Topic: [Ruling] Constant Effects

Is there any ruling on wich cards are affected by "constant effects" ?

E.g.: I have the Church of Sigmar in play - does the units i play from my hand or the ones standing on my discard pile gains the effects provided by the Church ?

Please, we'r having some problems finding where in the rule set is specified that "constant effects" affects the cards only in play.

Thanks in advance,

Zawardo.

Re: [Ruling] Constant Effects

Such effects like Church of Sigmar work only on Cards in Play.

So cards in your hand/deck/discard are not affected.

To affect cards out of play it must be read on card.

i need the ruling quote about that, since what you say is the "logic way" to read cards but not what is intended in the game atm...

You could use FAQ for example smile

this time you got it for free

"Out of Play
Out of play is the deck, hand, and discard pile zones. If a card would go to an out of play zone, it goes to its owner‟s out of play zone. A card that moves from an in play zone to an out of play zone is treated as though it were a new card. Any effects connected to the card will no longer affect it. The only exception to this rule is any abilities that trigger when a card moves from an in play zone to an out of play zone.ę

That's the same part i've posted on forums, the problem is that the "effects" they'r speaking of seems to be the one of the card and not a constant one...

Sigh...

I've seen this question asked before, and I'm fairly sure I managed to find the right quote.  I can try to do so again, but I can also save us all a lot of time and just assure you that effects (forced, action, constant) cannot target cards that are not in play unless they explicitly say they can.

Please Entropy find it so we can play as all the World (the problem is born 'cause our translation isnt clear...)

I found the question I remembered, and for all I know you are the one who asked it.
http://www.kingdomheartstcg.com/edge_fo … idt=399771
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that time either, because its not actually in the rules.

I didn't read Church of Sigmar carefully enough the first time.  It doesn't target a card in your discard, its an effect that modifies your opponent.  However, by this logic it also affects a unit that is in your hand, or a unit "just played" and still on the stack.  This is not how its supposed to work. 

I talked about this card with Lukas at FFG, and he said "Church of Sigmar should only affect units you control that are in play." and "Unless otherwise stated, constant effects only apply to cards in play."

That's the most official answer that is possible until an updated FAQ is released.

Edit: Update - the Church modifies the opponent rather than your cards, so if it is a "target" effect on a card in an out of play zone, then the Church still works.

Last edited by Entropy (2011-03-09 16:24:21)

That was the post i was referring to...

So atm the church works "on opponent" and not on cards as far i've intended.

Tyvm Entropy smile

Like Entropy Edited

"5. Does Church of Sigmar affects units out of play ? (Discard/Hand)
Whenever your opponent uses an effect that targets one of your units, they must pay an additional resource. It does not matter if the unit is out of play or in play, provided it is being targeted."

from Lukas.