Topic: [Standard] Gruuling Effort [Input wanted]

This is my first attempt at making a Gruul deck.  The idea is to get the Elvish Mystic out T1, and then one or more Burning-Tree Emissary on T2, possibly with Signal the Clans (pulling Xenagos, God of Revels; Polukranos, World Eater; and Stormbreath Dragon {Polis Crusher if facing enchantment creatures}). T3 will be either a walker (if opponent offense is weak) or a Fanatic of Xenagos.

My deck: Gruuling Effort

If I cannot win simply on beefy creatures, I hope to use Xenagod to make them bigger and beefier. Polis Crusher  (though immune to Xenagod's ability) seems to be underrated, so I'm betting it will be useful in god-defense (and getting past defending gods).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: [Standard] Gruuling Effort [Input wanted]

having 5 xenagos in the deck seems like you might run into some issues there. But thats assuming that Legends and Planeswalkers interact on that level which Im not sure they do???

They are unique to each type, just as the original creature Nicol Bolas may be on the board next to Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. You are limited to four of any card (unless otherwise specified on the card). The planeswalker uniqueness rule won't let you keep two planeswalkers with the same subtype (i.e., name) on the board at the same time (so no two Ajani, even if one is Ajani, Caller of the Pride and the other is Ajani Vengeant), but since Xenagos, God of Revels does not share its type or subtype with Xenagos, the Reveler, both may be on the field at the same time.

Looks to be a decent build, though I think you'd be better off mana-wise with Sylvan Caryatid rather than Zhur-Taa Druid considering it can produce any color rather than just green, its hexproof, and much easier to cast with the one colorless rather than a red. Another addition I suuggest is 4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, though it may seem too much, because playing against it I personally wouldn't play less than that, and it can produce stupid amounts of mana(such as tapping one for devotion, playing another and tapping for devotion again!).

I like the Sylvan Caryatid idea, but only had one going into this build and I lent it to one of my sons. I just got a second one from the Easter Bunny, though, so I will be making a change.

So far, two Nykthos have worked for me, but I'm open to a third. Even with only two in the deck, I've managed to play and replace a couple of times.

The deck took me to second place this weekend. I came in behind one of my sons, who borrowed a white-weenie-enchantments deck I ran the week before. I definitely will tweak this one before Friday. Overall, it played very well.

Sounds like you're teaching your sons well! smile

HikingStick wrote:

I like the Sylvan Caryatid idea, but only had one going into this build and I lent it to one of my sons. I just got a second one from the Easter Bunny, though, so I will be making a change.

So far, two Nykthos have worked for me, but I'm open to a third. Even with only two in the deck, I've managed to play and replace a couple of times.

The deck took me to second place this weekend. I came in behind one of my sons, who borrowed a white-weenie-enchantments deck I ran the week before. I definitely will tweak this one before Friday. Overall, it played very well.

From the sound of it where you are your deck seems quite effective. I haven't seen a build like yours where I am because everyone's copying top tier decks at my Local game shop, myself included to a degree, but from what I see, I could see it doing pretty well.

Father and son taking over the tournaments wink