Re: Site-wide card pricing changes

Helios52 wrote:

I cant help but feel as though your sports analogy also speaks to us true Buffalo Sabres fans as well...

Yesterday I put my name on the Blue & Gold list for 2 season tickets!  Guess what type of fan I am!

For Chrome users: go get the app AutocardAnywhere. It links directly to the card page on TCG for quick price referencing.

Kammikaze wrote:

For Chrome users: go get the app AutocardAnywhere. It links directly to the card page on TCG for quick price referencing.

I came here to post this. For a very long time, gmail and deckbox were the two sites where I had autocard anywhere disabled, but I've re-enabled it on deckbox.

I'd also like to add that it should theoretically be possible to have a chrome extension which automatically updates the prices of cards involved in trades. The price info requests would come from the user's computer, not Deckbox, and would likely skirt around the legal issues at hand. Writing something like that is beyond my paltry web dev skills, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway.

It's going to be a messy period while trying to establish deckbox-based pricing, but there is no reason it can't happen.

To be honest, I'm surprised at the number of people who were relying directly on TCGPlayer prices blindly for their trades or sales. They provided multiple data points in the form of low, mid, and high, and there were often large discrepancies between the reliability of these prices, especially for small-value cards.

All it takes for deckbox to get its own pricing system in place is a bit of sales data. Sellers should be pricing cards at their own prices, based on what they want to receive for their card (whether they prefer to get this information based on other retail sites, tcgplayer, ebay, amazon, their LGS, etc is up to them). Over time more sellers will have more cards available, and more sales will occur. In order to provide maximum pricing data to buyers and traders, deckbox would do well to include any of the following data:

- Most recent sold price
- Average sold price (last [1/7/30] days)
- Volume sold in last [1/7/30] days
- Lowest sold price in last [] days
- Highest sold price in last [] days
- Average volume available on deckbox marketplace in last [] days

With even a small volume of transactions on any individual card, with enough of these types of data points, it is easy to see a ballpark for what people are willing to pay for a card, and that range will get more precise over time.

http://blacklotusgo.com

Accepting and paying bitcoin through the buylist!

I'm going to ask a very blunt question here.  How well has the marketplace been performing?  Has it been better than google adsense ad + TCGplayer API referrals for you guys?  I understand it is in the infant stages.  Obviously, you don't have to disclose any of this with me, I'm just curious to hear how well it is performing to make this worth it all.

Paul_K wrote:
Helios52 wrote:

I cant help but feel as though your sports analogy also speaks to us true Buffalo Sabres fans as well...

Yesterday I put my name on the Blue & Gold list for 2 season tickets!  Guess what type of fan I am!

The kind with money, who realizes the best time to get in for season tickets is when the team stinks...

Also, I'm sorry nobody warned you properly about Sacco's effect on an organization.

Edit: In regards to the actual thread - I can see why tcgplayer did this. I'm sure they get a lot of traffic with zero benefit from here, and now it's essentially a competing site.

Hopefully the price data here will be useful again soon. I've spent way too much time entering cards.

Last edited by asmodeanreborn (2014-04-02 17:48:39)

If you have ever traded on high end MTG stuff facebook group or MTG Salvation then this shouldn't be an issue for most users. It really only takes a minute to find prices, and it is a pain but there are large communities that still do this.

What about trying to go off of star city games web page? They would compare to TCG

AKCornwell wrote:

What about trying to go off of star city games web page? They would compare to TCG

That presents the same issue as with TCG. Deckbox is/will be a direct competitor for SCG so they would deny any access to their API in the same way that TCG did.

Kammikaze wrote:
AKCornwell wrote:

That presents the same issue as with TCG. Deckbox is/will be a direct competitor for SCG so they would deny any access to their API in the same way that TCG did.

Indeed. Also, SCG is notorious for not sharing their pricing information.

Kammikaze wrote:
AKCornwell wrote:

Very good point..  Didn't look at it like that.

buughost wrote:

Is this because you guys explicitly added a market/sales functionality? If so... Get rid of it. I feel like your primary user base is traders not sellers (though I could be wrong). Maybe you should do some research or poll your active user base. I've sold stuff here occasionally, but I'd rather have TCG pricing integrated rather than a specific sales function.

This sums up what I feel pretty well. I use Deckbox for trades and TCGPlayer/LFGS for purchases. I have no interest in combining the two into one site if the end result is worse for trades because the key feature that made bulk trading and trading in general convenient on Deckbox is removed and worse for purchases because the market isn't as competitive due to the lower amount of sellers.

I can't imagine there isn't a better solution to monetizing the site than the market. I understand the need to monetize, but why would you think it would be successful if in the process you alienate a good portion of the user base you've been building for six years?

Anyway, I haven't been here long enough or done enough trades that my opinion carries much weight. I will say the reason I switched to Deckbox from other trading sites was how easy it was to balance a trade. I think with that gone and this new farce of a pricing system I'm going to put trades on hold for a bit. Hopefully you guys come to your senses and figure out a better solution.

Last edited by clockworkcactus (2014-04-02 19:35:40)

clockworkcactus wrote:

I can't imagine there isn't a better solution to monetizing the site than the market. I understand the need to monetize, but why would you think it would be successful if in the process you alienate a good portion of the user base you've been building for six years?

Hopefully you guys come to your senses and figure out a better solution.

Read the previous posts from the developers:

1.  no market feature = no funds = no deckbox new updates.  If you want the site to continue, you have to get through this growing pain.

2. The toothpaste is out of the tube.  Even if the market feature was eliminated, TCGplayer has blocked its API for future use.

3. This API problem was inevitable.

Timber wrote:
clockworkcactus wrote:

Hopefully you guys come to your senses and figure out a better solution.

1.  no market feature = no funds = no deckbox new updates.  If you want the site to continue, you have to get through this growing pain.

2. The toothpaste is out of the tube.  Even if the market feature was eliminated, TCGplayer has blocked its API for future use.

1. You may be willing to accept that the market feature was the only way to monetize the site, but I'm willing to bet that you're in a very small minority among the users here.

2. You have absolutely zero way of knowing this. TCG Player is a large business. If you think TCG Player wouldn't again allow a site as heavily trafficked as Deckbox to resume driving business to them if Deckbox removed themselves as competition then I don't know what to tell you.

3. I'm not even sure what to make of this. It's a very blunt statement with nothing backing it up and it stands against common sense. The API problem came about because Deckbox thought, for some reason, that if they started competing against TCG Player that TCG Player would continue to allow them to use their pricing data.

Timber wrote:

This is a cop-out in my opinion, there are plenty of ways to monetize, I for one would be glad to pay $10 a month for the service. I can't believe you guys didn't explore other options before announcing the market. Especially if you knew TCG would be upset and you broke some sort of non-compete. This part is your fault.

However I also disagree, clearly from my emphatic post above, about how TCG handled it. Just pulling the plug is not a good solution either. It seems to me to be deliberate ie an intentional move to hurt deckbox, instead of giving some transition time, and some leniency which would be the better solution, and have been just as easy to do.

Instead it just makes the case for me. TCG is known for 'making an example' out of people that make mistakes, and then never giving them another chance. All it does is create all of this public nonsense from non-communication, disdain for the whole service, and make users and customers unhappy; instead of having some decency to communicate and work it out privately.

It also creates a sore attitude about how the leaders of tcgplayer run their business, if they treat other people and hard working companies like this, who it seems in all attempts was trying to be thankful and appreciative, and professional. So much for customer service.

I am still a supporter of deckbox and I will continue to be. Even though I am disgusted at the whole thing.

Thank you

Last edited by P9CO (2014-04-02 21:57:32)

> http://deckbox.org/users/P9CO

H: Tradelist | W: Standard cards on my wishlist
- The higher number on my want list the more I want it!

Timber wrote:

Yes, that is what the developers are saying. They have stated that they looked into everything and the Marketplace was the only way to sustain the site. But it's hard to just accept that with the limited knowledge we as users have of their business. Per the Deckbox Trade Index:

"15036 users playing Magic the Gathering have logged in the last 2 months."

If Deckbox was a subscription based service and even 1/3 of those users actually paid for the service at $2 a month, that's $10k.

That looks pretty sustainable and decent for a part time business, but there are plenty of factors involved I know nothing about so my view is limited. I, by no means, fault them for wanting to make the website sustainable financially and make a profit off of their work. They definitely deserve it. Personally, I would just much rather pay a few dollars a month for the trading service than have the Marketplace.

clockworkcactus wrote:

The API problem came about because Deckbox thought, for some reason, that if they started competing against TCG Player that TCG Player would continue to allow them to use their pricing data.

If my understanding is correct, the Deckbox team never expected TCG to ignore them if they started competing with them. They simply thought they'd have a little time to use the TCG API to get they're own pricing data going.

I've only recently become active on this site and it's been an awesome experience so far!  The fact that this issue came up is unfortunate but I trust that you will find a solution, it might just take some time. 

I personally will keep my account active and trade based on an agreed upon 3rd party site (e.g. one I buy cards from) and just look up values the way I do trades with friends and at the shop - that isn't a deal breaker for me!  It means a little copy and paste and a couple more messages in trade.  Though I can totally empathize with all the folks that are reactively putting their account on hiatus, I do think it's a little too soon.

I also understand the need to monetize the site.  This is a fact of life for every website/program and their users once it develops.  I think you actually went a very fair route by offering a new service rather than phasing out the existing trade system or forcing people to pay to trade.

I think the one suggestion I have that I think there is a reasonable consensus on is that some advance communication with the user base about the upcoming changes would have been appreciated.  Sure things happen on a tight schedule, but some notice is better than none.  This would also have given you an opportunity to get the buy in of your users by pitching the benefits of the change or its necessity.

~Tigerballs!

Last edited by Tigerballs (2014-04-02 22:15:25)

So why not just scrape the TCGPlayer prices without using their API? Then go to the EFF if the legal threats continue and try to set a precedent corroborating Padmapper vs. Ebay. Or go down fighting, at least. It's shitty that sites think they can get away with stuff like this.

Okay, I know that's not a reasonable thing to ask but the price information *needs* to be fixed soon. I'll be curious to see what's in the works.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-04-02 23:13:49)

This is incredibly disappointing.  I used Deckbox daily to track actual market prices, of which TCGPlayer is the primary index.  Sadly, I will no longer have a use for Deckbox.  Other sites display TCG prices, so I will go there, at least until if/when they stop using TCG prices as well.

So long, Deckbox.  It's been a great ride.

sebi wrote:
buughost wrote:

You were doing one thing really well. Why compromise that in order to add half-baked functionality as well as diminish your ability to fulfill your original goal. I would strongly suggest polling your audience before making such huge decisions on their behalf. I understand you're the product owner, but you also don't want to leave your user-base feeling abandoned. I'm speaking not only as a user of the system, but as a UX/Usability professional.

Because we would have had to completely shut the website down in absence of a monetization strategy.

Many of us have said--many times--that we would PAY to use Deckbox--the Deckbox we've grown to love.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Razing_Zozo wrote:

What resources would be required to write your own code? If you can rally your loyal DeckBox followers, perhaps a crowd-funding campaign is in order? An influx of startup cash to solve these issues and launch Deckbox into a self-sustaining future. Do it now, while the coal is hot, turn our attention to a new goal.

You have a business model your confident will work, We are your #1 resource, harness the awesome power!

Go The Distance! If you Build it, they will come...

Kickstarter, anyone?

In the interim, would it be difficult to add additional fields in the trade interface that would let members manually enter/modify prices for each trade item? That way, at least both sides would have record of the proposed price (looked up manually from a third party site) in the trade window.

Best regards moving forward, Sebi.  I just got my insurance agent to accept my Deckbox inventory as the official record of my inventory, and the official record of its value.  I hope you can step away from the forums soon, so you may focus on what needs to get done.

I know some of the members of this community have volunteered their coding skills in the past. Perhaps it is time to consider some of those offers (with each volunteer agreeing that all code created for Deckbox will belong to Deckbox).

JustScott wrote:

This is incredibly disappointing.  I used Deckbox daily to track actual market prices, of which TCGPlayer is the primary index.  Sadly, I will no longer have a use for Deckbox.  Other sites display TCG prices, so I will go there, at least until if/when they stop using TCG prices as well.

So long, Deckbox.  It's been a great ride.

Don't give up so quickly. All significant changes take time.

9700377 wrote:

So why not just scrape the TCGPlayer prices without using their API?

Here's a link to such an API that scrapes TCG. Please note I did not create this and have no affiliation with this. This is simply an informative post.

https://github.com/bedoherty/MagicTCGPriceAPI

You could hypothetically copy this to your own github account and let google manage the process. If TCG wants to disallow it they will have to block google.

cheers.

Last edited by P9CO (2014-04-03 01:13:01)

> http://deckbox.org/users/P9CO

H: Tradelist | W: Standard cards on my wishlist
- The higher number on my want list the more I want it!