Topic: Booster packs, how many?

My hubby and I have just started, and I was wondering how many booster packs in a block most of you buy before you just buy the singles you want. Where is the point of diminishing returns?

I played Yu Gi Oh with my son and his friends when he was 10 or so, and I just bought the cards I wanted. I knew I wouldn't play it long-term but I was surprised at how much fun it was. I'm approaching Magic as more of a long-term thing.

Jaz

Last edited by jazhi (2012-01-27 23:17:02)

Re: Booster packs, how many?

If you are not doing something with the packs, such a draft or sealed tournament tan your ROI from each pack is always low.  If you just want the cards go find common and uncommon sets on ebay, and purchase the rares you want.  You will save a bunch of money.  I buy a box and play sealed tournaments with friends so i get more enjoyment out of it.

I personally buy a box as soon as the set drops and then participate in drafts as well.

I found that buying a sealed box gives you all the common/uncommon and a huge chunk of the rares.

I have to honestly say i purchase approximately 1/2 a case (case= 6 boxes). Im also more of a competitive player which means i have to try to avoid purchasing cards around release as the prices tend to be more inflated, and when a card is in the latest and greatest deck it also see a massive price increase.

I have noticed that in 1/2 a case i get approximately playsets of all the commons and playsets of the uncommons as well (except in some situations). While the rares i tend to avg about 3-4 of each and the mythics i tend to get 1-2 but these are all averages.

I know im an exception to the above three but i can't stand not opening packs for some reason i just find it oddly amusing and fun.

Thanks. That gives me a general idea of what most people do. We've each bought one box of the 2012 core set and Innistrad so far, and it sounds like that is pretty normal. About 3/4 through the box I start thinking that I should just buy the cards I'm missing, even if that isn't as much fun.

Yeah, buying boxes and booster packs can be more fun, as it's the unknown. However, if you're wanting to save money, or don't have many opportunityies to trade your spares for cards you want, it's better to put together a want list and buy the cards separately.

Here in Australia, booster packs cost $6 each, and boxes from $150-$180. While individual card prices around the world remain pretty much the same. So it's quite rare that we make our moneys worth on booster packs. Most people here buy individual cards, unless we're playing sealed games with the packs.

I almost always buy one booster box from my local shop (for the buy a box promo card), a fat pack (for the collectors guide and dice) and usually at least one intro deck to participate in some of the bonus side events that happen during pre-release and release events.  I then play sealed limited draft's 3 to 9 times a month depending on the month.

After all that I tends to have the majority of what I need for 2x to 3x playsets for commons and 1x to 2x playsets of uncommons.  I usually keep a short list of cards I need handy to read before drafting so that I can pick them up if there is not a particular important card I need to actually win.

Oh, I didn't know about the buy a box promo card. I'll have to ask about that!

jazhi wrote:

Oh, I didn't know about the buy a box promo card. I'll have to ask about that!

You can get it at participating stores.  Generally if they have sanctioned events they should have the buy a box promo.  Most offer it with pre-ordering the box and if there is enough left over sometimes you might get it with a non-preordered box.