Topic: help with a budget deck

Hi

I need some help with a budget deck ,i'm planning to enter it in a beginner tournament . The rules are the total value of the deck including sideboard cannot exceed $100 (sideboard included) , the deck can contain a maximum of 4 mythic cards , 8 rares , and 16 uncommons .

The format is Standard .

Not having too many cards I decided on the Sliver deck from the m14 player's guide (http://deckbox.org/sets/505065  ) .

I'm pretty sure it can be made better just not really sure how , I am thinking of replacing Shock with Magma Jet for the scry ability and the shimmering grotto with transguild promenade

Thanks

Last edited by Lukecelmare (2013-10-15 10:32:51)

Re: help with a budget deck

hmm not sure what to take out yet but

+2Frontline Medic basically can give your slivers indestructibility while attacking

+2 Boros Charm

+1Chromatic Lantern

or you could do +1 frontline, +2 chromatic

For what it's worth, here's the sliver build I pieced together.  http://deckbox.org/sets/434636.

I never took it to an FNM, but I see no reason it wouldn't at least do something for you.

For the budget concerns, if you yank the walkers and lands, you should actually be down below $100.

You would have 10 rares as it currently sits, so you could probably afford to lose the 2x Mizzium Mortars for lesser removal.  That would put you at 8 rares (4x Bonescythe, 2x Megantic, 2x Door of Destinies).

I'm only seeing 4 uncommons in the Manaweft Slivers, so you certainly have some leeway there to modify things.

For mythics, I've actually thought Primeval Bounty would be a solid pick in here, as it will turn late game dead cards into threats and ALWAYS impacts the board.

But, looking at your build, I really would consider making sure the curve is lower.  The real strength of slivers is their synergy with one another, making each threat that much more dangerous as the game goes on.  Adding things like trample (Groundshaker Sliver) or the pinging effect from Thorncaster Sliver really just aren't necessary.  You would probably do better with some simple removal like Lightning Strike, Shock, and Magma Jet.

I updated with cards I have , unfortunately I do not have all the cards on your deck right now , plus I don't really know  a lot of people I can trade with for them , it's kinda short notice as I need it for this weekend . Not sure what else I can do , having started playing with M14 I am missing fancy lands so I think I should keep lay of the land

If you have a local gaming/card/comic store that sells singles I'm pretty sure you could pick up anything on that list for pretty cheap.

unfortunately the closest one is 85 km away (around 52 miles) and i'm not sure they sell singles . I get most of my Magic products online shipping takes around a week or more if order from the States .

I will try and make the most out of this  deck .

How long do you have before said tournament?

it's Saturday smile Ow well i'm going to have some fun at least , hope I don't loose to bad big_smile

goodluck