Topic: Maintenance downtime

Some problems occurred with a major mysql upgrade today causing close to 2 hours of downtime, sorry about the inconvenience.

I'm still investigating potential issues, please let me know if you notice slow pages or any other new bugs.

Last edited by sebi (2021-07-12 19:19:10)

Re: Maintenance downtime

Thanks, Sebi.

I do have a question about the backlog of additions (e.g. MH2 Prerelease Promos, MH2 Art Cards, MH2 Double-Sided Tokens, Strixhaven DFC Helper Cards, Kaldheim DFC Helper Cards,...) as well as the Etched Foil solution.

Do you have an update for us on these? Also, can you help us understand why there have been such delays in adding cards? I've seen some low-level grumbling on the forums, and some proactive communication may help.

If you can share your plan for when AFR cards will be added, too, that will also help.

Thank you.

I'm trying to get up to date. There were a lot of backend updates for both the webapp framework and the database version that were overdue, tech debt to be paid and all that. Unglamorous and invisibile to users but needs to be done. I was also behind on responding to all the support tickets and trade disputes, which I finally finished getting up to date last week.  There are some more database issues with utf8 text to solve, emojis do not work in chats and other fields. This was waiting for the mysql upgrade which was done (not smoothly) today. Still need to set up some changes in my backup flow to account for the new mysql version and my new physical db server, that needed an upgrade.

Wizards keeps printing insane numbers of varieties that need attention when importing, they do not provide a database to nicely parse. Scryfall is mostly up to date as a double check source, but they also I think have problems with etched, the new special d&d treatment, and they do not list the double sided tokens either. Tcgplayer and mtgcardmarket do add things quickly but I cannot write an importer for those, as they are full of badly named cards with "V1" or other random text in their names. So it's a slog.

I was not (and still am not) sure how to handle the etched in the best way, backend-code wise. All other sites seem to just add another printing for it, so I think I'm going for that as well. Should be finally coming up this week.

That's mostly the current status.

sebi wrote:

That's mostly the current status.

Thank you! I really appreciate the update and all your work maintaining this site.

I understand that the solution you pick for Etched Foil may not be one that works for me, and I'll continue to use odd Flag Combos instead (e.g. Foil & Promo or Foil & Misprint).

Solseek wrote:

I understand that the solution you pick for Etched Foil may not be one that works for me, and I'll continue to use odd Flag Combos instead (e.g. Foil & Promo or Foil & Misprint).

Pricing is the issue here. The etched versions have to have their own separate price from normal and foil. I  difficult to add  special handling for flags whenever wizards wants to add another one, that might be just used for a single set (like the d&d ampersand foil thing they're doing now). It's much easier to just have that as a printing than a special flag. (the same as we do for planeswalker stamped, date stamped, etc...)

Are you interested in any assistance on the mysql issue?  I have dealt with these pains before.

sebi wrote:

Pricing is the issue here. The etched versions have to have their own separate price from normal and foil. I  difficult to add  special handling for flags whenever wizards wants to add another one, that might be just used for a single set (like the d&d ampersand foil thing they're doing now). It's much easier to just have that as a printing than a special flag. (the same as we do for planeswalker stamped, date stamped, etc...)

I hear you... I'm just opting for a solution that works for me in terms of cleanliness of tracking my collection. Since I'm less concerned about the price, I'm choosing to keep my cards together in their set instead of splitting them across multiple ones.

I love this site. This has got to be a huge job, and I appreciate the time you all spend on it.

I agree with the gratitude sentiment, I'm pretty impressed with how quickly deckbox has been able to keep up with all the different versions. Certainly faster than I'm able to differentiate them. Thank you! big_smile

sebi wrote:

Some problems occurred with a major mysql upgrade today causing close to 2 hours of downtime, sorry about the inconvenience.

I'm still investigating potential issues, please let me know if you notice slow pages or any other new bugs.

Thanks for all your work, Sebi!

I have noticed something that's popped up since the downtime: it doesn't seem that sorting on decks is working. Clicking on any of the headers in a deck doesn't seem to change the order of the entries at all.

Not sure if it is related to your MYSQL issues or not, but sorting within decks is messed up.  It seems like it is grouping by some hidden column that is not obvious and then sorting within those mystery groups.

Also reporting deck sorting errors. Doesn't matter what column or sort order I choose, they remain sorted by name alphabetically.

Sebi, thank you for all your hard work on the site. As Cindarin said, if you need volunteers to assist with some of the administrative work just let the community know. I would be willing to assist.
Cheers, Paul

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

mikonawa wrote:

Also reporting deck sorting errors. Doesn't matter what column or sort order I choose, they remain sorted by name alphabetically.

+1 on sorting not working in decklist, but for me cards are displayed randomly.