2x Wear//Tear
2x Spear of Heliod
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Legion Loyalist
2x Boros Charm
2x Celestial Flare
1x Chained to the Rocks

Current List. Haven't had a strong chance to see what boarding is like, obviously

Last edited by Profanity (2013-09-23 17:28:33)

Re: Boros Midrange

Keep in mind that Pillar of Flame is rotating.

I also don't know that I would run Truefire Paladin, but that's just me.  Firefist Striker is big in constructed at the moment for a reason.

I would probably also swap one Mizzium Mortars for a second Boros Charm.

Aside from those things, there's some promise here.  The two-color decks like this that wouldn't really do much before are going to pick up some serious steam once rotation hits.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Keep in mind that Pillar of Flame is rotating.

Oh right. >_< well

I'm a huge fan of Truefire Paladin as almost a "poor man's Boros Reckoner" as it leaves you options on the turns you play Temple of Triumph and are holding a turn to move up your curve.

I'll try out the swap because you may be right given how ridiculously threatening an open RW makes an opponent on the brink of dying (also turns Akroan Hoplite into a must block)

Is Pantheon automatically better than Boros Elite? I was having trouble there

Last edited by Profanity (2013-09-14 21:21:33)

Profanity wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Truefire Paladin as almost a "poor man's Boros Reckoner" as it leaves you options on the turns you play Temple of Triumph and are holding a turn to move up your curve.

Is Pantheon automatically better than Boros Elite? I was having trouble there

I'm admittedly not seeing how Truefire is anything even close to Reckoner, but perhaps you have some experience with it that I'm not aware of.  Firefist Striker, Gore-house Chainwalker, Wojek Halberdiers, even Daring Skyjek all strike me as better options.  You might not be able to pump them, but in an aggro build you're going to need all that mana for other stuff.

Pantheon strikes me as better than elite simply because of the protection and, perhaps more importantly, because it will be one of your primary sources of life-gain.  Without it in there, you might as well not be running Archangel of Thune.

Don't forget Spear of Heliod, Legion's Initiative and even potentially Path of Bravery if you're looking to pump your guys.

So to replace Pillar of Flame, I was thinking 2 God's Willing in the main, and a single Chained to the Rocks in the board. Thoughts?

Profanity wrote:

So to replace Pillar of Flame, I was thinking 2 God's Willing in the main, and a single Chained to the Rocks in the board. Thoughts?

The question is what you really think you're going to need.  If you need removal, I would say to change to Chained to the Rocks for all the slots.  If you're after protection, Brave the Elements is a better spell hands down.  The only non-white creature you have in the entire build is Purphoros... so Brave either protects all of them from damage for a turn or gives you likely a completely free swing at the opponent.

My big weakness is likely Blood Baron of Vizkopa. Outside of Mizzium Mortars, Elspeth is my only answer to that. Chained to the Rocks doesn't touch that though, so frustration will be had. Then again, the chain does take down any gods that are fully devoted, which could be huge...

put in Akroan Hoptite asap :3

20 Creatures

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
2x Akroan Hoplite
2x Truefire Paladin
4x Boros Reckoner
2x Fiendslayer Paladin
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
2x Purphoros, God of the Forge
2x Archangel of Thune

12 Instant and Sorceries

4x Magma Jet
2x Boros Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars
3x Warleader's Helix

6 Other

2x Chained to the Rocks
2x Asemble the Legion
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

22 Lands

4x Sacred Foundry
2x Mutavault
4x Temple of Triumph
7x Plains
5x Mountain

SIDEBOARD:

2x Wear//Tear
2x Spear of Heliod
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Chained to the Rocks
2x Legion Loyalist
2x Boros Charm
2x Celestial Flare

VampireArmy wrote:

put in Akroan Hoptite asap :3

No worries he was an easy in smile

Profanity wrote:

My big weakness is likely Blood Baron of Vizkopa. Outside of Mizzium Mortars, Elspeth is my only answer to that. Chained to the Rocks doesn't touch that though, so frustration will be had. Then again, the chain does take down any gods that are fully devoted, which could be huge...

I mean I can see where he's an issue, but realistically, that's one card out there that you're fearing.  I would argue that he's easy enough to deal with if you toss in a few Celestial Flares in the SB.  It never targets him as it targets a player, not the creature.  But really, if you're only afraid of one card, odds are you're doing just fine.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I mean I can see where he's an issue, but realistically, that's one card out there that you're fearing.  I would argue that he's easy enough to deal with if you toss in a few Celestial Flares in the SB.  It never targets him as it targets a player, not the creature.  But really, if you're only afraid of one card, odds are you're doing just fine.

Is there something else potentially threatening that I'm not seeing? Flares already made the sideboard, so no worries there.

I really wish somebody on Cockatrice could properly explain to me how to update for Theros. They provide the link, but I'm not understanding the how-to at all. I want to test, dang it!!

Updated!

-1 Heliod, God of the Sun
+1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
+1 Mizzium Mortars
+1 Plains
-2 Akroan Hoplite
-2 Truefire Paladin
+2 Fiendslayer Paladin

Profanity wrote:

Updated!

-1 Heliod, God of the Sun
+1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
+1 Mizzium Mortars
+1 Plains
-2 Akroan Hoplite
-2 Truefire Paladin
+2 Fiendslayer Paladin

So wait, to be clear, you yanked Akroan Hoplite entirely from the build?

TyWooOneTime wrote:

So wait, to be clear, you yanked Akroan Hoplite entirely from the build?

Yeah. I really have been more midrange focused and he seems strictly for speed. I'm also focusing more on another deck, but this still might be a list worth making. Come game day and the next month here we'll see what decks are showing up