Topic: Foil pricing is inconsistent

I am curious if anyone else has notice the fact that the pricing on this site for newer higher end foil  cards is way off compared to what they're actually selling for....examples:

M14 - Chandra, Pyromaster - Shows the value at like $31 something....Star City Games will buy this card for $50 right now and turn around and put $99.99 on it.

RTR - Sphinx's Revelation - Shows the value somewhere around $27....yet again SCG will buy it for $20 and put $39.99 on it(Which they are sold out of).

I realize that these are sales prices at retail locations for this stuff....but if a huge retailer like SCG is paying $50 cash for a card....and offering +25% for trades....the TCGPlayer pricing #'s are way off.

I have done an extensive amount of trading / selling / collecting of sports cards for many years before getting into Magic, and the standard trade values for cards are generally around 2x what they sell for in cash value...

Can anyone provide some insight into why Deckbox thinks my 2 foils are worth way less than they actually are? Other than it using TCGPlayer "Mid" pricing...since their pricing guides on their page don't even account for Foil versions of these cards from what I see.

Re: Foil pricing is inconsistent

Hijinks wrote:

I am curious if anyone else has notice the fact that the pricing on this site for newer higher end foil  cards is way off compared to what they're actually selling for....examples:

M14 - Chandra, Pyromaster - Shows the value at like $31 something....Star City Games will buy this card for $50 right now and turn around and put $99.99 on it.

RTR - Sphinx's Revelation - Shows the value somewhere around $27....yet again SCG will buy it for $20 and put $39.99 on it(Which they are sold out of).

I realize that these are sales prices at retail locations for this stuff....but if a huge retailer like SCG is paying $50 cash for a card....and offering +25% for trades....the TCGPlayer pricing #'s are way off.

I have done an extensive amount of trading / selling / collecting of sports cards for many years before getting into Magic, and the standard trade values for cards are generally around 2x what they sell for in cash value...

Can anyone provide some insight into why Deckbox thinks my 2 foils are worth way less than they actually are? Other than it using TCGPlayer "Mid" pricing...since their pricing guides on their page don't even account for Foil versions of these cards from what I see.

Deckbox doesn't differentiate between foil prices and regular now. it is a bug. Just have to look them up yourself.

Deckbox never actually differentiated between foils. Its really the only thing that this site doesnt do at all. As all ready stated you just have to go to TCGplayer.com and actually lookup the price of the foil.

Thanks for confirming this for me...I still don't see where in the pricing guides on TCGPlayer.com that I can find pricing specifically for foil cards....which could explain why there is a failure to obtain the correct pricing for foil cards?

Hijinks wrote:

Thanks for confirming this for me...I still don't see where in the pricing guides on TCGPlayer.com that I can find pricing specifically for foil cards....which could explain why there is a failure to obtain the correct pricing for foil cards?

Look up any card on TCG, click the edition that you want, and scroll to the bottom of the page. It will show you a Low/Mid/High for foil prices