Topic: Missing cards in received trades--what's protocol?

I worked out a pair of trades with a new member (one at 1:1, and one 4:3 in my favor due to being a trade down and after allowing for the value of foils), and asked him/her to ship first.  There was some delay, but I received the package today. However, both trades are missing cards. 

For the 1:1 trade, it's a low value card, and I could let that one go.  In the 4:3 trade, though, it's over $5 in cards, including two Ponder.  I have not yet marked the cards as received, and have noted the missing cards in the trade chat.  I'm trusting that this was just a simple oversight, and that my trading partner will see the comments and make right on the trade (either sending the cards, or allowing me to adjust what I am sending (if that is possible, with the value of the cards on my side of the trade).

Since s/he shipped first, I planned to send my cards out on the next mail day.  What's protocol for this situation? Do I send all my cards (which I had already prepped for shipping, and are sitting in a sealed bubble mailer), or do I withhold them until my partner's side of the trade is complete? Should I send most of the cards, but hold back something of value to ensure I receive the other cards? If I do that, I end up having to pay postage twice.

Any ideas, or words of wisdom, fellow traders?

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: Missing cards in received trades--what's protocol?

Wait until you have everything from their side.  The delay can be a lesson for them to pay attention to trade details, lest they screw one up with someone less patient than you.

yeah thats the whole reason you make people with zero feedback send first.  Make them correct the issue before you send anything.  Its their fault so there is no reason for you to send until they have corrected their mistake.

I completely agree, missing cards can be accidental but if it's that common it's better to take a hard line because I think it makes the community weaker as a whole if no one thinks they need to be completely honest/attentive, as a side note I hope everything works out with your iffy trades!

Looks like things will work out okay.  The other trader was apologetic, and acknowledges r
being in a rush because he was already behind.  :-)

It definitely was my fault for not double checking. Lesson learned. Communication is a great thing and I feel THAT's the best way to handle it. Kudos to HikingStick for open communication and maturity:cool:

Dakkon4444 wrote:

It definitely was my fault for not double checking. Lesson learned. Communication is a great thing and I feel THAT's the best way to handle it. Kudos to HikingStick for open communication and maturity:cool:

At least you fixed your mistake and didn't lose any respect from us here on the forums. In fact, you gained respect from me!

Profile          Wishlist          Tradelist

So, I'm just curious what you guys think of this scenario.

I did a small trade with somebody, ~$3.  Finally get the cards in the mail, but they sent them in a bubble mailer with only a single stamp, which wasn't enough to cover the shipping.  For some reason, the package made it all the way to me, but now I have to pay an extra $1.50 for the shipping costs.  Obviously, I really didn't want to pay another $1.50 for such a small trade (or any trade for that matter), and I informed the other person of the situation, but haven't received any response despite seeing them online numerous times.

Do I demand action, or let it go, or ..... ?

NullParameter wrote:

I did a small trade with somebody, ~$3.  Finally get the cards in the mail, but they sent them in a bubble mailer with only a single stamp, which wasn't enough to cover the shipping.  For some reason, the package made it all the way to me, but now I have to pay an extra $1.50 for the shipping costs.  Obviously, I really didn't want to pay another $1.50 for such a small trade (or any trade for that matter), and I informed the other person of the situation, but haven't received any response despite seeing them online numerous times.

If they're not responding, leave feedback as appropriate. Otherwise others may get burned like this.

NullParameter wrote:

Worst case scenario you could send a 1.50 less of cards, or don't worry about it. In the grand scheme of life, whats a dollar fiddy gonna do?

nowa90 wrote:

Worst case scenario you could send a 1.50 less of cards, or don't worry about it. In the grand scheme of life, whats a dollar fiddy gonna do?

Well, we sent at the same time, so that isn't really possible, sadly.  And while, yes, a buck fifty isn't going to bankrupt me, the reason that I'm here trading for cards rather than just buying them is to hopefully save money by trading away cards that I don't necessarily need, so that I have money available to do things like FNM and drafts.  Plus, I am a big fan of standing on principle. smile

i have had that happen to me but it was only 20 cents which i didnt mind.  but 1.5?  I would give negative feedback for that if they do not respond and while I agree its only a buck fifty, its still ridiculous and their fault.

its the same as not including a 1.5 dollar card.  would you let that slide? nope

Last edited by mbknight (2012-09-03 04:05:05)

NullParameter wrote:

How did you possibly owe shipping? Did the USPS try to bill you or something?

projhex wrote:
NullParameter wrote:

That's what they do, they charge you upon receiving the package because it would cost them money to send it back to the original owner so they just charge you, it's a sucky system but it is what it is, the only time it happens is when you're dropping cards in the mail box so I usually just do it through the post office so I know my postage is correct

Dakkon4444 wrote:

It was not my intention to shame anyone publicly--that's why I used generic terms for my trading partner.  I'm just glad it was a simple mistake.

imsully2 wrote:
projhex wrote:
NullParameter wrote:

That's what they do, they charge you upon receiving the package because it would cost them money to send it back to the original owner so they just charge you, it's a sucky system but it is what it is, the only time it happens is when you're dropping cards in the mail box so I usually just do it through the post office so I know my postage is correct

Right.  It's "postage due".  You can  send packages intentionally that are postage due, but it also happens when someone shorts the postage.  My guess is that they weighed the mailer, saw that it was under the first class limit, and assumed a first class stamp would cover it.

You might want to talk to your postmaster, explain the situation (trading by mail, postage due) and find out if you can do anything from their end--a complaint or what not.

HikingStick wrote:
Dakkon4444 wrote:

It was not my intention to shame anyone publicly--that's why I used generic terms for my trading partner.  I'm just glad it was a simple mistake.

No worries at all. I didnt think your concern was to shame anyone. I was actually thanking you for your candid communication, and willingness to ask the forum for good, sound, mature advice, and owning up to my own mistake. MOST would rather make rude comments that neither find a solution or solve the problem. Such is life in cyberspace....