Topic: Time to get out and sell my collection?

Hey everybody I am a long time legacy player on and off again and I am LEANING towards selling my collection. Having a full time job and 4 kids keeps me busy enough that I do not play as much as I would like. 2 of my kids are getting into playing so I am on the fence if I should sell or play with them. IF I sell off my collection it will be just that all or nothing, I do not want people to cherry pick half my collection and have half the cards sitting around. I will entertain any reasonable offer. I understand that is a loaded and subjective statement so ask yourself if you had my collection and somebody offered you the price you are willing to offer me would you sell? IF you answer no please do not expect me to say yes.

Re: Time to get out and sell my collection?

Tough time to sell, as many prices are sliding due to the impending global recession.  I'd hold on to things for now unless you really need the money.

I'd like to buy your Cabal Coffers foil if you decide to piece things out smile

I agree even in good economic times I do not know who has thousands of dollars sitting around. Money is not a problem the cards have been sitting around collecting dust long enough I am willing to let them set more. I just want to get the info out there and let anyone interested know. There are a lot of challenges in selling a collection if I was interested I would want to see the cards, Not sure what it would cost to insure/ship, and who knows that else.

Depending on the age of your kids, I would recommend keeping your cards around.  I played a lot with my daughter between 12 and 18 and it is always fun to run into families that play at my FLGS.  12 seems to be a really good age for getting kids into Magic and there are a fair number around that age or slightly older at my local store.  My daughter is so much better than me at the rules, remembering triggers, etc., just because she grew up with it.  She doesn't play much now (other than when she is home to visit), but it did likely get her into D&D, which is her favorite hobby.

That's cool you got her into it, my oldest is 13 and calls herself a collector, my middle 2 are the ones who like to play they're 10 and 11. They have been into it for about a year or so now I let them go thru my bulk commons/uncommons mostly to prove they can take care of the cards. I only let them play with my stuff if I am playing they do enjoy it but it is hard for me to justify having the cards if I am not playing as much as I would like. They like to team up on dad. I don't need the money so I can sit on them but it is hard not to think of extra mad money sitting there collecting dust. I got on here to help me get pieces for new ideas but seeing the value of what I have has me thinking if I don't play enough is it worth having them around?

Last edited by Cmarch82 (2020-03-30 01:16:46)

I would also advise not to sell at this time unless you absolutely have too

MtG isn't going anywhere, this game is going to last a long time, and even if they stop printing cards tomorrow, there would still be people like me trying to complete their collections.  So the market for cards is going to be around a long time, and selling into fear is always a bad idea.

I agree people usually sell for 2 reasons.
1. Fear
2. Greed
Both reasons can bite you in the end.

Cmarch82 wrote:

I don't need the money so I can sit on them but it is hard not to think of extra mad money sitting there collecting dust. I got on here to help me get pieces for new ideas but seeing the value of what I have has me thinking if I don't play enough is it worth having them around?

Personally, I would save your high-value cards for a few years and trade for some booster boxes so that you can draft with everyone, and just sell/trade a few cards at a time.  I think of cards that I'm not playing as value just waiting until I have a use for different Magic cards or I want to get some new board games or something like that.

The problem with that is I have 23 decks now (I think) maybe more (I have plenty of variety). I am working on a new EDH out of boredom. I'd have to say it is going well I am undefeated play testing it. I know people would want to buy staples and that is why I want it all gone or nothing. Otherwise people cherry pick the staples and I have a bunch of neutered decks/cards. I did not feel this way when I created my account but again when I see the value compared to the lack of playing It is hard to justify. My g/f works for a distributor so occasionally she gets promos for the kids and we have a ton of fun with that.

The biggest issue with Selling right now is that, with the way the world is right now, you are very limited by both those willing to buy a collection and the actual value you will get for what you have.

Sure the cards you have been are collecting dust, but so is everyone else's cards because no one can go out and actually play paper magic. It's not that you won't find people to buy a collection but those people are most likely in a position to take advantage of the current market low and offer a lot less than what you could feasibly get in waiting 3-6 months.

If you are really sold on selling it as a whole, your best bet is to take the time to Document every out and take pictures of the conditions of cards.

I have played maybe 5 times in the past 2 years.