Topic: Just want to see what people think....

I made this mill deck and it has work out for me in the games I have played it. Just want to see what people thought.
http://deckbox.org/sets/404371
Thanks for input

Re: Just want to see what people think....

I'm assuming this is for casual play?  Or if you're wanting to play competitively, which format?

I have only Played it casually but I would like to see how it does in Standard.

You'd have to take Akoum Refuge out for standard. Other than that, I've only seen a few grixis decklists for standard and none of them are mill-based.

Akoum refuge is not in this block? I got it from Tobit vs sonin deck pack thing?
Well I can try to get some blood crypts.
So is a mull deck bad?

Unfortunately, getting a reprint in a duel deck doesn't make a card standard. Also, I wouldn't play mill as a main win-con. I would probably look up some grixis control deck lists and keep mill as a side win con with Jace, MA. I know Frank Lepore posted this writeup on grixis in standard pretty recently http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11233.

spartan is correct.  The idea is to control the game with the deck.  once you have control of the game you can use anything to win.  And honestly for the mana investment Ætherling is a much more efficient win condition.

In these colors I see a couple pretty glaring spell omissions though.  Far/away and Turn/burn.  If you're playing standard then you should heavily consider these 2 spells.  Turn/burn shuts down cards like thragtusk and sire of insanity.  Far/away is just good removal and can be used against the hexproof decks as well as aggro.

If you main deck counters they need to be dissipate and syncopate to exile spells against decks like reanimator.  The article linked is a good starting place for a standard grixxis deck right now.

Ok will take a look. so i need to just use the mill as  a second opition not the main one.

well, honestly, for the time being with flash back cards, reanimator and snapcaster mage being in the meta I wouldn't worry about milling someone to finish the game.  Keep the cards it may be an okay strategy after rotation, but even then some decks will still want to be milled playing scavenging ooze and golgari.

Milling someone to death can be slow.  Even after Jace comes online he can take 4-5 turns to kill them with mill and that gives them time to answer jace or just kill you, and only a few of the mill cards provide a board presence.

Last edited by elpablo (2013-06-24 14:03:21)

So taking out some of the planewalkers would be a good idea too. like Liliana of the Dark Realms and Chandra, the Firebrand because I have them in there to help get the land faster and delay the game by killing the litte creature someone could play.

Think of it this way.  As novel as it might be to mill someone out (yes, it's fun), adopting a milling strategy automatically makes your job three times harder than when you started.

As such, Ral Zarek is going to likely provide most of the PW fun you'd want in grixis colors for the time being.  If you're looking for something different and splashy, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is a fan favorite (who also wins games all on his own).

Aside from those though, the others are right, focus more on the control aspects and aim for Aetherlings - just remember artifact hate in the SB, otherwise Pithing Needle will turn your win-con into a 4/5 that's open to removal and chumping.