Topic: Defaulting to Near-Mint

Hi, I wouldn't normally make these kinds of posts but I've had too many negative experiences in the short time I've used this site (although they are paired with some very positive experiences as well).

Why, when you put a card into your inventory, is the default condition Near-Mint? Shouldn't it be set to the unknown condition? I've traded with a couple of people who in their bio say that their own inventories are not graded correctly and "if you care" to ask them for clarification on the conditions. I understand that some people may have enormous collections to where they're putting Bulk into consideration and listing it, but the assumption in most marketplaces when buying/selling/trading is not that everything is pristine. Therefore, why would it be the same for Magic, where there are people who desire to keep their own collections in good condition, or prefer to get poor-condition cards because they're cheaper and their desire is strictly for gameplay.

Re: Defaulting to Near-Mint

There are options on every page you add inventory to select the imported condition (in bulk or not). I'm not sure if they've been around for a long time or not, but they are now.

I do, however, agree with you that it should be "unknown" if the user has never changed the option. Would be nice for users that don't care to keep track of that.

jakke42 wrote:

There are options on every page you add inventory to select the imported condition (in bulk or not). I'm not sure if they've been around for a long time or not, but they are now.

I do, however, agree with you that it should be "unknown" if the user has never changed the option. Would be nice for users that don't care to keep track of that.

I'm just surprised and confused that it has been organized this way for a while; I'm pretty sure deckbox has been a thing for nearly a decade and has had trading setups for nearly as long. I can't think of any other trading bazaar I've used (such as in online marketplaces or in real life) where condition/quality isn't a prime consideration.

as jakke42 you can select the Edition and Condition from the Add screen that'll add default value, The Near Mint condition for most means that its out of Original Packaging and Never touched after that. And the Setting of Default has been around since before i Started using Deckbox.org in 2014. I personally list all mine by Default as Lightly Played just below Near Mint. I just assume that any card I buy that is not in a booster pack or sealed by Wizards is in the Lightly Played condition. Because even if you don't play the card just moving it from sleeves and such can cause minor scratches to the cards.

I do Believe (Could be wrong as its been awhile since I changed my settings the Starting Defaults are: Latest Edition/Unknown Condition/English.

also if you  review the Condition Guidelines Here you'll Note that they list Near mint as Opened and slight minor imperfections but not played