Topic: [Standard][UR] Mill with Izzet Flavor (青と赤 Ao to Aka)

I'd like some feedback on this deck, it's what I run on FNM and in casual playtest situations with Shadowhand and our friend El_Gringo.

The deck is a Mill focus with Izzet Flavoring (hence the 青と赤 "Ao to Aka" title).
Spoiler View for Easy Reading.

The cards I'm most worried about are Pillar of Flame and Curse of the Bloody Tome, what could I replace them with once the Innistrad block falls off of standard?

Thanks in advance!

Re: [Standard][UR] Mill with Izzet Flavor (青と赤 Ao to Aka)

UR doesn't mill as well as esper does.  Nehalia Drownyard with things like thought scour etc are probably better.  Esper gives you access to the sweepers like Terminus and Supreme verdict and control cards like azorious charm and sphinx's rev. 

If you're intent on doing mill then I think you need to try to work towards the Esper list.

if you're intent on staying UR, then UR delver is still a thing.  Though the deck runs snap casters and a lot of counters and burn. 

For UR delver, you'd want 4 delvers, 4 snaps, and maybe a couple Ætherlings as creatures.  You need think twice for your draw engine and Ral Zareck wouldn't be bad either. 

Pillar is a solid card and I wouldn't worry about changing it for now.  Who knows what will be available after rotation.  When rotation happens you'll have M14 and Theros cards to consider.  They could bring back lightning bolt for all we know.

Other cards to consider adding.
Mizzium Mortars - strong damage for cheap cost, efficient sweeper
cyclonic rift - more of this
Burn - remove creatures, searing spear, pillar.
More Duel-type-lands and land in general - a control deck needs to be at about 24-26 lands to be consistent, even with additional draw cards.
Turn//Burn - great removal for tough to deal with creatures
Think Twice
Counter spells (dissipate, rewind, syncopate) - these spells exile cards which is a really beneficial effect
Auger of bolas if you can't get snap casters
if you wanted more reslient creatures you could even try Reckoner instead of delver. 
Ætherling - Ætherling - Ætherling!!

Cards to consider taking out
Spell rupture - weapon surge (you're not running enough creatures to make these worth while)
Clear a path - I've never seen enough defenders at FNM for this card to matter.
All the mill... - to be honest it's not an efficient strategy and it can even help some decks right now.

If you want to go the mill direction then I agree with elpablo. You need to get away from the red and go in the very least into black if not full on esper. What you want to do is make a control deck with the finishers being the mill. I ran an esper control that had Jace MA and mind grind as the finishers that could completly mill in 2 or 3 turns once I started in on it. Up until then the control kept me alive and the opponents in check until I was ready. If you go esper then you have S. verdict and Temis for bord wipes and sphinx rev. for card draw / life. along with detention sphear and bounce /  counters to keep everything the opponent has tied up. If you just go Dimir your choices are a bit more limited and will be a combo of creature removal and counters until you get your jace.

Really right now going 3 colors is completely doable.  2 colors are really for aggro decks atm, 90% of other competitive decks will be 3 color.

I looked at your inventory, you have an isolated chappel and a resto angel which are important cards in the esper version of the mill deck.  Your trade fodder looks a little slim otherwise though.  it could be a long expensive ride to get to a functional esper deck before rotation. 

If you want to be competitive at FNMs in the short run you might look into a mono red aggro which you can trade for pretty easy while you build up your other options.

Unless you can drop the $$, then by all means go for it.