Topic: List of card in my decks that are not in my inventory

Is there a way to see the cards that I have in my decks, but are not in my inventory? Without having to go to each deck individually?

Re: List of card in my decks that are not in my inventory

jeacaveo wrote:

Is there a way to see the cards that I have in my decks, but are not in my inventory? Without having to go to each deck individually?

Not directly (that I know of). I have a clunky workaround that I use, though.

It's very easy to export deck lists. So let's say I'm trying to collect all the cards for a 14 deck battle box (which is, in fact, true). I export all 14 lists to a text file. I get rid of the word word "sideboard:" everywhere. Then I import the complete list into a new deck I call, say, "All 14 decks."

Sounds cumbersome, but it takes around 10-15 minutes which isn't too bad - and then it will update as you buy more cards.

The only problem is if you make any changes to any of the decks before you're done collecting. I did make a few minor changes at one point so I had to make a new "All 14 decks" list.

jeacaveo wrote:

See if the attached Excel file helps you at all. Not as ideal as a native method, to be sure! But it eases things a bit.

INSTRUCTIONS

Initial Setup

1. For any decks you currently have on Dropbox, go to Tools > Export to CSV.

2. Open the attached Deck Checker workbook, then create a new worksheet for each deck (supports up to 20, with a max of 100 unique cards per deck).

3. Make sure you right-click each worksheet tab and rename it to match whatever name you put in the "Deck Names" area. I have example decks so you can get the idea. (And you'll get red error formatting if one of the names doesn't match!)

• Important: The workbook currently doesn't support non-alphanumeric characters in the deck / sheet names. (This could be easily changed if anybody cares.)

4. Copy and paste the data from the Deck CSV files you exported in Step 1 into their corresponding worksheets.

5. If you switch back to the "ALL" worksheet, you should be able to see an alphabetized and consolidated list of all cards needed for all decks.

Usage

1. Export your entire Inventory to CSV, and rename it to something easy to type (like just "Inventory"). DON'T alter the file.

• You don't necessarily have to do this every time, just whenever you need an updated Inventory CSV on your computer.

2. Have the Inventory open at the same time as the Deck Checker, and on the "Missing Cards" worksheet, type the name of the Inventory file into the designated cell (NO .csv ending).

3. That's it! Depending on how much data is in your inventory file, the response might be a little sluggish, but you'll see a list populate with any missing cards. The "H" column stands for "Have", "W" is "Want", and the third column "Need" is the important number -- how many of the card you actually need to buy.

Updating Decks

There's no need to export a CSV file for a deck each time you change it. Just go to that deck's worksheet and alter the card names and quantities yourself. (It doesn't matter if there's blank lines between cards.)

If you ever decide to build a new deck, just get its name added to the Deck Names area, get a worksheet created, and either manually enter in the cards into the sheet, or you can export a CSV from DeckBox again.

Post's attachments

Deck Checker.xlsx 347.9 kb, 9 downloads since 2018-02-22 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2settlerjoe, that's the approach I've been taking and I encountered the same problem with keeping everything in sync. Thanks for the reply!

medon44, thanks for the suggestion, but it's too much work for what I want to do. Thanks anyways.

jeacaveo wrote:

it's too much work for what I want to do. Thanks anyways.

Hey, no problem! I already had the file created for myself, so I figured I'd share it. (The only work on my part was to type out detailed instructions. LoL)

And to each his own! Honestly, the way you and settlerjoe are doing it sounds like way more work to me. Cuz now that I have all my decks in that Deck Checker, if I make a change to a deck, I just update both the Deck Checker and Deckbox decks (like 30 seconds total). And I've always exported a CSV of my inventory anyways for backup if I make a change to it, so that doesn't take any *extra* time for this Excel-based approach (but even if you're not already doing that, again, takes like 30 seconds, if that). And then all I have to do to see a list of cards I'm missing is to open Deck Checker and my latest Inventory CSV. It's an always up-to-date list of missing cards, with none of the hassle that you and settlerjoe describe.

And adding / removing a deck is super easy and fast. None of that making changes to an "All 14 decks" deck.  :\

You could always give it a shot! You never know. You might like it.

(And now I suddenly have Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" in my head. LoL!)

jeacaveo wrote:

Has anyone been able to figure out an easier way to do this than what I listed earlier in this thread? I have a folder with 23 Pauper decks that I constantly tinker with. Every 6 months or so I combine all the decks together into one massive deck so I can more easily see which cards I'm missing. This takes about 20-30 minutes of my time, and then it gradually gets out of date.

meldon44 listed a method he uses but I'm hoping for something even easier than that.

Sebi - the ultimate feature around this is being able to opposite click a folder and it would give you a menu choice for displaying all the missing cards among all decks in that folder.  Or integrating this into the search functionality. Or whatever - just some way to get to this list with 2-3 clicks.

Last edited by settlerjoe (2018-10-12 13:57:18)

settlerjoe wrote:

This takes about 20-30 minutes of my time, and then it gradually gets out of date.

meldon44 listed a method he uses but I'm hoping for something even easier than that.

Did you give the Deck Checker a shot? I'm not sure what would be even easier, other than a native feature developed by Sebi.

You said changing decks requires 20-30 minutes of your time -- my method takes mere seconds to make a single change to a deck.

- Making changes to 5 of your pauper decks? Open both Deckbox and the Deck Checker, and change quantities or card names in both. (So a few more seconds per tweaked card than a native method.) And then your list of "cards to buy" is instantly up-to-date and easily viewable.

- Added a bunch of your cards to your inventory? Export a CSV of it anywhere on your computer.

- Want to see that list of missing cards because you're about to go to the card store? Open the inventory CSV and Deck Checker simultaneously, and the list populates for you. Copy and paste the list into Word and print off your list. Doing that takes hardly any longer than clicking on a link in Deckbox would.

So the ONLY extra work at this point is having to export your inventory each time you change it (which is smart to do anyways), and having to type a card name / quantity twice instead of once any time you change a deck.

Give my method a shot! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is.  smile

Last edited by meldon44 (2018-10-15 02:01:36)

meldon44 wrote:

Did you give the Deck Checker a shot? I'm not sure what would be even easier, other than a native feature developed by Sebi.
Give my method a shot! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is.  smile

Haven't yet tried it. You mentioned a 20 deck limit . . . I'm up to 24 Pauper decks so far and figure to sail past 30 within a few months. All for about the cost of one high end Modern deck :-)