Topic: Help on "lost" packages.

So after many years on this site it finally happened. I had packages go missing. The catch is, I put them in my LOCKED outgoing mail box at the front of my complex. With tracking. They where never scanned as received. Talked to the postmaster today. He basically said I am SOL. Told me and I quote "I guess you can't trust that box any more".

I have already messaged the 3 people that are missing cards. I will make sure they get taken care of. My question is, what can I do about my missing card? Am I really just SOL? It sounds like the local office is aware of some sort of problem, but is not talking about it.

Re: Help on "lost" packages.

Yeah dude, you're pretty much fucked.  My wife was waiting for a package and it said it was delivered and we never got it. Talked to the post office and the post man and they both said it was delivered. The postman said he specifically remembered delivering it. Well, four days later the package shows up with a note from the postman saying sorry.

They really have no way of knowing where shit is. The tracking hardly ever works and sometimes things go all the way around the country and back before it makes its destination. Now you just have to wait and see where they end up.

Unfortunately, although I am constantly looking for trades here. I am hesitant to trade at this moment. Cards/Packages and the like are tampered with frequently in mail (though they should not) for people looking for Money and other things... its a shame, but I wait until January at this point to do trades. Bummer cause I could use some stuff for the next few weeks but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Maybe something like that happened sad

GarrukWildspeaker wrote:

Yeah dude, you're pretty much fucked.  My wife was waiting for a package and it said it was delivered and we never got it. Talked to the post office and the post man and they both said it was delivered. The postman said he specifically remembered delivering it. Well, four days later the package shows up with a note from the postman saying sorry.

They really have no way of knowing where shit is. The tracking hardly ever works and sometimes things go all the way around the country and back before it makes its destination. Now you just have to wait and see where they end up.

The part that is killing me is that I put them in a locked mail box. The ONLY person that had access is them. I would think that they would have to take responsibility at that point sad

FluffyWolf2 wrote:

Unfortunately, although I am constantly looking for trades here. I am hesitant to trade at this moment. Cards/Packages and the like are tampered with frequently in mail (though they should not) for people looking for Money and other things... its a shame, but I wait until January at this point to do trades. Bummer cause I could use some stuff for the next few weeks but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Maybe something like that happened sad

That is the only thing that could have happened at this point I think. I put them in a locked mail box that only USPS has access 2 sad

Depending I would look to start including insurance on anything you send with tracking. That way if does gets lost, your not SOL. Tracking with Insurance usually is only 5-6 bucks via Paypal Shipping and covers you with USPS. Obviously this would mean making your trades "worth" the added cost but honestly if you sending or recieving cards that are worth more than 30-50, 5-6 is a small price to pay to insure your not completely SOL.

Also I would suggest that if you dont think you can trust your box, to consider making trips to the PO. I pretty much do that for all trades to Canada so I can a receipt and make sure its not going to be sent back to me for wrong postage. Ive been very fortunate that my system as really resulted in at most 3 lost packages on my whole time with online trading in general.

It sucks to say, but your local post office personnel aren't above being scumbags. Here's something that happened to me, not Magic related.

I lived in a city neighborhood that required residential parking permits to park on the street all day without getting a ticket. Since parking near my neighborhood, in a garage, can run you somewhere in the ballpark of $1500-2000 a year, obtaining one of those parking permits can be worth a lot of money. I'm sure you could easily sell one for $500 cash, with no effort what so ever.

Anyway, each year we received notification from the city which was a form to return with a copy of our registration, showing that we still lived there. So, one year, we get the forms and I fill them out for both the wife and myself and send them in. A couple weeks later I grab the stack of mail that was shoved through my front door mail slot and there are two envelopes, from the Department of Finance (the office that issues the parking permits), that are torn open and empty. Not slightly ripped and maybe the contents fell out... like, someone took their finger and opened the letter end to end. To be clear, the rest of the mail was completely unscathed in any way. It was just the two letters from the Department of Finance that were manged and empty.

So I called the city office, explained what happened and the lady on the phone says, "OK, I'll void those stickers and send you out two more. Expect them in 2-3 days." Well, 2-3 days goes by and I pickup the mail at the front door, only to see two more letters from the Department of Finance which had been ripped open, emptied and taped shut. Again, no other mail had met the same fate, just those letters.

I took all four envelopes to the city Post Office, showed them to the Postmaster and he assured me that no one would ever do that and that my mail slot must have mangled those envelopes (but no others). When I asked him if my nefarious mail slot also felt bad and taped up the two most recent letters, he just scowled at me and said, "maybe, but it wasn't us!"

This is also the busiest time of ear for them so maybe they will randomly show up. It has happened to me where tracking shows nothing, not even pick up for 3 or 4 days, then suddenly it shows up as being out for delivery at the target location. I know it is a long shot, but the best thing to do is just give it a little bit. Unfortunately, without insurance, you pretty much are SOL.

Thanks for the support all. I am 80% sure it was the newish postal carrier that took the mail at this point. I have been using the same LOCKED outgoing mail box at my complex for years. The only ones that have a key is USPS as far as I know.

Nothing I can do to prove it though. We have been having issues starting about the time they started doing the route. It was little things up to this point. Like putting boxes in my mail box that I could not get out because it would only fit in on their side. Had a few non card containing letters get bent as well.

From talking to the Post Master in the past they are aware that there is a problem with our carrier, but they need more "proof" before they can do any thing. sad

Last edited by F3n1x (2015-12-15 21:01:24)

So we may have a happy ending after all. All 3 package just showed up last night as accepted at my local USPS. My big question is, where have they been the last 2 weeks?

Honestly, they probably got lost behind a seat or shelf and they just now had time to clean that area out. I would still lodge a complaint with the PO though.