Topic: [Feature Request] Masterpieces and foil status

The problem: Some people have masterpieces for trade as non-foil.  Other people have masterpieces for trade as foil.

Some people have masterpieces on their wishlist as non-foil.  Other people have masterpieces on their wish list as foil.

The system does not automatch the two.  That makes it difficult to figure out who has what you want, or who wants what you have.

This happens also with planeswalker deck planeswalkers, which only exist as foils.

Possible solution #1: Change the site so it doesn't allow non-foil as an option for these cards.  If someone puts it on their trade list or wish list, it's automatically set to foil.

Possible solution #2: Automatch the foil and non-foil versions, so if someone has a non-foil version on their wishlist, people with a foil version on their tradelist will show up as matches, and vice versa.

Re: [Feature Request] Masterpieces and foil status

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I first noticed it with the FTV series -- they should be auto-foil.

I feel like solution #2 is more of a "patch job", and it would better in the long run to fix the core issue (solution #1).

That said, there's no reason both things couldn't be implemented, ultimately. It would probably be a useful Wishlist setting -- choose whether to use "Strict mode" for foiling, which is already possible with "Edition" by simply not setting an edition when you add a card to your wishlist.

If we had both, then you could have one be strict and one not, e.g. "I don't care what edition it's from, just as long as it's nonfoil" or "I don't care if it's foil or not, just as long as it's from this edition with the artwork I love". You could also not care about either, or be very specific about both.

But regardless, the main thing is that it doesn't make sense to be able to add a nonfoil FTV or what have you (and conversely, many cards have no foil counterpart).

Anyone know if this is being worked on?

It's pretty frustrating to make a good-faith suggestion and never find out if the developers even heard it.

This is now a problem for Firesong and Sunspeaker, too.

Is this something that is going to be addressed?  Is it even on the radar?

It's super frustrating because it creates twice as much work for all of these cards:  adding them twice to a person's want list in order to guarantee trade-matching (which also ends up making the want list look confusing to other people viewing it), searching twice on the Trade Opportunities screen, deleting the doubles after you trade for it, etc.

It affects so many types of promos:
Buy-a-box
League promos
Open House promos
Game Day promos
Intro deck promos
Clash pack promos
Judge promos
Standard showdown promos
Masterpieces
Prerelease cards
Planeswalker deck planeswalkers
FTV cards
FNM cards
etc.

as far as i know it's a difficult problem to resolve because it adds new dependencies and links two concepts that are currently not implemented

for the time being i tend to solve this setting a promo and a second entry with *foil* in my wishlist as a workaround