Topic: 15 gods (spoilers)

So I hear that we will get 15 gods in the theros block. Want to hear what you think that will do and will be?
We know the major five. The last 10 are minor an will be two colors from what I hear. So deck box what do u have?
Gw
Bw
Uw
Rw
Bg
Ug
Rg
Ub
Rb
Ru

Re: 15 gods (spoilers)

I think that Xenagos may become a God by the time it's over with. 

And Selesnya needs some help right now so I hope that the G/W God or Planeswalker are going to be playable.

blindrocket wrote:

I think that Xenagos may become a God by the time it's over with. 

And Selesnya needs some help right now so I hope that the G/W God or Planeswalker are going to be playable.

It's pretty much a given with the art they've released from the latter sets - just like how Ajani will be joining with a new version in Journey into Nyx.

That being said, I would imagine the RTR pairings are going to get some love in Born of the Gods.  You'll see the other five scry lands, probably some more quality multi-colors (I'm not entirely sold the other gods are going to be multi-colored).  But if I were a betting individual, Kiora Atua (the merfolk PW from DoTP 2012 is likely going to make her appearance here in the next two sets) - likely as a G/U walker - note that they had the exact art for Ral Zarek already used for his portrait in DoTP...

Looking through Theros cards, there are hints as to who the gods will be
**this is conjecture and guesswork**

Gw -Karametra [god of the harvest?] *guessed from Karametra's Acolyte)
Bw - Athreos [the feryman of the dead?]  *guessed from (Scholar of Athreos / Sentry of the Underworld)
Uw - Ephara *guessed from (Ephara's Warden)
Rw - Iroas *guessed from (Priest of Iroas)
Bg - Pharika *guessed from (Pharika's Mender)
Ug - Kruphix *guessed from (Prophet of Kruphix)
Rg - ???Xenagos???
Ub - Phenax [god of lies and secrets] *guessed from (Disciple of Phenax/ DailyMTG - Uncharded Realms)
Rb - Mogis [god of minotaurs]*guessed from (Deathbellow Raider)
Ru - Keranos *guessed from (Steam Augury)

In an article about Theros, Mark Rosewater wrote:

I laid out my plan. We would have fifteen gods. Five monocolored gods that would be the major gods and ten two-colored gods that would serve as the minor gods. The colors would help give each god an identity that would tie the pantheon of gods to Magic. The design team loved the idea so I took it to the creative team. Brady gave me the thumbs up and we were good to go.

For those now wondering, the five major gods are in Theros. The ten minor gods will show up in Born of the Gods and Journey Into Nyx. The creative team did a great job of figuring out the different facets of the Greek gods and mixing and matching them to create Theros's gods, which had both a feel of Greek mythology and Magic's color wheel. Remember that the gods are not straight-up duplicates of the Greek gods but rather different components stitched together as dictated by the color philosophies. Also, not every choice made was the most obvious one, as the creative team came up with some pretty cool new ideas for gods.

I think it is 99.9% locked in that the 10 upcoming gods will be multi-colored.

Last edited by psrex (2013-12-04 23:32:58)

I am more trying to guess the "personality" of the minor gods - what kind of decks can be expected to build around them