Topic: phalanx leader and ethereal armor

do you think these cards are actually worth a slot in this deck? Phalanx leader and ethereal armor that is.

the combo sounds so good on paper but, I'm just not too sure about it. what would you replace them with?

Imposing sovereign in the main seems like a good start.

this is a very very rough draft so feel free to tear it apart if you want tongue

http://deckbox.org/sets/505563

Re: phalanx leader and ethereal armor

You've only got 6 cards that target the leader (Being the armors and Ajanis). If you're looking to abuse that ability, I would recommend a more heroic centered build that includes token generators like the red heroic 1/1 that pops out a guy, precinct captain, and even akroan horse. At the moment, I don't think that you'll be able to use the leader's effect to its full potential with what you've got going on right now.

-=Profile=-
Buying cards for store inventory, check my profile!

DarrenM wrote:

You've only got 6 cards that target the leader (Being the armors and Ajanis). If you're looking to abuse that ability, I would recommend a more heroic centered build that includes token generators like the red heroic 1/1 that pops out a guy, precinct captain, and even akroan horse. At the moment, I don't think that you'll be able to use the leader's effect to its full potential with what you've got going on right now.

Yeah, I know the ability to target him is a bit underwhelming, Ajani doesn't even trigger heroic only when a card is cast and targets him does it trigger.

I like the idea of having a cheap way to give my guys +1/+1 especially in a deck that has the ability to make a ton of small creatures (cleric tokens from Heliod) not to mention those tokens pump ethereal armor, but maybe the archangel will be enough, especially if I can ramp her out with my shrine to nyx.

Note that using Ajani's abilities on the Phalanx Leader will NOT trigger heroic.  As such, you're only sitting on four triggers for its ability.  Without adding some added sources to trigger heroic, you might as well just drop them for 4x Dryad Militant and swap the Ethereal Armors for something else (Imposing Sovereign?) going back to the mono-white aggro that people have been playing for the past few weeks.

Now if you want to keep him in there, you could easily slide in things like Gods Willing which can serve as spot protection (so you don't go wasting Brave the Elements to save a single creature), a source for some scry, and a heroic trigger.  I've actually put together a build similar that uses Swift Justice, admittedly not the most commonly played card, to offer another 3 triggers while also keeping him alive in combat and gaining a little additional life.  I can honestly say that I've tackled some tier 1 competition in the past using totally off the wall stuff like this before - it's a LOT of fun to drop Geist of Saint Traft with a Blood Artist care of Vampiric Fury... you can believe he didn't see that coming.

You can see the build I've been tinkering with here: http://deckbox.org/sets/489034 - keep in mind that my decisions were motivated by a lack of having but one Fiendslayer Paladin which is hands down better than Fabled Hero or just about any other three drop for white.

*You beat me to the response... so disregard the part about Ajani not triggering...