Topic: Cards without edition symbols

Hey everyone!

I'm incredibly new to the website but I've been playing MTG for at least 6 years. In all that time I haven't really paid attention to the edition of each card. Now that I'm going through and organizing them all, I've noticed that some of them don't have symbols. Does anyone know what edition they would come from without it? Is that possible?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Cards without edition symbols

You can usually tell what edition it is by the date at the bottom.  There are also, some specific markers depending on the cards, borders, text, art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ma … ering_sets

See the image I have attached, it will help you identify sets in a flowchart layout.
http://deckbox.org/forum/misc.php?item=237&download=0

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-20 15:56:56)

Post's attachments

Flowchart 01.GIF 104.35 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-11-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

gumgodMTG wrote:

See the image I have attached, it will help you identify sets in a flowchart layout.

Thank you! That really helps!!

gumgodMTG wrote:

Not sure if this will help without knowing how old the cards are, but being in a similar situation trying to index cards I have not seen for over a decade, one shortcut I can add to the flowchart:

4th and 5th can easily be separated by looking at the start of the copyright text. With 4th Edition the text starts to the left of the card frame. In  5th edition it lines up exactly with bottom of the frame. --I might be wrong, but it matches perfectly with every art/text change and the like I can remember, and much easier then trying to read tiny dates.

The other ones like Starter 2000, or the box sets should have the copyright info centralized. Again just easier to see quickly.

I always just look it up on oracle and compare the image.

The cards with dates on them are easy to identify.  The things that I see people mixing up are Revised and Unlimited and sometimes Chronicles with their black bordered equivalent.  When you get into foreign sets like Renaissance and special sets like Battle Royale and Anthologies it can become even more confusing...  The flow chart is one of the most straight forward ways I've found to help people who are new to the game identify old stuff without having to memorize it all.  Once you've been playing a while though, you'll learn the differences.  smile

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-20 15:55:05)