Topic: Card grading standards.

Just writing to inquire about how people grade their cards, I personally use this as a scale http://sales.starcitygames.com//cardconditions.php and hold everyone I trade with to this scale as well.  However recently I have had several people lie to me about the condition of their cards stating that the cards are in NM condition when they are clearly not. It's extremely frustrating to trade for cards at their NM value and receive cards that are in crap condition and not worth the value which I traded for, does anyone else have this problem when they're trading their cards?  This really makes me want to stop trading cards here on Deckbox, and I guess I just wanted other people's input before I quit trading on here all together.

Cheers

Re: Card grading standards.

I haven't really had any problems, but man, that MP (in your link) is way more worn than what I would call MP.

My problem with the Star City standards is that they treat a bit of whiting around the edges the same as someone taking a sharpie to the card and marking all around the edge..  or being bent in a binder.

http://www.blackborder.com/cgi-bin/cust … dition.cgi is the other one I see used around here.

These are great resources to have as references. I, for one, have tried to be very up front and honest about the condition of my cards, especially those with a higher value. I hope you won't take the experiences of a few less-than-truthful traders as indicative of the entire community here. I've really enjoyed Deckbox and would hate to see folks like you leave it as a result.

Nighthawk wrote:

My problem with the Star City standards is that they treat a bit of whiting around the edges the same as someone taking a sharpie to the card and marking all around the edge..  or being bent in a binder.

http://www.blackborder.com/cgi-bin/cust … dition.cgi is the other one I see used around here.

Great link! Will be using that if I decide to continue with deckbox, I've been getting cards that are "Excellent" when people are claiming they are "Near Mint", while the cards that I send out are actually Near Mint on that scale.  Thanks for the link, very descriptive for card conditions.

I couldnt agree more with this thread. I make it a point to list all cards not in good condition in my inventory to eleviate any issues. Its crazy what people call near mint, even crazier that they feel they are getting over on you. The only recourse is to go and send pictures of cards in their condition (high value trades). That way theres no mucking about.

I have seen the Blackboarder.com scale used here more frequently, though I personally feel that the gap between NM and excellent on that scale is too large.

Blarg92 wrote:

I have seen the Blackboarder.com scale used here more frequently, though I personally feel that the gap between NM and excellent on that scale is too large.

I agree