Topic: Collection questions, advice appreciated

Hi all, as a newbie to MTG collection and playing I have a few questions in which direction to head with my collection and play.

As of now I am looking to complete my collection of Ixalan and and Rivals of Ixalan. I don't own any of the core collections and I wondered if it was a good idea to start collection the 2019 or 2020 core set? I do play on MTG Arena atm due to the situation but after this is all over I would like to sit down on a Friday and play.

What set or core set would I need to play straight away? Would I have to keep purchasing the newest set just to go sit on a Friday an play with everyone else?

Thank you for any advice given

M. smile

Re: Collection questions, advice appreciated

Are you looking at Magic as mainly a game to play or something to collect?  What formats are popular at your local store?

If you're looking mainly to play, I would skip collecting sets and instead purchase or trade for cards as you need them rather than trying to build up a large collection.  You'll end up getting a decent collection anyways over time as you modify decks, retire decks or draft.

I do happen to collect sets, and I like to pick them up as they rotate out of Standard.  They're a lot cheaper then as a lot of people just focus on Standard and don't want the cards any longer.

psrex wrote:

Are you looking at Magic as mainly a game to play or something to collect?  What formats are popular at your local store?

If you're looking mainly to play, I would skip collecting sets and instead purchase or trade for cards as you need them rather than trying to build up a large collection.  You'll end up getting a decent collection anyways over time as you modify decks, retire decks or draft.

I do happen to collect sets, and I like to pick them up as they rotate out of Standard.  They're a lot cheaper then as a lot of people just focus on Standard and don't want the cards any longer.

Hi Psrex,

I like the idea of being able to go into my local game shop (ive not been before) and be able to sit down and just play games, not looking for competitive magic gaming. I enjoy the collecting side of the card atm as I do enjoy being a collector of sorts anyway, I chose Ixalon because it jumped out at me and I like pirates ha. I just didn't know if I went with my own ixalan deck would I be able to sit down and play? id take extra cards with me also. im not sure what to do for just casual gaming with people?

Cleggy89 wrote:

im not sure what to do for just casual gaming with people?

Where I am Commander has pretty much taken over casual gaming.  I can head in with a Commander deck and usually find games, but other than that everyone wants to test their Standard, Modern, or Pioneer decks, so you'd be playing tournament Magic, just not in a tournament setting.  If I'm not playing Commander I would draft instead, as then I don't need to have a deck ahead of time.  My store drafts every Friday and some Saturdays, so there are plenty of chances to play.

psrex wrote:
Cleggy89 wrote:

im not sure what to do for just casual gaming with people?

Where I am Commander has pretty much taken over casual gaming.  I can head in with a Commander deck and usually find games, but other than that everyone wants to test their Standard, Modern, or Pioneer decks, so you'd be playing tournament Magic, just not in a tournament setting.  If I'm not playing Commander I would draft instead, as then I don't need to have a deck ahead of time.  My store drafts every Friday and some Saturdays, so there are plenty of chances to play.

Thank you for the help, I think once the isolation has been lifted here il have a wander to the store and see what the crack is. Ive been told the guy who owns it isn't that genuine but I have no other store nearby. Il have a look what other people are doing and ask around.

Thanks again Psrex

m smile

Look at which format you will play. If it is to play Standard then invest in new sets. If it is to play commander or pauper then pick cards here and there.  When I began to play I bought the cards of two players so for 1500$ I got 45 000 cards that was covering well the Pioneer format.  So I made decks mostly for that format and bought cards slowly for Commander and keep buying new sets for Standard . I am still far or playing Modern so I did not yet bought many cards for that format

One area that is needed and often is the costly part of decks are lands as they are used in all decks .  Some set are better than others like the Ravnica set for shock land. Those recent Ravnica set are still not costly.