Topic: Pioneer, Modern, other format validity, pricing fixes

The adding of Pioneer and Modern has suddenly pushed some cleanups of the format validity handling to the top of the todo list, so today's update contains changes and improvements in those areas. The former "Variant" property of decks is now removed, there is only a "Format", that is not auto-detected as before when adding cards, but it is set directly by the user. The legality of cards in the deck are checked based on that format.

I have added the current legal sets, banlists and restricted lists for: Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, Brawl, Pioneer, Tiny Leaders, Singleton, Historic, Pauper, and Oathbreaker. The other formats listed as choosable do not have banlists or restricted lists and simply list all cards as legal for now.

Due to various changes and adaptations of previous data there might be bugs with all this and inconsistencies. I am rechecking things, but as always, feedback and reports of encountered issues are much appreciated.

With the change the format chooser also became available to all free accounts as well, whereas before only premium users could chose what was called a "variant".

Other recent changes:
* Fixed ELD lands counting as "0 cmc" in deck mana curve graphs
* Fixed pricing information for Japanese Alternate Art cards not showing up properly
* Fixed Signature Spellbook editions not showing foil pricing
* Fixed some more of the foreign bb/wb card prices
* Fixed prices on FNM double sided tokens
* Fixed prices on HASCON promos
* Fixed prices for Hour of Devastation tokens
* Fixed pricing on a couple of Buy-A-Box promos
* Fixed pricing on some Super Series promos

Re: Pioneer, Modern, other format validity, pricing fixes

I'm thinking also of adding an "invalid deck" indicator in the left menu deck listing, to quickly see the decks that are not valid in the chosen format. Perhaps as a toggle-able option in Settings...

Thanks a lot and great job as always ! As an Oathbreaker player (and new Pioneer one), those changes are much appreciated.

I understand that it would not be a simple change, but is it planned to allow the specification of the Signature Spell for Oathbreaker decks ?

Here's a couple of bugs I have noticed :
- I cannot set Liliana of the Veil as my Oathbreaker.
- Tranquil Thicket and Nurturing Peatland should not be marked as illegal in Modern.
- Wastes should not be limited to 1 in Oathbreaker, since it is a basic land.
-  Pithing Needle (RTR), Scavenging Ooze (M14), Abrupt Decay (RTR) and Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) should not be marked as illegal in Pioneer.

Thanks again !

P.S. The "invalid deck" indicator in the left menu deck listing is a great idea !

Can we get Commander to have a unique color please?  Standard and Commander are too close together for the color to be easily differentiated.

As always thank you for this.

Modern Horizon cards are showing up as not legal in Modern and a am getting errors that Abrupt Decay and Murderous Rider // Swift End are not legal in Pioneer.

Good updates!

Brawl legality doesn't seem to be working. When I set a deck to Brawl format & choose a commander, a ton of random Standard-legal cards still show up as being invalid (including basic lands, amusingly!).

Last edited by Elseleth (2019-10-29 16:41:21)

This is really great and I was just thinking of this as I was adding another Pauper deck. Pauper is a bit complex because it often uses MTGO for card evaluation and on MTGO several key cards in pauper have been changed from Rare/Uncommon to Common. IE: Chainer's Edict, Battle Screech. It is making my decklists invalid. Is there any thought on this oddity about pauper. This is recognized by WOTC (https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a … 2019-06-27).

"The definition of Pauper legality is expanding to include any card with a common printing in any paper or digital set. If the card is listed as a common on Gatherer from any set, it is legal in Pauper. This will add cards to the format that were not previously legal on Magic Online."

This means cards that are ever common digital or paper are accepted with the exception of the Pauper Banlist.

Arcum's Astrolabe
Cloud of Faeries
Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Daze
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Gitaxian Probe
Grapeshot
Gush
Invigorate
Peregrine Drake
Temporal Fissure
Treasure Cruise
High Tide
Hymn to Tourach
Sinkhole

If you want I can assist with a list of cards that are common in digital but only uncommon/rare in paper. I'm also a developer if you need a larger team.

Elseleth wrote:

Good updates!

Brawl legality doesn't seem to be working. When I set a deck to Brawl format & choose a commander, a ton of random Standard-legal cards still show up as being invalid (including basic lands, amusingly!).

The same happens for Oathbreaker. I cannot select Chandra, Torch of Defiance for example.

It would also be nice to include the Oathbreaker spell but I'm sure that is a bit extra since it would require an additional field.

Thanks for staying on top of it Sebi.

RE: "Fixed ELD lands counting as "0 cmc" in deck mana curve graphs".. noticed that yesterday, glad it got fixed up as that was a puzzler. hmm

PROFILETradelistWishlist

Great changes! Are the Ponies: the Galloping cards going to be added? It seems like the kind of thing that's easy to have slip through the cracks.

Elseleth wrote:

Good updates!

Same for me as well.  It's saying Throne cards aren't legal lol

It seems basic lands are still showing as 0CMC (default basics are C19 for me, so it is probably an issue with those specifically).

Any chance of getting the foil double-sided tokens from Throne of Eldraine collector boosters added too?

The bug with basic lands and Command Tower counting as CMC 0 is not fixed.

Last edited by ArtosKincaid (2019-10-30 14:00:08)

Khans fetchlands do show up as banned in the card page for pioneer, but they also show up in the inventory when you filter for format=pioneer.

Can we get the prices on all of the Urza lands fixed? The chronicles and antiquities versions have been incorrect for years.

The Basic Lands still show up under 0 mana cost in the curve for my decks.  Ive had to change them to Snow-Covered Basics to get rid of the problem for now.

eternallostboy0425 wrote:

The Basic Lands still show up under 0 mana cost in the curve for my decks.  Ive had to change them to Snow-Covered Basics to get rid of the problem for now.

ditto

PROFILETradelistWishlist

I am still seeing a issue with card validity in decks. For instance my one phoenix deck should be modern, but was set to legacy. When I set it back it is telling me the following cards are not modern legal even though they are (unless there was some extreme change I missed). They all come from Modern Horizons and ELD:

Magmatic Sinkhole, Fiery Islet, Aria of Flame, Force of Negation, Shenanigans, The Royal Scions

Per this link, M14 should be Pioneer legal. It looks like the few old Standard decks I still have from Return to Ravnica & Theros blocks are currently flagging all the M14 cards as invalid for Pioneer.

This is the feature I have most hoped for for all the years I've been using Deckbox. Thank you !!!

To echo mlndb10wN, Pauper unifies online and offline so it would be great if you could figure out a way to code it so that (except for banned cards), both online and paper commons count as legal. mlndb10wN already listed some common Pauper format staples that cause decks to be marked as invalid Pauper decks, but hopefully WotC provides a data feed for you to do this programmatically rather than card by card.

Again - thank you!