Topic: Hexproof and Damage Question

I have Wing Puncture and I am wondering if I can cast it on Sigarda, Host of Herons. I know that hexproof means the card cannot be the target of spells or abilities, but Wing Puncture does not deal damage directly to a creature, but rather picks one of my other cards to deal damage.  My logic is that the SPELL targets my own creature, who then deals damage to Sigarda. Is this wrong?

Re: Hexproof and Damage Question

You are partially correct about the meaning of hexproof.  Hexproof means that the creature/artifact/whatever cannot be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.  You, however, are free to target them all day long.  The ability that prevents a permanent from being targeted outright is shroud.

it depends on which side of the table the wing puncture is from Sigarda.  on the same side (say she is the first target doing the damage) then go ahead and target away.  If they are on opposite sides and an opponent is trying to use Wing Puncture to take out Sigarda, then the answer is no. 

the key part in wing puncture is that the first creature deals its damage to a TARGET creature.  the creature is doing the damage, but the spell is saying who gets it, which will be stopped by hexproof.

I"m going to assume that someone is trying to use wing puncture to get rid of an opposing sigarda.  You cannot use wing puncture because it specifically says target.  Sigarda cannot be the target of an opposing spell.

Xiris wrote:

I have Wing Puncture and I am wondering if I can cast it on Sigarda, Host of Herons. I know that hexproof means the card cannot be the target of spells or abilities, but Wing Puncture does not deal damage directly to a creature, but rather picks one of my other cards to deal damage.  My logic is that the SPELL targets my own creature, who then deals damage to Sigarda. Is this wrong?

Your spell actually targets both creatures.  It has the word "target" twice.  If Sigarda was the only flying creature on the board you wouldn't be able to cast Wing Puncture at all. 

Another example of this situation would be protection.  Say I have Domri Rade in play with 5 Loyalty Counters and I also have an Elvish Mystic in play and it is my 1st main phase.  My opponent landed a Master of Waves during his last turn with a total of 6 devotion so he has 6 2/1 elementals that are going to start causing me major problems, so obviously I want to kill Master of Waves at nearly any cost. 

Domri Rade has a -2 loyalty ability that reads: Target creature you control fights another target creature. (Meaning both creatures deal damage equal to their power to each other). 

Elvish Mystic has 1 Power and Master of Waves only has 1 Toughness!  We're in business!  Wait Master of Waves has protection from red, but Elvish Mystic is green so we're good right?  Elvish Mystic would have no problem dealing 1 damage to Master of Waves, however it is Domri Rade's ability that needs to target the Master, Domri is red, making this a no go. 

Now let's say that instead of being the clever tactician that he is, Domri Rade was a chaotic Planeswalker and his -2 Loyalty ability read like this instead: Target creature you control fights another creature selected at random. 

Now we have a 1 in X shot of having our Mystic fight the Master, not very good odds with all those other tokens and any other creatures our opponent has (not to mention any other creatures I might have) but because Domri's ability is no longer targeting the Master, if the Master is selected at random the Mystic and the Master will deal lethal damage to each other.

I hope this helped.