Topic: Deck opinions.

First off; Hi there, this is kind of my first post here. I recently took my deck down to a Magic event and although I didn't really use it (Innistrad Pre-release) one of the shop locals gave it a quick once over and suggested I remove certain cards. The deck is this one; http://deckbox.org/sets/72280 it's the first deck I built myself, it's kind of my main deck and one of those 'myself as a Planeswalker' style decks. Which of course I'm a bit loathe to make any major changes, but it was suggested that the Zombie Giants and Caustic Hounds weren't pulling their weight. Well I believe the exact words were in regard to the Zombie Giants "get rid of these" and that the Caustic Hounds weren't "giving you much for six mana."

So what cards could I add that fit well with this deck?

Oh and uh, http://deckbox.org/sets/65017<-- What I have to work with.

Re: Deck opinions.

I agree with the suggestion that Zombie Goliaths and Caustic Hounds are not pulling their weight in the deck.  I think you have much better cards in your collection to pick from than those.  I would probably drop them for:

Bloodline Keeper
Grave Titan
Sun Titan
Sword of Feast and Famine

I would also suggest dropping the main-deck Celestial Purge for Solemn Simulacrum.  And removing cards that take multiple black to either cast or make good (e.g. Blind Zealot, Drifting Shade and Morbid Plunder) for some white cards like Blade Splicer, Suture Priest or Archon of Justice.

Lastly, I would adjust your mana base a little to compensate.  Maybe 16 Swamps and 8 Plains depending on what else you bring in.

Thanks a bunch for the reply and suggestions. I'll set about adjusting and try to work a little play-testing in.

Not a problem.  I am always happy to help when I have the time.  I hope you are happy with whatever changes you make and you have fun with the deck.  Good luck!

Well I got one play test in over the weekend and it didn't go exactly according to plan. It was a three player free for all match and while my one opponent was running a Green White Mana Ramp the other was using a Blue Mill deck and I kind of saw pretty much all the new stuff milled into my graveyard. >.<; Although Silent Simulacrum made an appearance as did Archon of Justice. Wound up killing the Green/White and ended in a tie with the Blue Player, I milled out due to the effect of a card I killed but I also managed to kill him with combat damage. hmm So yeah, more testing is required.

I'd drop both Caustic Hound for Grave Titan and Sun Titan. Also, it would be a good idea to include Dismember, maybe instead of Celestial Purge? It would be also good to have 2 Doom Blade replaced by 2 Go for the Throat (or maybe just waiting in sideboard, depending with whom you play? e.g. tempered steel - DB, Vamps - GFTT). I would also probably replace Gravedigger with Gatekeeper of Malakir.