Topic: How large of a deck could I build?

Pretty much what's in the header.

I've entered a cube before so I know it can hold at least 420 cards... but I was wondering if there was an actual maximum, or if there would be significant speed issues as that deck size grows larger.

Curious because I've been thinking of ways in which I can optimize how I use Deckbox relative to how I store my cards. Unless there is some other way on Deckbox in which I could classify my cards by the binder/box they're in that I have not yet stumbled across. I could be looking at thousands of cards per "decklist" so I figured I'd ask before I started trying.

Red Wildrider YouTube channel - box openings, Commander deck tech, and more!

Re: How large of a deck could I build?

redwildrider wrote:

I was wondering if there was an actual maximum, or if there would be significant speed issues as that deck size grows larger.

I have no idea on a maximum, but I can comment on performance. TL;DR -- it got a lot slower for me with 2300+ cards in a deck.

So unlike a lot of people's versions of this, my reserved list "deck" actually lists 4x of each card..... because the dream is to own a playset of each P9 card, amirite??? LoL. In any case, that means 2300+ cards.

The other day I decided to actually go in and split rows and set specific editions for the ones I own. For instance, say I own 2x of a Collectors Edition version of a card, but my actual collection goal is 4x Revised of that card. I had to: 1) Add a new row for that card, 2) update the quantity of the new row to 2, and 3) change that row's edition to CE.

I noticed that all the actions took an abysmally long time. We're talking like 10-15 seconds per action. I have it set as a Deck Idea, not Built Deck, so I don't know if that affects it. I also am aware that Sebi has been silently making tweaks to the site's backend, so maybe I just did it at a bad time. And I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 if that matters.

However, if it's that slow all the time, then that would make it all but unusable for any box / binder that has frequently updating contents. Once all the contents are entered, though, it's not too slow for viewing / sorting.

redwildrider wrote:

Unless there is some other way on Deckbox in which I could classify my cards by the binder/box they're in that I have not yet stumbled across.

An oft-requested feature! But no, nothing has been implemented as of yet. Built Decks are still the closest we have.

Thank you for the reply. I felt I was pretty thorough searching the site, and I'm glad that this is a feature that others are interested in as well.

I'd be using Firefox on Win10, so I'm sure my experience will be similar. I've noticed a slight drag when I alter my cube as compared to when I alter my EDH decks, so I figured that, if decklists could be infinite, that there would be some significant slowdowns.

So then... is there a limit to the number of decks one can have (on Premium)? Because if I can have infinite decks without slowdown, I could at least have a "workaround" solution for what I was going to use it for.

I don't think that there is a limit on the number of decks that you can have.  I have 377, mostly for keeping track of sets, and they're very usable.

I put in my entire collection of Mystery Booster cards I got from PAX and a box before putting them into the system (since the set was not up yet and they were all reprints anyway). I was able to easily add them, but the page did kinda slow up if I wanted to make changes to it. I think that speed would come of course with distinct cards and not just cards in general. Currently I don't have many more than 120 or so card in a deck and I don't see many speed issues

ic0n67 wrote:

I think that speed would come of course with distinct cards and not just cards in general.

You are correct. I just tested by copying someone else's singleton reserved list, and had the same speed issues.

I also tested it as a Built Deck. No better or worse than Deck Idea.

I did notice that the card will actually update faster on the backend, but for some reason the page is slow to refresh its display of the details. I opened the deck in two tabs, and on one switched a card's edition from Revised to Unlimited. Then I kept refreshing the second tab. It updated in less than 10 seconds, but the first tab where I'd initiated the edition update took >30 seconds to show the new edition.

Caveat: I'm currently on slow data, so I'll have to check again tomorrow when my fast data is back. But even so, it shouldn't take that much longer to update.

Last edited by meldon44 (2021-05-26 19:03:59)

Yeah, deck pages were not designed to support thousands of entries. All changes to any card re-render the whole listing (for totals and statistics and stuff), even though that would not be necessary (or should be cleaned up and optimized). But the idea was that a deck is something small(ish), and not made to be paginated, like big collections.

I think when we finally have tags for inventories a large number of usecases that people use decks for will move to use that instead. (except gigantic cubes)

sebi wrote:

Yeah, deck pages were not designed to support thousands of entries. All changes to any card re-render the whole listing (for totals and statistics and stuff), even though that would not be necessary (or should be cleaned up and optimized). But the idea was that a deck is something small(ish), and not made to be paginated, like big collections.

Makes sense. I was noticing the re-rendering of each colored indicator for "have enough" / "don't have enough" in sequence, and figured that was part of the bottleneck.

Sorry Sebi. Your users are just bound and determined to break your site.  tongue

sebi wrote:

I think when we finally have tags for inventories a large number of usecases that people use decks for will move to use that instead. (except gigantic cubes)

Looking forward to it!

sebi wrote:

This (as well as earlier posts) would explain why it was so slow and glitchy, at least initially, when I went to undo marking cards as being in my Commander decks, especially those decks that run few basic lands. It was slow moving and sometimes the inventory drop down would appear way further down the page than it should have (and got worse the further down the page I went).

Yeah I'll definitely use those tags when we have them! Hopefully coming soon! Thank you for the response!