Topic: Trade Etiquette

Hey guys, I wanted to bring up an issue with trade etiquette that I've experienced quite a bit here. While most of you are great about communicating and easy to work with, there are a few things that certain people do that leave a sour taste in my mouth.

The first thing is lack of communication. If I start a trade with you, I expect to hear when you're planning on shipping if its been a few days, and updates on other things. If we agree to checking if we have the cards later in the evening and getting back to each other, it shouldn't take 3-4 days, both of us have things going on in real life and other potential traders online that we have to turn down because our cards are tied up for week(s).

My second point goes along with the first a little bit, and actually all of these have to do with communication. When I start a trade with you, I will have read your bio that includes you policies, you should do the same (if I have one) and if I followed your guidelines, RESPOND TO MY TRADE, don't just blow it off and delete it if I comply by all of your "rules", i.e. trading 40 $1 for a bonfire or wasteland when you state you only want higher value for higher value. Is it really so hard to put: "Sorry, those are low priority currently, I'm looking for other cards", or "Can I trade something else on my end, I only want to trade my Ajani to get a Cavern of Souls."

Third, when you ask me to use delivery confirmation or a bubble mailer, you better use one yourself. It's not fair for you to ask me to spend $3 more on my shipment than you because you're being picky. If you have a preference about mailing, make sure you talk to your trader about it. If you're new and unsure about what to do, ask! No one is going to bite your head off for asking.

I left off names of whom I had these problems with and will keep it that way, unless everyone thinks it would be good to post who they've had bad experiences with.

TL;DR: Don't be a dick, and talk to those who are trying to trade with you.

Re: Trade Etiquette

Totally agree!!!

Coyote1023 wrote:

RESPOND TO MY TRADE, don't just blow it off

I'm new here and this is what has bothered me the most. If I don't know why the trade doesn't work for you, how am I going to know what would work? I'll probably just never bother trying to trade with you ever again.

Thanks for posting this, good to read and good to emphasise for everyone.

ShoePolice wrote:
Coyote1023 wrote:

I'm new here and this is what has bothered me the most. If I don't know why the trade doesn't work for you, how am I going to know what would work? I'll probably just never bother trying to trade with you ever again.

A few tips, since you're new. I like to add a sentence in the chat box when I propose a trade to start communication. Besides that, ALWAYS make sure you read their profile. It's very important. I know it's sad that many people won't trade with new guys, but it's true that trades get canceled a lot just because of your 0 rep.

EDIT: Also, make sure to look at the versions of your cards. Currently archangel and serra angel are worth 1/3 of their deckbox price in their current printings are.

Last edited by Coyote1023 (2012-08-17 18:07:42)

ShoePolice wrote:
Coyote1023 wrote:

Make sure to mouse over the little icon next to the person's name, it'll show when the person last logged in.  I have had to cancel a lot of trades because the person hasn't logged in for a month+.

Nighthawk wrote:

Make sure to mouse over the little icon next to the person's name, it'll show when the person last logged in.  I have had to cancel a lot of trades because the person hasn't logged in for a month+.

Woah. I normally just guessed based on their previous completed trades, but this is way better.

Coyote1023 wrote:

I like to add a sentence in the chat box when I propose a trade to start communication.

Yeah, I always try to start with a chat. Thanks for the tips

The flip side of this is an issue as well. Nothing annoys me more than when I go on vacation or I'm away for the weekend and I come back to find people angry I never responded to their trade.

Not everybody logs onto deckbox.org every day. People don't have any obligation to respond to your trade immediately. It is fully possible that their Grandma just died and they don't want to think about Magic or, God forbid, they're just too darn busy to trade cards right now. Maybe they're just mulling over the trade!

People have the right to remain silent in real life, they damn well better have it on the freakin' internet.

Farodsbro wrote:

The flip side of this is an issue as well. Nothing annoys me more than when I go on vacation or I'm away for the weekend and I come back to find people angry I never responded to their trade.

Not everybody logs onto deckbox.org every day. People don't have any obligation to respond to your trade immediately. It is fully possible that their Grandma just died and they don't want to think about Magic or, God forbid, they're just too darn busy to trade cards right now. Maybe they're just mulling over the trade!

People have the right to remain silent in real life, they damn well better have it on the freakin' internet.

Yep, I'll agree with you there, as long as you let the people you've already responded and talked to know that you'll be gone for a week or something. You could also edit it into your profile like many people do "I'm on vacation, please no trades." Now the grandmother one, I completely understand. If you get a chance, let your current traders know, if not, explain it to them afterwards.

Coyote1023 wrote:
Farodsbro wrote:

Yep, I'll agree with you there, as long as you let the people you've already responded and talked to know that you'll be gone for a week or something. You could also edit it into your profile like many people do "I'm on vacation, please no trades." Now the grandmother one, I completely understand. If you get a chance, let your current traders know, if not, explain it to them afterwards.

I used to play a lot of chess on Chess.com, and they had a vacation feature that let you check a box in your profile if you were going to be away.  That's probably a worthwhile feature request here.  Check the box, and all potential trading partners will get an alert that advises them you are on vacation or away.  I will write up a feature request.  Feel free to chime in once it is posted.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.