Topic: [Opinion] Izzet Steampunk

Steampunk! Goggles and steam and contraptions….Wurmcoil Engine is steam powered, right?? Usually when I try to stay with a certain thematic synergy it fails me for various reasons. But this one…could this be competitive? If not, how would you fix it? Don't worry about hurting my feelings just lay lay it down I can take it I try to find value in every comment. 
http://deckbox.org/sets/699330
The idea is pretty simple, Wee Dragonauts and Nivix Cyclops get pumped by instants and sorceries and then Wurmcoil Engine stomps a mudhole in the opponent's derrière.

Other cards that I've found would fit the theme:
Chronomaton
Gitaxian Probe
Cobbled Wings
Frostburn Weird
Illusionist's Bracers
Izzet Guildmage
Ratchet Bomb
Sundial of the Infinite
Cunning Sparkmage
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Lightning Talons
Turn // Burn
Chandra's Outrage
Blast of Genius
Darksteel Forge

Last edited by xMatch (2014-06-05 22:21:29)

Re: [Opinion] Izzet Steampunk

I just bought my 4 Wurmcoil Engines for this deck, would really love a little feedback on it if anyone felt like throwing some this way. smile

It looks fine. Theres some similar decks out there that spam stuff into Kiln Fiend/Niv Magus Elemental to win.

Im not sure Wurmcoil fits the deck game play wise but thematically its good. And Wurmcoil is such a generally good card that It wont terribly hurt the deck.

Armed and Dangerous is weak in theme and just alright in game play. Assault Strobe has some steam Punky zombies in the art at least and is cheaper so its easier to work with Quicken.

I'd also drop Tome Scour for something that is productive to the game plan, Even Thoughtscore would at least Cantrip!

Gitaxian Probe would probably fit the Tome Scout slot the best. Remember at some point the idea with this deck is just to spam down some spells and swing for the fences so cantripy things are your friend! Likewise Grapeshot could be a fun one of given that you're trying to spam spells anyway.

With Gitaxian Probe, what do you do with the card you draw from their hand? Do you add it to your hand and play it? Do you pay the mana cost? I can't find an answer.

And I agree with every other recommendation you made. I was iffy about Tome Scour, too. Grapeshot is a new card to me but I really like the look of it in this deck. Armed//Dangerous was just going to be Armed here, but I get your point, and it is one of the only cards that I picked that didn't fit the theme. Other than Mizzium Mortars. But what could I cut Mizz for? I could cut it and add more Chandra, Pyromaster I guess. But thanks for looking at it, this is a big help.

Last edited by xMatch (2014-06-07 13:20:45)

xMatch wrote:

With Gitaxian Probe, what do you do with the card you draw from their hand? Do you add it to your hand and play it? Do you pay the mana cost? I can't find an answer.

And I agree with every other recommendation you made. I was iffy about Tome Scour, too. Grapeshot is a new card to me but I really like the look of it in this deck. Armed//Dangerous was just going to be Armed here, but I get your point, and it is one of the only cards that I picked that didn't fit the theme. Other than Mizzium Mortars. But what could I cut Mizz for? I could cut it and add more Chandra, Pyromaster I guess. But thanks for looking at it, this is a big help.

I think MIzzium mortars fits, they're clearly some sort of Steam Punky Cannony thing being fired thats reasonable.

I'd slot in more Card Draw over MOrtars I suppose. Serum Visions, Ponder, Preordain, Braintstorm. Something like that.

Gitaxian Probe doesnt draw a card from their hand. You just look at their hand then draw a card from your deck.

Ah well that makes sense.

What do you think about Epic Experiment? It looks like it could develop into a pretty kickass combo with the rest of this deck.

As a one off perhaps.