Topic: Recursion with ETB devotion effects, and why Blue makes a splash.

I was just wanting to discuss the interesting effect of playing clone in a deck with Gray merchants, Overlords,  Mogis' maraunders, etc.

I have had some interesting interaction of having Clone enter the field as a copy of say, a Nemesis of Mortals, letting it die 1 for 1 or something and then later on playing a gray merchant and then bringing back the clone as a copy of the merchant and hitting for like 9 damage.

the extra value of either copying their fatty and/or double dipping on something like a gray merchant seems devastating.

thoughts?

Re: Recursion with ETB devotion effects, and why Blue makes a splash.

I think there might be potential for the inclusion of clone in something like the mono black deck splash blue for nightviel, ashiok, far/away.  It can also copy an activated god on the opponent side. 

Here's the thing though.  It should only be 1 of card, or maybe... maybe a 2 of.  You really want it to function as a 5th copy of Gary or nightveil for extra devotion. 

Testing could be worth it, it can be whipped just like anything else.  The only thing is, it only helps if you're board is already developed (in which case you're probably winning or at least stable), or if you're opponents board presents a threat.  It could coppy an opposing blood baron which would be nice.

I completely agree, this card combined with broad stroke removal (ultimate price) on say a demon of some sort after copying it is fun.

There are some potentially interesting effects when copying obzedat or something. Lots of cool combos.

But to your point, if you are at the point that you can copy a gary, that is a fantastic win con. And being able to turn around a giant creature on a guy who is winning is great.

Anyways, I've been running this deck in my semi casual play group and I've been cleaning up nicely.
http://deckbox.org/sets/525346

Thanks for the reply!

Deck list looks nice.  If you could I'd take out the ultimate price or side them at least.  Get you another downfall, erebos, far/away, and another whip in there.

You don't have any devour flesh and I think that's a mistake too.  IDK what your group plays but your kind of dead to blood baron. 

Also, I've been thinking of thrull parasite on the side.  It helps with cards that add counters like assemble the legion and even planeswalkers.

You are very right, I have had some trouble vs bw enchantment with hex proof creatures, so devour flesh is a good call. And honestly, the reason I put four ultimate price in was because I don't have another whip, erebos, etc. And my meta is super aggro and killing their big fat green guy is very useful.

Right, i think at least devour flesh, if not copies of far/away.  in today's world far/away is a pseudo board wipe and that's something the deck is missing.