to make him pay extra resources or cancel the attachment?
A. Yes.  (FAQ v1.2, reversal of FAQ v1.1)

Isha's Gaze
Q. Can I heal a unit that has no damage on it to trigger Isha's Gaze?
A. No. (FAQ v1.1 "Healing")

Johannes Broheim
Q. Can I move Johannes on my opponent's turn?
A. Yes. He can move at the end of every phase, not just the phases in your turn.

Judgement of Loec
Q. Does the unit cease to be a unit when it becomes a development?
A. Yes.

Q. Does it lose its traits (including 'Hero') and its uniqueness?
A. It has no power, HP, cost, loyalty, traits or text box. It does, however, retain its title and uniqueness and is considered to be in play, so if it is played on a unique character you could not play another copy of that character.

Q.If this is played on a character that is on a quest, is there still a character on the quest? If not, can you play another character onto this quest?
A.If it is played on a unit that is questing, that unit is no longer considered to be on the quest, and you will remove all tokens from the quest card and place the card in the quest zone and off the quest. (Lukas)

Q. If another effect turns the Judgement of Loec development into a unit (i.e. Kairos Fateweaver,Bolt of Change, or Spellsinger) what happens?
A. You take the net effect of the two effects.  For most effects (like these examples), this results in a blank unit with no power and 2 HP.

Khorvak Grimbreath
Q. If card effects using "cannot" cannot be overridden by other effects, how does Khorvak allow corrupted units to attack, since the rulebook says they "cannot" attack?
A. If an effect has "cannot" in its text, then that effect can't be overridden by other effects unless those effects specifically say that something "can" do that action.  For example, consider the always active effect, "units cannot attack from the quest zone".  If a card says "Declare an attack with a target unit, during you Kingdom phase", then you cannot attack with a unit in your quest zone.  If a card says "units in your Quest zone can attack" then this is specifically overriding the original effect, and units in your quest zone can attack whenever another effect (or the turn structure) would allow them to attack.

King Kazador
Q. If I play Troll Vomit or Judgement of Verena, must I spend an additional 3 resources to destroy Kazador?
A. No. Troll Vomit and Judgement of Verena do not target cards.

Lord of Change
Q. With Lord of Change in play, when a player draws more than one card during his quest phase, does he have to show them all to his opponent?
A. No.  Only the top card is revealed, and all cards are drawn at once. (Lukas)

Lore Seeker
Q. Can I trigger the second action when there is no resource token on Lore Seeker?
A. No. (Caleb)

Mountain Brigands
Q. Can I steal resource tokens from a quest or unit that has resource tokens on it?
A. No.  You can only take a resource from the opponent's resource pool. James' Ruling

Oathbearer
Q. If Oathbearer is defending, and we assign enough damage to kill him and burn the zone, does his constant effect turn him into a development in time to save the zone from burning?
A. All damage will be applied at once, before the Oathbearer's constant resolves. So the zone will burn.

Outpost of Tiranoc
Q. If a card says "takes" damage, like Loremaster of Hoeth, does the Outpost still add 1 to the indirect damage it deals?
A. Yes.  If a unit or player "takes" damage, the source of that damage is still considered to have dealt damage.  Often this wording is used when a player or unit is damaging themselves. James' Ruling

Q. If a card effect deals uncancellable indirect damage, like Pigeon Bombs, does the Outpost add 1 indirect damage or 1 uncancellable indirect damage?
A. 1 indirect damage. If you play Pigeon Bombs with Outpost of Tiranoc in play, you deal 1 uncancellable indirect damage + 1 indirect damage.

Perfecting the Spell
Q. Do all the cards have to go on either the top or the bottom, or can I split them up?
A. You can put some on the top and some on the bottom. (Lukas)

Protective Spites
Q. If the unit takes 2 damage, do you remove 1 or 2 tokens?
A. Protective Spites prevents all the damage dealt to the unit at the cost of 1 resource token. So even if it takes 7 damage, you will only remove 1 token instead.

Q. If this unit is blocking, do you have to consider the Spites when figuring out if you can assign any damage to the capital?
A. You do not have to take the Spites' ability into consideration when assigning damage, as they do not "cancel" damage.

Q. If this effect and another "when this unit would be dealt damage, do something" effect are both on the same unit, how do you resolve them? i.e. if this was on Warrior Priests or War Hydra
A. The Spites should say "If attached unit would be dealt damage, you may remove a resource token from this card instead." So you choose which effect to resolve first.  If you choose the Spites first, you remove a token and the damage is cancelled.  The redirect effect then has no effect.  If you choose the redirect effect first, then the Spites can still optionally "cancel" the remaining damage by removing a token.Lukas (FAQ v1.5)

Raiding Camps
Q. If (after this effect is triggered, but before it resolves) the unit on this quest is removed from the quest, do I still get to destroy the target support?
A. No.  The 'If..." conditional on Raiding Camps will fizzle if there is no longer any unit on the quest.  Conditionals are active from targeting through resolution. "Then" conditionals require the previous clause to have occurred, and are separate from the previous ability; "If" conditionals modify the ability itself. Lukas.

Rat Ogres
Q. If I have multiple copies of Rat Ogres in play, can I corrupt a Clan Rats/Deathmaster Sniktch/etc between the Rat Ogres uncorruption triggers?
A. No.  All Triggered Actions must go onto the chain before other Actions can be played in response.  (FAQ v1.4 - Flowchart)

Reaper Bolt Thrower / Repeater Bolt Thrower
Q. Can I use the Bolt Thrower's ability more than once in the same turn?
A. No (Card errata, FAQ v1.2).

Q. If a response to the activation of the Repeater Bolt Thrower destroys a development (e.g. via Demolition), does it change the amount of indirect damage the Bolt Thrower does?
A. No, since the X was already fixed when the Repeater Bolt Thrower activation cost was paid.  James's ruling

Reclaim the Hold
Q. If a card is sacrificed, can I turn it into a development using Reclaim the Hold?
A. No, once you sacrifice the unit, you cannot stop it from entering the discard pile unless a card text very specifically overrules this by referring to the term "sacrifice". Lukas

Q. If a card is turned into a development with Reclaim the Hold, does that card still trigger "leaves play" or "enters discard" effects, such as Dwarf Ranger or Great Book of Grudges?
A. No, with Reclaim the Hold the card is never actually leaving play; it should be worded as ("If one of your cards would leave play, you may discard one resource token from this card...") since it is a replacement effect (which in this case is marked by the word "instead"). Lukas

Rip Dere 'Eads Off!
Q. If I turn Grimgor Ironhide face up with Rip Dere 'Eads Off!, does Grimgor destroy the support cards and developments in the corresponding zones?
A. No. The development containing Grimgor is already in play, so Grimgor does not enter play directly and his ability is not triggered (FAQ v1.0).

Q. If my opponent responds to me playing a hero with Rip Dere 'Eads Off and reveals the same hero, what happens?
A. The hero that Rip Dere 'Eads Off revealed remains in play.  The unit that caused the illegal state to occur (the version played from hand) is immediately sacrificed. FAQ v1.1

Rodrik's Raiders
Q. If I target an attachment on my unit, such as a Disease or Hex, that is owned by another player, where does the development go?
A. You cannot control cards as developments that are owned by your opponents. So once the attachment tries to become a development in your zone, it is immediately discarded from play. (FAQ v1.3, Developments)

Sadistic Mutation
Q. If you play Sadistic Mutation on a Nurgle Sorceror, does it do an extra damage if you activate the Sorceror during combat?
A. No. Sadistic Mutation activates only when damage is done as a result of combat.

Q. If I choose to deal damage to a capital, who chooses which section is damaged?
A. The player controlling the Mutation. Nate's ruling

Q. If damage dealt by a unit is canceled, does Sadistic Mutation trigger and do its damage?
A. Yes, but only if the attached unit adds at least 1 damage to the damage pool, AND at least 1 damage from the combat damage pool is applied to a unit or capital. (FAQ, "Dealing Damage in Combat")

Scion of the Everqueen
Q. Can I play Charge of the Silver Helms on Scion of the Everqueen?
A. You can target her with card effects that subtract HP, but they will have no effect. So yes, you could play Charge of the Silver Helms on her to give her +3 power, since the card does not require the -1 HP to have an effect for the boost to resolve since it uses the word "and". (Lukas)

Seeking New Slaves
Q. When I play a unit with Necromancy from my discard pile, can my opponent respond to it with Seeking New Slaves (assuming the unit is an eligible target for it), targeting that unit and bring it into play himself?
A. No.  When a unit is being played by Necromancy, it is not in play or in the player's discard, so it is not a viable target for SNS. This card must target an "out of play" unit (FAQ v1.4 - FAQ)

Shrine to Nurgle
Q. If you have Shrine To Nurgle in play, and damage an opposing unit via direct damage (e.g. Flames of Tzeentch, Nurgle Sorceror), does it become corrupted?
A. No (official FAQ, errata to Shrine to Nurgle).

Q. If you play Nurgle's Pestilence during combat with a Shrine to Nurgle in play, does it corrupt all of the opponent's units?
A. No (official FAQ, errata to Shrine to Nurgle).

Q. If you have Shrine To Nurgle in play, and damage an opposing unit via counterstrike damage, does it become corrupted?
A. Yes.  Counterstrike damage is considered combat damage (official FAQ, counterstrike definition). Note that the corrupted unit in this case was already declared as an attacker, so it continues combat normally unless it is destroyed by the counterstrike damage.

Slaanesh's Domination
Q. Can my opponent respond to me playing Slaanesh's Domination by playing tactics so that I won't be able to play them?
A. Yes, but they must do that before the 3 random cards are revealed.

Q. Can either player respond to tactics played by Slaanesh's Domination?
A. Yes, the cards will start their own action chains that must be resolved fully before continuing on with the original chain. Only the revealed tactics may start an action chain at this juncture (unless another Slaanesh's Domination or similar effect comes into play). You can play any revealed tactics in response to each other as well. Also note that the player who reveals the three cards from their hand may not play any of the revealed cards in response. (Lukas)

Shrine to Taal
Q. If the number of developments I have in the zone containing Shrine to Taal changes, does it affect the power bonus granted by Shrine to Taal?
A. No. The power bonus is fixed at the resolution of the Shrine to Taal effect. Nate's ruling

Soul Stealer
Q. If a unit already has Soulstealer on it, and I play a 2nd Soulstealer onto that unit who controls it?
A. If you play Soul Stealer on a unit that has already been stolen, then your effect and your opponent's effect cancel each other out and you will regain control of the unit.

Squig Pen
Q. Is Squig Pen's "Play in a zone with no developments" a restriction? Can Squig Trackers get a Squig Pen into play in a zone that has a development?
A. This is a play restriction, and Squig Trackers cannot be used to put a Squig Pen into a zone with developments.

Stand Your Ground
Q. If a dwarf unit was a development that was destroyed, can I play Stand Your Ground to return it to play?
A. Yes (official FAQ).

Stubborn Refusal
Q. If damage is applied to a unit and it is enough to destroy it, can I move the damage off the unit with Stubborn Refusal?
A. No. Stubborn Refusal cannot be used to prevent terminal damage, there is no action window between that damage being applied, and the unit being destroyed. Nate's ruling

Swordmasters of Hoeth
Q. If I defend with Swordmasters of Hoeth, and the attackers have 20 damage to assign, how much damage MUST be assigned to the Swordmasters before damage can be assigned to my capital?
A. All of it.  Units must be assigned enough damage to destroy them, including cancellation effects.  Since Swordmasters cancel all combat damage, no damage can be assigned to the capital (see Combat Damage above).  James' Ruling

The Glittering Tower
Q. If multiple units are healed by the same effect (e.g. Initiate of Saphery's ability), does the Tower's ability trigger once or once for each unit healed?
A. It triggers once for each unit healed.  So if Greater Heal healed 3 units, you would get to do 3 instances of 1 damage assigned as you wish.  Each 1 damage resolves individually, so a unit with Toughness 1 could cancel all 3 damage. (FAQ v1.1 and Lukas)

The Greatswords
Q. Does The Greatswords give itself +1 Power when it enters play?
A. Yes. Nate's ruling and (FAQ v1.4 - Entering Play)

Q. Wait, what?  How can it trigger its own ability when its not in play yet?
A. First, The Greatswords enters play.  Once it enters play, it checks for any effects that trigger when a card enters play.  It finds its own effect (and possibly others) and then those card effects initiate and resolve.

Q. Does The Greatswords get +1 Power when a unit moves into its zone (e.g. via Johannes Broheim, Pistoliers, Forced March)?
A. Yes.

Totem of Gork
Q. Does the power bonus granted by the Totem apply to all units in battlefield zones, or just the battlefield with the Totem in it?
A. Just the battlefield with the Totem.  Each player has 3 zones which are considered separate zones from opposing zones.

The Unending Horde
Q. Does attaching a unit card to The Unending Horde trigger "leaves play" effects?
A. The units are not considered to have left play until they are attached to the card. So they end up "out of play" but leaving play effects will not trigger. (Lukas)

Thyrus Gorman
Q. Why does it say "takes damage" on Thyrus Gorman instead of "is dealt damage"?
A. Because the source of the effect is itself.  James's ruling

Tunnel Fighter
Q. If my opponent has a Master Rune of Dismay in play, and I sacrifice three developments to lower Tunnel Fighter's cost to 0, do I have to pay an additional resource?
A. Tunnel Fighter's ability only applies to its printed cost. You will have to pay an additional resource for each Master Rune of Dismay in order to play it. (Lukas)

Twin-Tailed Comet
Q. If a variable cost tactic like Flames of Tzeentch is copied, what is the X in the effect?
A. 0. So a copied Flames of Tzeentch would normally do 0 damage. Nate's ruling

Q. When does a card which targets a "just played" card (like TTC, Drain Magic, or High Elf's Disdain) have to be played?
A. Cards which target a "just played" card must be played immediately after the card to be targeted.  This ruling may change slightly in FAQ v1.6.

Unleashing the Spell
Q. Can the damage to the capital be dealt to multiple zones?
A. Yes.  The player playing the tactic can choose to split the damage among his opponent's zones.

Q. When do I choose the target, set X, and sacrifice the developments?
A. First you play the card, you need to choose a target for this spell (you do not need to name quantities at this time). When it is time for the spell to resolve, you put the top card of your deck facedown as a development, and then decide how many developments to sacrifice (targeting the previously named unit).

Urguck
Q. How does Urguck work? Can I add damage to him to get resources?
A. No, you may remove damage from him during your capital phase and for each damage removed you gain 1 resource.

Valley of Many Eyes
Q. Does the Forced effect destroy a card as it is being played?
A. No. Valley of Many Eyes should be read as "Forced: When a card enters this zone from your hand ..." So the card enters the zone and then you check if it gets destroyed.

Vigilant Elector
Q. Do the Electors count as a unit after they change to an attachment?
A. No, and in fact they have been errata'd to be a support card after they change. (FAQ v1.1)

Q. When you attach Vigilant Electors to a unit, does VE's power still count?
A. No. A card that is an Attachment is not considered to have any power icons. (Lukas)

Visit the Haunted City BANNED
Q. What happens if I move an attachment, like Great Book of Grudges, with Visit the Haunted City?
A. You must attach the attachment to a new card in the zone chosen, if able. Your choice. There must be a valid target for the move. Otherwise, the end result will leave the attachment where it is. (Lukas)

Voice of Command
Q. What happens if a card that I paid 1 extra for gets shuffled back into my library from my discard pile before the end of the turn?
A. Errata'd to say "Action: Until the end of the turn, when you play a tactic, you may spend 1 resource to return it from your discard pile to your hand at the end of the turn." So you will discard the tactic, and provided it is in your discard pile at the end of the turn you will then return it to hand. (FAQ v1.5)

Waaagh!
Q. If I play Waaagh before combat (e.g. at the beginning of my turn), do I still get the bonus to power when I attack?
A. Yes.  James's ruling

Warpstone Meteor
Q. Can I choose to take damage on the capital instead of corrupting a unit in the same zone as the Meteor?
A. Yes. Nate's ruling

Q. Can I take the damage anywhere in the capital, or must it be in the same zone?
A. Anywhere in the capital.

Warp Lightning Cannon
Q. Can I attach the Cannon to an opponent's unit when I play it (and therefore corrupt that unit)?
A. Yes.  (FAQ v1.1 "Attachments")

We'z Bigga!
Q. If I play 2 copies of We'z Bigga and then a unit, does the unit cost 1 or 2 less? And does it come into play with 1 or 2 damage on it?
A. The unit will cost 2 less and come into play with 2 damage on it. Nate's ruling

Wilhelm of the Osterknacht
Q. Does his effect target a unit?
A. Yes (FAQ 1.3 Errata)

Will of the Electors
Q. Can I move developments from one zone to 2 other zones with Will of the Electors?
A. No, the developments must go to the same zone.

Witch Hag's Curse
Q. Is "Limit one Hero per zone" a clarification of what the Hero trait means, or actual rules text on the cards?  i.e., would it be blanked by Witch Hag's Curse?
A. ”Limit one Hero per zone” is actual rules text on the card. Traits are passive, and cannot contain any rules in and of themselves. So if you blank a hero’s text box with the Curse, then it loses the limitation (but not the Trait). However, any other hero played into that zone would still carry the limitation, so the only way to get two of them in a zone with the Curse would be to move a second hero with it already attached into the same zone. (Lukas)

You's Bigga
Q. If I play You's Bigga along with another cost reduction ability, like Grimgor's Camp, can it reduce the cost of my next unit to 0?
A. No. Both of the constants trigger at the same time, but because they are passive constants you apply the net sum of their effects. So you are lowering the cost by three, but to a minimum of 1.

Last edited by Mallumo (2012-08-13 17:41:16)

Added resource ruling on Hate & Mountain Brigands

Added Duregan Thorgrimson

Added Corruption question, Seeking New Slaves, Lord of Change, Caught the Scent

Updated for v1.3 FAQ

Entropy wrote:

Updated for v1.3 FAQ

Oops, you have arrived at the wrong place!
There was an 404 error. It is possible that the content has been moved or deleted. We apologize for any inconvenience.

5oRitez wrote:
Entropy wrote:

Updated for v1.3 FAQ

Oops, you have arrived at the wrong place!
There was an 404 error. It is possible that the content has been moved or deleted. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sorry, linked fixed.

Updated for v1.4 FAQ

I'm orrified with the choosing of the limited cards.... Soul Stealer... and no trace of Verena, Visit the Haunted City... bah.. i cannot imagine how ppl play in US at this rate..

Dwarves are dead... :'(

Here's an official errata for the Empire's Tactic Voice of Command, from The Twin-Tailed Comet battle pack; i asked:

i've a question about the new Empire Tactic, Voice of Command, from the latest battle pack; the card says:

"Action: Untill the end of your turn every time you play a tactic you may pay 1 resource to move it to its owner's hand by the end of the turn."

but what exactly happen to the tactics that i choose to recover at the end of the turn? Are these put in the discard pile and then put back in the hand, or kept apart from the discard pile? And what happens if, for some effect (like Order in Chaos), the tactics are shuffled/put back in the draw deck?

and this is the reply from Lukas:

Voice of Command will be errata'd in the next FAQ to say "Action: Until the end of the turn, when you play a tactic, you may spend 1 resource to return it from your discard pile to your hand at the end of the turn." So you will discard the tactic, and provided it is in your discard pile at the end of the turn you will then return it to hand.

Yo!

Could someone asked FFG guys to make some change (errata) to DE Vanguard of Voe please?
This is the card which makes loads of problems.
It says:
Action: When this unit leaves play, target opponent discards a card from his hand.

Now, when exactly is action window for playing that action? You cannot play action when card is not in play, so when Vanguards are destroyed/returned to hand they cannot activate their action.
Another situation - I want to sacrifice them on Slave Pen. Again there is no action window for their ability as sacrificing unit on Slave Pen is a paying a cost and Vanguard leaves play before they can activate their action.

cheers
daniello_s

whi card rulings are disturbing sometimes

but you simply have to go with "WHEN this unit leaves play"

it is the action of the card itself and since you deal with evil magical units, you should know that its evil soul abilities trigger while diing cuz its abilities trigger in the power of twilight that its able to use smile

the leaving of play is a status/phase itself that the card is going through

the vanguard is not the only card with a half offplay ability and you never know, since there are already constant effects (undead necromancy) for units in the pile, there might b even actions in the pile on future cards

Last edited by 5oRitez (2011-06-24 09:55:15)

So I assume the same situation is with Ungor Raiders?

Situation - chain of action is resolving and one of the effects destroys Ungor Raiders. Because chain of action is still resolving I cannot play an action from Ungor Raiders however triggering state has occured. Ungor Raiders goes on discard pile. Oryginal chain of action completes.

Can I play Ungor Raiders action after the original chain of action resolves depite the fact this card is already on the discard pile?

its like:

ungor raiders would do the same thing at the same time as Desecrated Temple

EG 2 damage are assigned on it, then next u applie the 2 damage on it.
NOW it will leave play and you are able to use the actions of both cards.

but u were talking about an actionchain

here it is a bit the same: the opponents chain is made of steps too
whenever he/she would kick ur card, he/she would have to risk, that you are using the action

"
B. Action Window
1. Players take turns putting Triggered Actions that have met their trigger condition since the last Action Window on a chain, starting with the first player (the Triggered Actions also must have met their trigger condition this turn) and continuing until all players pass
-After this, players may only trigger a Triggered Action if it has met its trigger condition since the beginning of the Action Window, and they must do so at the first opportunity (adding it to the next chain, or starting a new one)
2. Players have the opportunity to play actions (starting with the active player, these will either start a new chain or be added to an existing chain if any Triggered Actions were triggered during B-1)
-Choose targets, then pay all costs. If this triggers a Constant or Forced Effect(s), [Go to A]
-This continues until both players have passed consecutively
"

Cheers man.

I think FFG should fix this with next FAQ (maybe errata on cards with Actions like 'When this unit leaves play/is destroyed...' should be changed to Forced effects which would clear situation) cause for now those cards effects are played (it looks like at least) from discard/out of play and some players may have objections.

when my ungor raiders leave play and my opponent has no developments but i have 1 that i dont want to give away, then........ no, i wouldnt want the effect to b forced wink

in the end its still a game and it is interesting because of the coolness of the cards
some units are asterix and some units are obelix
the one is using potions, the other one is constantly gifted
regarding all pros n cons bound to this fact its getting kinda hectic big_smile

Last edited by 5oRitez (2011-06-30 10:19:26)

yeah u r right with those forced effect

but still it need official clarifications like note in new faq

you should not look at these rules too much
just play the cards as u understanyd em and as they would make sense

all the FAQ stuff is only up, because questions raised for certain game mechanics
so theyve anatomized and analyzed each and every step because of certain qestions to make clear to understand for everyone what just happened exactly in that specific moment
or even modified details a bit
or sometimes it had to get explained, how much of something wil happen

whenever you and your opponent argue about a situtation, you can now read the PDF or if nothing helps, ask the forum
wouldnt it suck, if an action printed on a unit would have to wait 2 years until an action-chain-braking-attachment-card is released?

Last edited by 5oRitez (2011-06-30 22:05:17)

daniello_s wrote:

yeah u r right with those forced effect

but still it need official clarifications like note in new faq

The FAQ flowchart that 5oRitez quoted was the clarification put in to deal with cards like you just mentioned.  There are literally over 100 cards in W:I that have the format "Action: When <something>, do <something>"  None of them technically worked correctly before this flowchart.  FFG is VERY hesitant to release errata for cards, and there is no chance they will issue errata for 100+ cards that work under the current version of the FAQ.

FAQ v1.5 was released today by FFG.

Entropy wrote:

Last updated: 12/14/2011 - Added Fiery Dawn

Entropy wrote:

Fiery Dawn
Q. Does this effect expire at the end of the turn.
A. Yes.  Effects that do not alter the game state (moving a card, or damage, or changing ownership, etc) expire at the end of the turn by default, though most of these effects also state "until the end of the turn". James (and additional clarification from Lukas regarding game state changes)

I'm guessing this is about Dark Blessing?

Last edited by Mallumo (2012-01-26 03:25:54)

Yes, nice detective work :-)

Q. If a card enters play during the action window in Phase 0 (or a development is flipped over) and that card has a Forced effect that triggers at the beginning of the turn (like Bloodthirster), does the forced effect trigger.
A. No. Forced actions all trigger before player actions, so the window for triggering forced abilities that turn has already passed.

Do note however that you could also turn your development over or bring the creature into play (Raise Dead for example) Before the End of your opponents turn.

Last edited by Antisoul (2012-02-13 22:28:42)

Ziye,

Yes, you must declare X when you play the card, and before it resolves. You can split the damage as you wish among the zones of the capital. Hope that helps,

Lukas Litzsinger   

Rule Question:
If I play Unleash the spell(MC94), do I need to claim the exact number of X when I play it or I may claim the number when it's solved? Moreover, can the damage be split to different sections as my will? the timing of the claim of X greatly affect the game when it's responded by cards like High elf's disdain(AU 21).

Thanks