Topic: Are prices still updating?

I keep looking around for prices to update. A lot of cards have gone up in the last few weeks that are still way underpriced. I'm not sure if they're not updating at all, or only slightly, but here are some cards that seem way off:
seedborn muse
descendants' path
ABU dual lands
Lion's eye diamond
gaea's avenger
Magus of the Tabernacle

Basically, the pricing here seems broken. I'm surprised no one has posted about it. I'm tired of getting offers to trade my underpriced cards, and I don't have confidence to trade right now since the pricing is clearly off.

Re: Are prices still updating?

Many users try to take advantage of Deckbox's broken pricing. This is why I stopped trading.

Sebi obviously needs to fix the algorithm and/or the data sources. In the interim he (or some skilled volunteer) should write a tool that compares Deckbox prices to TCGMid and lists all the broken prices so Sebi can manually fix them.

Sebi, you can't rely on users to report each broken price because many will be motivated to not do so in order to take advantage. The  pricing issues thread doesn't cut it.

I don't realistically expect real-time price updates when something is spiking. I know that trading here and relying on pricing is a little "buyer beware" as it relates to prices. For big value stuff it always makes sense to spot-check a price. Most of us have been on either end of card trades have that changed a bit in value. I can (personally) live with a bit of a lag in prices, but what seems like weeks of incorrect prices on many cards just leads to a breakdown in trust -- especially with no apparent acknowledgement or announcement from the mods or even the users.

d72B wrote:

Many users try to take advantage of Deckbox's broken pricing. This is why I stopped trading.

Sebi obviously needs to fix the algorithm and/or the data sources. In the interim he (or some skilled volunteer) should write a tool that compares Deckbox prices to TCGMid and lists all the broken prices so Sebi can manually fix them.

Sebi, you can't rely on users to report each broken price because many will be motivated to not do so in order to take advantage. The  pricing issues thread doesn't cut it.

To be honest, It just makes more sense to double check prices in multiple places than to rely on one source. I have been cross checking between DB prices and all other sources since the begining so its pretty much second nature to me by now. If your using a Web Browser (opposed to a phone) I would give a Autocard Anywhere add on a chance. Pretty handy if for a quick look up.

http://www.autocardanywhere.com/

Helios52 wrote:

To be honest, It just makes more sense to double check prices in multiple places than to rely on one source. I have been cross checking between DB prices and all other sources since the begining so its pretty much second nature to me by now.

Yes longtime users know that Deckbox pricing has never been reliable and so they use outside sources. What about new users? Should they be warned to not trust Deckbox prices? What stops them from being taken advantage of?

Deckbox provides prices that are often wildly inaccurate and this is probably more damaging than not providing any at all. Should Deckbox remove its prices until they work?

d72B wrote:
Helios52 wrote:

To be honest, It just makes more sense to double check prices in multiple places than to rely on one source. I have been cross checking between DB prices and all other sources since the begining so its pretty much second nature to me by now.

Yes longtime users know that Deckbox pricing has never been reliable and so they use outside sources. What about new users? Should they be warned to not trust Deckbox prices? What stops them from being taken advantage of?

Deckbox provides prices that are often wildly inaccurate and this is probably more damaging than not providing any at all. Should Deckbox remove its prices until they work?

As a longtime deckbox user with ~750 trades, I disagree somewhat. There have been periods when the pricing was bad, but for the most part most prices have been good enough. Foil pricing on more obscure cards, basic lands, and promos were most likely to be off. I'd guess that only 2-3% of my trades or trade partners objected to any trade proposals explicitly due to valuation, or insisted on valuing things using a different method. I think deckbox pricing has been mostly "good enough", and it's only in the last two weeks that it's laughably off. That said, I wouldn't trade a high end foil, or really any card worth >$20 without checking elsewhere, regardless.

Yeah, the pricing has been really bad lately. JVP is at $60 on here and $85 tcgmid, etc. Not sure what's going on but it should be a high-priority fix.

Looking into pricing improvements. Thank you for the patience.