Topic: Can I keep a translation inside the sleeve when playing?

I hope some judge can answer to me.

I have some Japanese cards and I would like to use them. Can I keep piece of paper inside the sleeve with the English text of the card? Or is it considering as "marking" the card because it's a bit thicker?

Thanks,

Re: Can I keep a translation inside the sleeve when playing?

It shouldn't really effect it in play, I know a few people who do that and it doesn't seem to change anything about playing it.

Most card sleeves are thick enough already that you have no effect with the tiny extra from the translation. Ask the judge at your local area before the tournament though, and then if someone asks, you've already cleared it.

As a general answer, no. It is considered marking the card.

In practice check with your head judge first. Some judges will have an issue with it because it could be seen as marking the card, however some will value the increased playability that the translation brings and allow it.

If you're looking at this for tournament play your best bet is to just have a sheet of paper with the translations on it in the deck box.
Any other time you just clear any irregularities such as translations, proxies, or multisleeve decks with your play group first.

i see people use the databases on the phone too, just call up the card name the picture and everything else match up then you're usually good to go.  imo better than a bunch of loose paper or "marking" your cards.

MTG familiar is pretty good for android.

In a tournament environment, I tend to try my very best to not need a translation of the card.  Since it is a competitive environment, players are expected to recognize the cards by the art.  On the other hand, I still usually bring translations with me (folded text-in inside sleeves with my sideboard) for Opponents who find the alternate language distracting or confusing, such as new players or individuals with obvious problems maintaining focus/attention. I have even offered to supply my opponents with the applicable translation to my Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, only to have them decline and then 2 turns later act dismayed that he was able to drain them for their last 10 life.

I choose not to put the translations in the sleeve with the card, as I've had terrible luck with frequent deck checks that I can only imagine were triggered by the number of foil cards I was fielding that day. I'd hate to lose a game due to providing my opponent with a courtesy.