Topic: New Feature: Color Identity

Not sure if this has been suggested in the past, but it would really help if we could filter by color identity.  Creating commander decks would be much easier if we could filter out cards that have additional color identities compared to their actual color.  Cards like Morophon not being in every colorless filter would make things a lot cleaner.

Re: New Feature: Color Identity

Its not clean, but if you do "rules text:" select either include or exclude, and then the color coes you want/don't want to see in rules text, it'll filter as such.

For example, once I've narrowed a list to just commander/brawl/singleton legal within the colors i want, then I go and (ina second tab) copy that search. In second tab, add the "rules text" to filter cards that include colors I don't want to see (there will be a few false positives, but not many). From this, adding the following filter to first tab "name - does not contain:" and listing the ones I cannot add (again, if you've narrowed tab 2 proparly, it should not be a long list), then apply filters. Finally I save the search (just in case I need to return to it) and begin the hunt.

Is it elegant, no, but it does work.

I dunno... color identity might be helpful. It was really annoying searching for blue rares and having Ancestral Vision and Pact of Negation not coming up in the results, for example.

Red Wildrider YouTube channel - box openings, Commander deck tech, and more!

the text will exclude more cards than color identity because of reminder text.  Example crypt ghast which has a color identity of black  but has a reminder text of white black

I would LOVE it if Deckbox could be an all-in-one solution for me, because it's so amazing in the card inventorying department! Unfortunately, it's not. It's just not very good in the deck-building department, so I use other sites for that. It's not very good in the card price department, so I use other sites for that. And it's not very good in the card search / filtering department, so I use Scryfall exclusively for that. Once you have mastered the advanced syntax like AND/OR logic, negation, and regex patterns (not to mention special flags like "is:reserved" or "new:art") which you can take advantage of on Scryfall, you'll never again use anything else for searching.

Again, I wish Deckbox had this search capability, but I don't think that's something Sebi could easily implement (probably would entail a complete database overhaul), so I've just resigned myself to not waiting for it and just using multiple tools side-by-side.

Last edited by meldon44 (2021-03-16 07:32:25)

You are such a joy.

Red Wildrider YouTube channel - box openings, Commander deck tech, and more!

meldon44, I agree with the prices, but the card searching is actually pretty good. While it isn't going to give you the extremely advanced results as Scryfall, it has taken huge strides in the last year. I use this site for deck-building all the time since it has all my cards inventoried. Sebi does a great job and works hard to make this site great and is always willing to implement new feature suggestions if it is possible. Remember that Scryfall has one function, whereas Deckbox does all sorts of things.

tenochi wrote:

meldon44, I agree with the prices, but the card searching is actually pretty good. While it isn't going to give you the extremely advanced results as Scryfall, it has taken huge strides in the last year. I use this site for deck-building all the time since it has all my cards inventoried. Sebi does a great job and works hard to make this site great and is always willing to implement new feature suggestions if it is possible. Remember that Scryfall has one function, whereas Deckbox does all sorts of things.

Absolutely! I 100% agree with you, and wasn't trying to imply Sebi does a subpar job. I've been quick to sing his praises many times. I also believe that given a long enough timeframe, most features will be added / improved as we would desire. But for those who don't want to wait and need more than what Deckbox offers, I was presenting a realistic option as things currently stand. I think your last sentence is the key -- Deckbox is a jack-of-all-trades so won't be as phenomenal in areas that other tools, like Scryfall, single-mindedly focus on. And that's not at all a knock on Deckbox. It's amazing for what it is. If people want a full-featured search engine, they should look to Scryfall. But Deckbox's search will fulfill a majority of user's most common needs.