Topic: Warhammer updates, Magic post-release changes

Database updates

We've been catching up on database updates today:

Warhammer has 2 packs from the new Eternal War cycle:

Days of Blood and Oaths of Vengeance: http://deckbox.org/games/whi/cards?f=4336.35

Many thanks again to Crux and Entropy for the data!

Magic the Gathering has some fixes for Venser vs Koth images for this set were not displaying properly, and we've imported the card data for Commander's Arsenal, so you can mark those cards in your inventory:
  http://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards?f=53112

Post release fixes

There are also many fixes and updates for post-release issues, that many users have kindly reported in the last few days. Of these, a couple are worth mentioning here so they do not get lost amongst all the other feedback posts:

• in deck listings, cards missing from your inventory are now highlighted with a red background

• by popular demand, the deck count column in inventory/tradelist/wishlist is back. It's now optional, so you have to enable it from the Columns dropdown in your sets. (it will be remembered for that set type from then on)

• the Power and Toughness columns are back, and chooseable from the same place

• the Mana Cost filter is now again usable for Magic cards

• local trades are now displayed again on users trade listings (after the release they were private, now they're again visible to everybody)

• sorting by price in listings had some problems displaying duplicate rows, these issues are now fixed

Future

Next up will be release 2.1 in the second half of january, bringing the much needed rewrite of the Trade Opportunities. We'll probably set up a preview of the new widgets / pages in a couple of weeks and ask you guys for feedback, as usual smile

Happy new year to everyone!

Re: Warhammer updates, Magic post-release changes

Happy New Year, deckbox team!  You are the best!
-Tom

Can we get power and toughness back in the deck view?
Thanks.

Thank you so much for Commander's Arsenal! I just got it for Christmas and was about to bug you about getting it in the system. Now, have you figured out a way to the Duels of the Planeswalkers precons in there yet?

Also, thank you for the total decks column again. I have a suggestion to make it more useful though: allow us to flag decks as 'active' or 'inactive.' As in, this deck is physically together or just a decklist for a past or future deck.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

There are still a few editions missing, e.g. Renaissance, Rinascimento and European Limited (Revised for German, Italian and French and 4th for Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese and Korean).
Korean language is missing completely.

This was actually an issue that existed prior to the updates:  When doing a trade, I have found that putting a zero in the count next to a card will often cause a different card to be removed from the trade.  When this happens, I have to refresh the page before it will work normally again.  Just a minute ago, I had to refresh after every card I removed.  That wasn't really well-written, so let me know if you need clarification.  Thanks!

I'd like to see the return of sort by quantity, as this is very useful for seeing which cards are missing from a playset.

Yea, i use sort by quantity in inventory view to see which cards i have too many of so i can get rid of them.

Edit: i used to anyway, it doesn't appear to work anymore,

Last edited by roz1281 (2013-01-06 20:15:37)

I would like to see the sorting of quantity in the inventory too. That was a great way to see and get rid of cards that we have too many of and don't need. But i would like to say how awesome this site is! Best on the web regardless!:D

Fropper wrote:

Korean language is missing completely.

Korean language is now added as a language option.

madoli wrote:

This was actually an issue that existed prior to the updates:  When doing a trade, I have found that putting a zero in the count next to a card will often cause a different card to be removed from the trade.  When this happens, I have to refresh the page before it will work normally again.  Just a minute ago, I had to refresh after every card I removed.  That wasn't really well-written, so let me know if you need clarification.  Thanks!

Are you still experiencing this issue? I've tried to reproduce it and I don't seem to be able to. Can you please make a screenshot of the trade when it happens, before and after the page refresh, so I can take a look at what exactly happens? It would help us greatly in finding the issue!

sebi wrote:

Korean language is now added as a language option.

Thank you!
Any info whether Rennaissance and the other missing editions will be added?
https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/produ … roductinfo

The others don't have an own official product page, but on mcm are lists available
https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/?mainPag … Available=

Fropper wrote:

Thank you!

We didn't have them because gatherer does not list them. We need to build an importer for magiccards.info for these sets. It's high prio now, so it will come in the next 2-3 of weeks, along with the trading opportunities rewrite.

sebi wrote:
madoli wrote:

Are you still experiencing this issue? I've tried to reproduce it and I don't seem to be able to. Can you please make a screenshot of the trade when it happens, before and after the page refresh, so I can take a look at what exactly happens? It would help us greatly in finding the issue!

Sure, Sebi.  I will keep it in mind - I only have one trade open right now, and it has so many cards in it that it would be difficult to restore it if I mess it up.  I'm not planning on starting a new trade soon, but I will take screenshots and make whatever notes I can the next time it happens.  In the meantime, if anyone else runs into this, can you take screenshots for Sebi?  I think at least one other person has told me they've run into this problem, but I don't remember who it was.

sebi wrote:
Fropper wrote:

Thank you!

We didn't have them because gatherer does not list them. We need to build an importer for magiccards.info for these sets. It's high prio now, so it will come in the next 2-3 of weeks, along with the trading opportunities rewrite.

That's awesome!  You guys are the best!

sebi wrote:
Fropper wrote:

Thank you!

Do you know if this importer will fix the current rules section on individual cards?

For example,
Illusionary Mask on deckbox.org currently reads:

You may put a creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your hand into play face down as a 0/1 creature. Put X mask counters on that creature. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery. The creature's controller may turn the creature face up any time he or she could play an instant by removing all mask counters from it. This effect ends if the creature is turned face up.

However, according to Gatherer, the current rules text should read:

You may choose a creature card in your hand whose mana cost could be paid by some amount of, or all of, the mana you spent on Variable Colorless. If you do, you may cast that card face down as a 2/2 creature spell without paying its mana cost. If the creature that spell becomes as it resolves has not been turned face up and would assign or deal damage, be dealt damage, or become tapped, instead it's turned face up and assigns or deals damage, is dealt damage, or becomes tapped. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

I've come across numerous discrepancies such as this. Wanted to make sure you were aware

Thanks

jfadeX wrote:

For example,
[...]

Interesting. The rules text we got from gatherer, back when we initially imported the db, in 2008. I did not know they change card rules text over time.... I thought changes are made in the rulings section only.

Does this happen for many cards?

sebi wrote:
jfadeX wrote:

For example,
[...]

Interesting. The rules text we got from gatherer, back when we initially imported the db, in 2008. I did not know they change card rules text over time.... I thought changes are made in the rulings section only.

Does this happen for many cards?

I know it happens from time to time.  Goblin King is one example.  It was originally defined as "Creature - Lord" and was later redefined as "Creature - Goblin".  The original rules text read:

Old Rules Text wrote:

All Goblins get +1/+1 and have mountainwalk. (They're unblockable as long as defending player controls a Mountain.)

Because they reclassified the card, they modified the rules to read:

Current Rules Text wrote:

Other Goblin creatures get +1/+1 and have mountainwalk. (They're unblockable as long as defending player controls a Mountain.)

The change was made so Goblin King's bonus would not apply to itself.  It was made prior to 2008, however, so Deckbox has the current rules text.

Refreshing the data you imported periodically (annually?) might be a good idea.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

madoli wrote:
sebi wrote:
madoli wrote:

Sure, Sebi.  I will keep it in mind - I only have one trade open right now, and it has so many cards in it that it would be difficult to restore it if I mess it up.  I'm not planning on starting a new trade soon, but I will take screenshots and make whatever notes I can the next time it happens.  In the meantime, if anyone else runs into this, can you take screenshots for Sebi?  I think at least one other person has told me they've run into this problem, but I don't remember who it was.

I e-mailed a video of the problem.  It occurs for me in internet explorer as well as firefox, and it happens even when i try to go really slow.

madoli wrote:
sebi wrote:
Fropper wrote:

Thank you!

That's awesome!  You guys are the best!

I second this.

As for the rules text changing, I believe the rules team updates Oracle (the official card text as opposed to the printed one) every time a new set comes out. Sometimes it's just keywording something (such as "fights" or "dies" from M12) but almost every Oracle update has a significant change for a couple of cards to make them work more smoothly within the rules.

Also, if 2008 is when you did the DB import, there will likely be a lot of subtle differences since they did the biggest comprehensive rules change sine 6th Edition in 2009, when M10 came out.

madoli wrote:

I e-mailed a video of the problem.  It occurs for me in internet explorer as well as firefox, and it happens even when i try to go really slow.

Thank you very much, it was of great help! It's fixed now, let us know if you see any other weird stuff happening.