Topic: Infection deck

Hello guys im new here. I've made an infection deck but i don't now is it good, may be better to put something better..so waiting for your comments, thx

http://deckbox.org/sets/97212

Re: Infection deck

The green you've added isn't very strong and that leaves little incentive to add a second color to the mana base.  I would recommend dropping the green altogether. 
I would also drop the Disentombs as I think there are simply better cards.

With the extra space I would potentially add 3 Contagion Engines and 3 Tezzeret's Gambits.

The land count is a little light; I would run 1 or 2 more, dropping a Doom Blade or Go for the Throat to make room.  By that rationale, I would pick either Doom Blade or Go for the Throat and drop the other card entirely. 

Let us know if you make any of these changes and how they work!

EDIT: Speeling is not always my strong suit.

Last edited by Tawnos (2011-11-04 20:53:47)

Well, thank you for answer, but if really i don't want to make blue-black deck,simply i looked on combo like Hand of the Praetors + Phyrexian Swarmlord and if apponent will have a creature with deathtouch then Phyrexian Hydra will prevent it..but also thank you i will try to make differences.

P.S What means speeling ?

nekiy2005 wrote:

Well, thank you for answer, but if really i don't want to make blue-black deck

That's fair; I don't really want you to build a blue-black deck.  It would, technically, be blue-black because of the inclusion of Tezzeret's Gambit but you wouldn't have any blue mana.  You would just pay the 2 life and 3 colorless for it instead.  So, really, the deck would play as if it were mono-black.

nekiy2005 wrote:

simply i looked on combo like Hand of the Praetors + Phyrexian Swarmlord

If someone told you that those two cards combo because the tokens created by Phyrexian Swarmlord cause Hand of the Praetors to trigger and give your opponent more poison counters they are, with all due respect, incorrect.  Hand of the Praetors states that you must "cast" a spell with infect.  This includes declaring the spell, paying any casting costs (e.g. mana, life, etc.), and placing the spell on the stack to be potentially countered.  Phyrexian Swarmlord states that it simply "puts" tokens directly on to the battlefield.  They are not the same thing, unfortunately. 

Don't get me wrong, shelling out a bunch of 2/2 infect creatures every turn IS an awesome play; but it's not one that is so amazing that I would choose it over Contagion Engine in this deck. 

nekiy2005 wrote:

and if apponent will have a creature with deathtouch then Phyrexian Hydra will prevent it..

This is true but it will also get smaller and very quickly become useless.  I see your point that it will be be good in a very specific situation but I doubt that situation will arise as often as Contagion Engine would be helpful. 

nekiy2005 wrote:

but also thank you i will try to make differences.

You are very welcome.  I thank you, as well, for taking the time to explain your opinion on my suggestions.  In the end, you know your environment better than I do; maybe you play against a TON of deathtouch creatures and artifact destruction.  In those cases, perhaps your original build is the way to go.  In a diverse environment (meta-game if you will) it's far more likely that 3 Contagion Engine + 3 Tezzeret's Gambit will outplay 2 Phyrexian Swarmlord + 2 Phyrexian Hydra + 2 Disentomb

nekiy2005 wrote:

P.S What means speeling ?

I was making fun of myself, speeling is "spelling" misspelled.

Well, thx again for answer BUT i think you're wrong because Hand of the Praetors says that whenever you cast a creature spell with infect, an apponent get's posion counter.
What about Contagion Engine look's good but i need 6 Mana ! to cast it, i think Black Sun's Zenith is much better than Conagion Engine
Ah,spelling smile
And sorry for any mistakes, i'm not good in english smile
Waiting for your asnwer ! smile

nekiy2005 wrote:

Well, thx again for answer BUT i think you're wrong because Hand of the Praetors says that whenever you cast a creature spell with infect, an apponent get's posion counter.)

But you're not casting those tokens, that's the main point. Putting them from an ability will not trigger any cast effect. I did the same mistake with Kaalia of the Vast and Dread Cacodemon until our local judge decided to point out i'm playing like a newb in an EDH game big_smile

nekiy2005 wrote:

Well, thx again for answer BUT i think you're wrong because Hand of the Praetors says that whenever you cast a creature spell with infect, an apponent get's posion counter.

You're welcome for the answer and I am glad that you responded.  And thanks to Mesther for supporting my point as well.  I totally understand where you are coming from; trust me, I've been there.  Here's an excerpt from the official game rules that may help:

601.2. To cast a spell is to take it from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its
costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect...

Putting tokens in to play with Phyrexian Swarmlord is considered a triggered ability since it happens "At the beginning of your upkeep" instead of whenever you decide to cast it. 

Outside of that, I agree with you that you would give your opponent 1 poison counter, 1 time when you cast the Swarmlord if you have a Hand of the Praetors in play.  But they won't get additional poison counters from Hand of the Praetors as the tokens that come in to play. 

If that's not what you meant by "combo" then I misunderstood and apologize. 

nekiy2005 wrote:

What about Contagion Engine look's good but i need 6 Mana ! to cast it, i think Black Sun's Zenith is much better than Conagion Engine

Contagion Engine targets a single player (presumably your opponent) and puts a -1/-1 counter on each of their creatures.  The following turn you can use the activated ability from the engine (pay 4 to proliferate twice) to put two additional -1/-1 counters on your opponents creatures AND give them two additional poison counters (if they had any already).  So, the Engine acts as both a way to clear you opponents board so your attackers can get through and a way to apply poison counters remotely (without attacking) in case they have shut down your ability to attack. 

The Zenith with just clear the board of all creatures (theirs and yours) leaving you to start over.  Then it just comes down to who has better cards in their hand at the time and/or who draws better cards.  I, personally, would rather not leave that to chance.

nekiy2005 wrote:

And sorry for any mistakes, i'm not good in english smile

Don't apologize for that.  I don't know what language you speak but I assure you my "whatever-your-language-is" is worse than your English wink  I applaud you for even attempting to speak more than your native language.

Last edited by Tawnos (2011-11-11 16:43:55)

Oh.. i didn't know that if i cast tokens, then Hand of the Praetors doesn't work.. ooh then my deck losing all "points".. dumn it.. well thank you very much guys for information about i didn't know anything i think now i will totally change my deck to blue-black because it was blue-black with some cards like Ponder Corrupted Consience Contagion Clasp [mtg][/mtg] and also Foresee and it was good.. ahr sad if it is not difficult to you guys, please tell me which cards better put in deck, i mean how to change deck totally ?:)
And thanks agaaain!

Here is a decent list of a popular mono-black infect deck.  It's the best infect deck there is right now; I wouldn't probably go blue black (aside from the Gambit).

http://magicgameplan.com/blog/mono-blac … -standard/

ou, i don't like this deck, absolutely hmm i think it's too slow.:/

Last edited by nekiy2005 (2011-11-11 20:58:56)

I can't say I agree with your reasoning there.  Turn 5 wins seem pretty reasonable with this deck and it is incredibly consistent with a good amount of control and evasion.  It's not exactly my choice for decks I would like to play but it sure looks powerful and fast to me. 

I don't want to get too far off track though.  If you want to re-tool a U/B infect deck then let's do that smile

I would maybe start another thread but that's up to you.

mm, may be i'm wrong.. hm, i think i will put that cards which u showed me.. i will write is it works or not !:)

It may be slow compared to say, the old monogreen infect deck (out of standard now) but as a player of black infect since day one I wouldn't say it's slow. You definitely want tezzeret's  gambit because one of the greatest weaknesses to a deck like this is that sometimes you'll just empty your hand playing a few creatures and using removal to get rid of big threats on your opponents side and you'll be left topdecking. Also a problem with some of the highcosting green creatures is that they just cost too much, do too little, and are very prone to being chump blocked. Don't get me wrong, their effects are great but it can take a bit for those effects to take their toll whereas if you have a lashwrithe on the field and play a Skithiryx with haste they have to have a way to kill right then or they will probably lose unless they have a flying blocker.
Also I'd suggest making use of things like inkmoths if you can get them. They give your deck reach and insurance in case of board wipes. You can also tune your deck to your local metagame. For instance a lot of people run the geist white weenies deck so I mainboard a tumble magnet for the mirran crusaders and a few tribute to hungers for the geists.

fuuuf..well i have already added in my deck 2 skitfryx, 2 tezzeret's gambit, and 1 Lashwrithe, i thought and understanded that's you guys are right and i'm troll, now deck is more mm hot to say.. it got some power now. Now it looks much better, aaam, now i'm searching for Contagion Engines and 1 more Lashwrithe , dropped 1 green and 1 another green creature and 2 artigact creatures,and 1 or 2 instants, sooooooooo now i want to ask,what means inkmoths? And guys,if it is possible,try to write more simply..because if really i understand only 40 % of text which you write.. i'm not good in english, thank you smile

It sounds like you are enjoying the changes.  That's great!

inkmoths means Inkmoth Nexus'.  They work well with Lashwrithe after board-clearing effects like Day of Judgment.

aa, yes , that's good card but it cost 10 euro hmm that's too many for me today hmm