Topic: Trading Ideas

I've been doing a lot of trading lately, and I have to say that Deckbox is just really great at handling all of this information and process in a very great way.
But doing all of that trading has given me a lot of ideas about how possibly to improve the process as well.

I apologize in advance for my long windedness.

Duplicate Trade Alert
When opening my packs for M13, I ended up with three Yeva, Nature's Heralds and a whole bunch of additional cards.  I didn't really need a lot of the cards, so I obviously went to trade them away.  The problem arose when I got a bunch of different offers, for a lot of different cards, and the offers switched all around a lot, and all of this happened in the same day.  It got really hard to keep track of which cards I had already agreed to trade and which ones I still had available.  The only real solution was to open up the dozen or so trades each in their own tab and manually go through each one to verify whether or not a single card was being traded or not.

It would be great if, when you are trading more than one of the same card at the same time or if you're trading more than on your tradelist in different trades, that you would be alerted to that fact, just in case.  Very similar to how you are warned that a card isn't in your tradelist:
http://i.imm.io/xRlo.png
But instead, a warning saying something like, "Another current trade also contains this card".

And the same also goes for cards that you are trading for.  If you have a lot of trades going on, then sometimes it is hard to remember exactly what you're getting from each trade.  I recently got an extra Corpse Harvester that I didn't mean to trade for, because I forgot that I had already traded for one.  Warning me, in a similar fashion, that I'm trading for more of that card than I originally wanted to, would be a breath of fresh air.

Trades Involving Each Card
This example kind of goes hand-in-hand with the last one.  It would be great when looking at an individual card's page, if it would list all of your current trades that the card is involved in.  That way you can just jump straight to the trades, rather than trying to dig through all of the trades on the trade page, trying to find the right one.

Saving Final Trade Value
On a trade page, there is the little note that "The card prices displayed above are current prices - at the time this trade was finished they might have been significantly different".

I think it would be pretty easy to save off the overall trade values when both people Accept the trade.  Then, later on, you could come back to the trade, see both the original and new/updated values and compare.

Differences
This one is erring more on the difficult end of the spectrum, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Sometimes I come back to a trade and the other person has rearranged everything, removed things, added things, whatever.  It would be nice if you would store the differences between the last two proposals, for easy viewing, so I can see exactly what they changed.  That way I don't have to go back and dig through their Tradelist/Inventory again to figure out which cards I wanted.

Again, this site is amazing, and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.  And let me know if you ever need a hand.

Re: Trading Ideas

NullParameter wrote:

I've been doing a lot of trading lately, and I have to say that Deckbox is just really great at handling all of this information and process in a very great way.
But doing all of that trading has given me a lot of ideas about how possibly to improve the process as well.

Duplicate Trade Alert
When opening my packs for M13, I ended up with three Yeva, Nature's Heralds and a whole bunch of additional cards.  I didn't really need a lot of the cards, so I obviously went to trade them away.  The problem arose when I got a bunch of different offers, for a lot of different cards, and the offers switched all around a lot, and all of this happened in the same day.  It got really hard to keep track of which cards I had already agreed to trade and which ones I still had available.  The only real solution was to open up the dozen or so trades each in their own tab and manually go through each one to verify whether or not a single card was being traded or not.

It would be great if, when you are trading more than one of the same card at the same time or if you're trading more than on your tradelist in different trades, that you would be alerted to that fact, just in case.  Very similar to how you are warned that a card isn't in your tradelist:
But instead, a warning saying something like, "Another current trade also contains this card".

And the same also goes for cards that you are trading for.  If you have a lot of trades going on, then sometimes it is hard to remember exactly what you're getting from each trade.  I recently got an extra Corpse Harvester that I didn't mean to trade for, because I forgot that I had already traded for one.  Warning me, in a similar fashion, that I'm trading for more of that card than I originally wanted to, would be a breath of fresh air.

This example kind of goes hand-in-hand with the last one.  It would be great when looking at an individual card's page, if it would list all of your current trades that the card is involved in.  That way you can just jump straight to the trades, rather than trying to dig through all of the trades on the trade page, trying to find the right one.

Saving Final Trade Value
On a trade page, there is the little note that "The card prices displayed above are current prices - at the time this trade was finished they might have been significantly different".

I think it would be pretty easy to save off the overall trade values when both people Accept the trade.  Then, later on, you could come back to the trade, see both the original and new/updated values and compare.

Differences
This one is erring more on the difficult end of the spectrum, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Sometimes I come back to a trade and the other person has rearranged everything, removed things, added things, whatever.  It would be nice if you would store the differences between the last two proposals, for easy viewing, so I can see exactly what they changed.  That way I don't have to go back and dig through their Tradelist/Inventory again to figure out which cards I wanted.

Again, this site is amazing, and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.  And let me know if you ever need a hand.

I agree with your desire for a way to monitor how many cards are tied up in pending trades.  I nearly traded away all copies of a couple of cards because multiple trading partners requested the same ones. I also ended up with a few extra copies of some cards, because multiple trading partners put the same cards in their configurations.

Rather than see a flag, I'd love to see another couple of columns: one for pending outbound trades (-#) and one for pending inbound trades (+#).

The pending outbound list would include any quantities of the card in proposed configurations, both local and by mail.  It would not include any quantities once you mark cards as shipped for mail trades.

The pending inbound list would include any quantities fo cards in proposed and shipped configurations (since inventory is not adjusted until you receive the cards).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

NullParameter wrote:

Duplicate Trade Alert

Saving Final Trade Value

Differences

PENDING TRADES
----------------------
I agree with your desire for a way to monitor how many cards are tied up in pending trades.  I nearly traded away all copies of a couple of cards because multiple trading partners requested the same ones. I also ended up with a few extra copies of some cards, because multiple trading partners put the same cards in their configurations.

Rather than see a flag, I'd love to see another couple of columns: one for pending outbound trades (-#) and one for pending inbound trades (+#).

The pending outbound list would include any quantities of the card in proposed configurations, both local and by mail.  It would not include any quantities once you mark cards as shipped for mail trades.

The pending inbound list would include any quantities fo cards in proposed and shipped configurations (since inventory is not adjusted until you receive the cards).

TRADE VALUE
-----------------
I also put a hearty "Second!" behind your idea of capturing the trade value at the time of completion.  With the recent price hiccoughs (brought about by changes in TCGPlayer.com's pricing to reflect versions), I've already had a couple of questions on pending trades when the values jumped significantly, tipping the amounts to be very favorable to one party or the other.

I thought of another idea to add to the trade interface.

Some additional fields that allow for general agreed shipping type and other such things.  For instance, if I'm doing a $50+ trade, I'd really like to make sure that the other person is going to send their cards properly packaged and with Delivery Confirmation/Tracking.  A checkbox could be added that would specify that both sides are going to supply a tracking number. 

And then, once both people have shipped their cards, an additional textbox could show up that would allow them to supply that tracking number so the currently data for the package can be displayed right there in the page.  This would make things much more simple compared to having to track down the DC# in the chat history and then copy/pasting it over to the USPS website, especially because I know a lot of people like to do stuff on their phones.

NullParameter wrote:

I thought of another idea to add to the trade interface.

Some additional fields that allow for general agreed shipping type and other such things.  For instance, if I'm doing a $50+ trade, I'd really like to make sure that the other person is going to send their cards properly packaged and with Delivery Confirmation/Tracking.  A checkbox could be added that would specify that both sides are going to supply a tracking number. 

And then, once both people have shipped their cards, an additional textbox could show up that would allow them to supply that tracking number so the currently data for the package can be displayed right there in the page.  This would make things much more simple compared to having to track down the DC# in the chat history and then copy/pasting it over to the USPS website, especially because I know a lot of people like to do stuff on their phones.

I like those ideas, too.

I would love to see something like this implemented also.  Keep on getting too many cards of the same that I just got from someone else...after losing track of which ones I was getting...or which ones that I have pending with other members.