Topic: Feedback on an EDH Esper deck

Hi guys. I am making an Esper deck with flicker abilities and of course ETB effects. Me and some friends wanted to make actual Elder Dragon decks and I chose Chromium for the Esper color. Basically I have a few too many cards in my deck and I want some advice on what to ditch and what to replace. I am limited on funds and Karmic Guide is the most expensive thing I don't own in that deck. I do have Sen Triplets for play at a card shop, else I will get demolished with Chromium as my commander. This is meant to be a fun deck and not necessarily so OP that I win every game. I hate extra turn cards and personally wish they would be banned in EDH, so please do not suggest them.
Thanks in advance!

http://deckbox.org/sets/461255

(Don't look at the sideboard. Those are cards I have in other decks that I need another one of.)

Last edited by Mowza2k2 (2013-09-19 06:31:58)

I collect Requiem Angel and am always willing to take one in a trade.

Profile | Tradelist | Wishlist

Re: Feedback on an EDH Esper deck

Just by looking I think I can drop the Obelisk of Esper. Looks like the Evil Twin can be dropped because I don't NEED it, but it looks like a super fun card.

OOH! Forgot about Ashen Rider from Theros. Now I need to remove 3 cards.

Last edited by Mowza2k2 (2013-09-19 06:49:16)

In --> Out

Sphinx of Uthuun --> Merieke Ri Berit
Palinchron --> Wispmare
Sun Titan --> Glimmerpoint Stag
Mystical Teachings --> Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Beacon of Immortality + False Cure --> Sever the Bloodline + Mask of Riddles
Grave Titan --> Body Double
Frost Titan --> Admonition Angel
Cyclonic Rift (good, cheap card) --> Dromar, the Banisher
Hinder --> Chromium
Spell Crumple --> Dark Ritual
Counterspell -->  Far // Away
Equilibrium --> Bitter Ordeal
Capsize --> Sudden Disappearance
Dromar's Cavern --> Basic Land
-->Flicker
-->Stonehorn Dignitary
-->Sharuum the Hegemon
Sundial of the Infinite (exile cards for good through blinking then ending the turn) --> Sphinx Soverign

There are definitely some good cards in here. I tried to only add in cards that are less then $8 (Palinchron being the most expensive, but he is bonkers good). An out like Beacon + False Cure combo is always something good to have in there. There are some cards that are either not very good, or don't really serve much purpose like Sharuum (they won't be blowing up signets most games). All the titans are really good, and Sun Titan is a pseudo-ramp card with terramorphic + evolving + panorama, which is nice. Ertai/Mereike would almost be a better general because Sen Triplets doesn't really synergize with the deck and gets hated on real fast.

Alternatively, you could cut black and throw in green for cards like Sylvan Primordial, Terestodon, Avenger of Zendikar // Green ETB fatty to get some more consistent ramp going. Maybe Rubinia?

Some more expensive cards that would be really good are...

Mystical Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Sol Ring
Gilded Drake
Snapcaster Mage

Just my opinions.

ColtonisWright wrote:

In --> Out

Sphinx of Uthuun --> Merieke Ri Berit
Palinchron --> Wispmare
Sun Titan --> Glimmerpoint Stag
Mystical Teachings --> Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Beacon of Immortality + False Cure --> Sever the Bloodline + Mask of Riddles
Grave Titan --> Body Double
Frost Titan --> Admonition Angel
Cyclonic Rift (good, cheap card) --> Dromar, the Banisher
Hinder --> Chromium
Spell Crumple --> Dark Ritual
Counterspell -->  Far // Away
Equilibrium --> Bitter Ordeal
Capsize --> Sudden Disappearance
Dromar's Cavern --> Basic Land
-->Flicker
-->Stonehorn Dignitary
-->Sharuum the Hegemon
Sundial of the Infinite (exile cards for good through blinking then ending the turn) --> Sphinx Soverign

There are definitely some good cards in here. I tried to only add in cards that are less then $8 (Palinchron being the most expensive, but he is bonkers good). An out like Beacon + False Cure combo is always something good to have in there. There are some cards that are either not very good, or don't really serve much purpose like Sharuum (they won't be blowing up signets most games). All the titans are really good, and Sun Titan is a pseudo-ramp card with terramorphic + evolving + panorama, which is nice. Ertai/Mereike would almost be a better general because Sen Triplets doesn't really synergize with the deck and gets hated on real fast.

Alternatively, you could cut black and throw in green for cards like Sylvan Primordial, Terestodon, Avenger of Zendikar // Green ETB fatty to get some more consistent ramp going. Maybe Rubinia?

Some more expensive cards that would be really good are...

Mystical Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Sol Ring
Gilded Drake
Snapcaster Mage

Just my opinions.

Thanks for the reply! Now for my opinions on the matter, and you might be asking yourself why I even asked for help in the first place.

Spinx of Uthuun -- I played with it before and personally disliked it, I have had multiple people tell me how fun and great it is. Just personal preference I guess with that one.
Palinchron -- I do want, and I thought it was more than $10, I may be able to splurge and buy/trade one at some point.
Sun Titan -- Have wanted for a while now. Forgot why I removed it from this decklist....
Mystical Teachings -- Looks fun, didn't know the card existed.
Beacon + False Cure combo -- Looks fun. I could ditch the mask, but I love Sever the Bloodline
Grave and Frost Titan -- Dislike Frost Titan and only thing about Grave Titan I like is the Deathtouch. (Honestly not too fond of any of the Titans. Would love Primevile but banned in EDH, so don't actually want.)
Hinder and Spell Crumple -- Love Spell Crumple in EDH, Hinder doesn't look bad either.
Equilibrium -- Looks fantastic, I think I will get one of these.
Capsize -- Yea, a good card I had forgotten about.

For what I want to keep in.
Chromium -- My Commander >.>
Dromrar's Cavern -- Why not? It's EDH, it doesn't slow me down THAT much. Plus 3 color land. What isn't there to like about it?
Sudden Disappearance -- Has won me games multiple times. Love it, could remove it from the deck, but it would be like pulling a tooth.
Merieke -- I just had one, thought it would be fun to throw in.
Not sure why Admonition Angel was still in the deck, it never did fit...

I also don't want to cut black. I have wanted to make an Esper deck for quite some time. Granted it is nowhere near as powerful as I know Esper can be, I love the color combo and probably my favorite of the 3 color decks.
As far as Sen Triplets goes, I love the flavor. And my friends are all mad I got one, I regret nothing. Yea it doesn't fit my deck but why not? Good card with great flavor.

Mystical Tutor -- Have one, sitting in my Jhoira WIP EDH deck.
Demonic Tutor -- Would LOVE one...eventually I will get one.
Sol Ring -- Also would LOVE one.....if I had one it would likely go in one of my other decks though....
Gilded Drake -- Also would LOVE one. If I had one though it would go into my Zedruu deck.
Snapcaster -- Too much for what it does. I know it is powerful, but I don't need one nor do I want one THAT badly.

All in all great advice. The only problem I have now is acquiring the new cards, I have little in the way of trades right now.
Thanks!